Past DCC to straight Android/iPhone control?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/ihobby2014/html5/index.html?page=1">http://resources.bachmanntrains.com/iho ... tml?page=1</a><!-- m -->

It looks like DCC on a Smartphone, but its actually even more revolutionary. Its an APP, just a set of drivers.

This drastically reduces the cost of DCC to just the Chip. JUST the Chip. Because your $300-500 DCC device is now FREE. Ist Still a $300-600 device, but you didn't buy it for a decoder, you bought it as a multifunction miniature computer, not a throttle. You already have it (or you can get it free with a phone plan that you're already using). so that is 'Free'. Bachmann is GIVING away the app in trainsets. Its FREE. Its just the cost of the chip in the locomotive. So the device is free and the app is free, and the trains also work as DC without any changes if the bluetooth is not active.

Looks like if you aren't invested in DCC, this will be something to look into.

The Antenna may be too large for N-scale unless some other tricks happen, but even if this new level 4, 100 meter range bluetooth isn't viable for N, the Class 3, 30-meter range is probably good enough for most usage.

thoughts anyone?
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
I had a friend who did radio control and on-board batteries in Garden scale. Similar in a way.

But since HO is a bit small for on-board batteries, what supplies the power, at what voltage, and in what form?

Andrew
Looks to be a remote throttle. It is not DCC or anything like it according to the forum <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,28381.0.html">http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... 381.0.html</a><!-- m --> They claim their equipped locomotive will run on DCC powered track as well as DC. I'm glad I bought the 250 buck PA2.
While I can see it is possible I am wondering how much interference other blue tooth devices will cause. I could not find any prices yet.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Charlie
Of no interest to me.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
MasonJar Wrote:I had a friend who did radio control and on-board batteries in Garden scale. Similar in a way.

But since HO is a bit small for on-board batteries, what supplies the power, at what voltage, and in what form?

Andrew

the power in the rail is supposed to provide the power.
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
ScrewySqrl Wrote:
MasonJar Wrote:I had a friend who did radio control and on-board batteries in Garden scale. Similar in a way.

Andrew

the power in the rail is supposed to provide the power.

So the other cost then is for something to power the track.

It seems like a neat idea, but I have enough trouble getting my iPhone to talk to my Bluetooth speaker...! 35

Andrew
I just have enough trouble trying to use my smart phone without the stress of crashing or de railing my trains. Icon_lol

Oh yeah the features are all great but how about being able to make and receive calls without having to reset the thing by pulling it apart to unplug the battery. Like I am doing right now to be able to call message bank. Curse
20 min s of messing around to return a call. This phone Shoot

I would love to have my old Nokia back or the old brick, but apparently Microsoft has mothballed the Nokia name.

So much for just wanting a simple phone any more.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH. Wallbang

I will go take a chill pill or a walk or both. 357
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More