Engines/transmission mount problems with 2011 Mazda3
I have another car question, as the Big Blue folks have been helpful in the past.

About a week ago, our 2011 Mazda3 started making a very loud & noticeable scraping/rattling creaking noise coming from (I think) the front of the car. It mainly happens when driving slowly at 30 mph or less, especially when going over speedbumps. It's totally fine on the highway driving at 50-60 mph. 

I had the car diagnosed at our Mazda dealer yesterday. They said the #3 engine mount is failing as well as the transmission mount. This may or may not be the cause of the issue. But I did some googling, and consulted with a retired mechanic friend, and found out that these failing mounts could very well be the cause. As the mounts fail, various components in and around the engine become loose and rub against each other, thus making noise.

I had another mechanic friend look at it two days ago and he said the suspension was fine. The Mazda dealer also didn't see any obvious suspension problems. 

Does this make sense and has anyone else had similar engine/tranny mount problems with their cars?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Rob, Bad engine and transmission mounts are most likely your problem and they should be replaced ASAP. Broken mounts can allow the engine to shift and do serious damage to other components sometime very costly to repair. 
Charlie
(01-17-2024, 10:11 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Rob, Bad engine and transmission mounts are most likely your problem and they should be replaced ASAP. Broken mounts can allow the engine to shift and do serious damage to other components sometime very costly to repair. 
Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. I'm understanding this better now and have an appointment with a local garage tomorrow to get this fixed.
Rob I am glad you are getting it fixed, let us know when you are back and running safe.
Charlie
(01-17-2024, 10:30 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Rob I am glad you are getting it fixed, let us know when you are back and running safe.
Charlie

Thanks! will do.
Took it to my mechanic today and he is 100% sure that it's a ball joint and control arm issue. With the car turned off, you can actually replicate the sound by pushing up & down on the front left of the car. Have it booked in for early next week. Thanks.
(01-17-2024, 10:01 PM)GreenDiesel Wrote: Took it to my mechanic today and he is 100% sure that it's a ball joint and control arm issue. With the car turned off, you can actually replicate the sound by pushing up & down on the front left of the car. Have it booked in for early next week. Thanks.

I am glad he will be addressing the issue but have him check those mounts too. Even if they are not the cause of the noise they can still break and cause serious damage.  
Charlie
The plot thickens. Took it to a local garage today (that I've used for 25+ years) and they were adament that the mounts were fine. Said the issue was caused by a balljoint/control arm that is beginning to wear. Relieved about this as it's less expensive but angry with the dealership.