How much can we justify spending?
Eh, even airplanes don't necessarily need wings. The "fins" on the X24A only help the plane steer (I'm sure thrusters would do the same thing in space). The unique shape of the body actually creates lift, allowing it to fly. For a time, Lockheed Martin had a plan for a replacement space shuttle using this style of aircraft. It definitely has advantages in terms of internal volume.

[Image: Martin_X-24A_USAF.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
USAF "Flying Saucer" from the '50s.Not that many years after the Roswell,N.M. incident-just saying..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/10/08/us-air-force-declassifies-plans-for-flying-saucer/">http://www.foxnews.com/science/2012/10/ ... ng-saucer/</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Eh, even airplanes don't necessarily need wings.
Wouldn't an AIR plane without wings be a rock? Goldth They only fly as long as the momentum overcomes gravity.
Charlie
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Eh, even airplanes don't necessarily need wings. The "fins" on the X24A only help the plane steer (I'm sure thrusters would do the same thing in space). The unique shape of the body actually creates lift, allowing it to fly. For a time, Lockheed Martin had a plan for a replacement space shuttle using this style of aircraft. It definitely has advantages in terms of internal volume.

Then, of course, is the plane that doesn't need a body and is all wings:

[Image: YB49-2_300.jpg]
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
MountainMan Wrote:every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Icon_lol Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol Icon_lol

..........and if that is hard to believe, just look at the reaction the original posting of this thread has "caused" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Icon_lol Icon_lol Cheers Icon_lol Icon_lol

..........and if that is hard to believe, just look at the reaction the original posting of this thread has "caused" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I forgot what I started talking about Fear not, I'll come back to me sooner or later. Icon_lol Icon_lol

Oh yeah, we started talking about an overpriced HO mining shovel and would up talking about full-sized aircraft adn the dynamics of flying... 357 No biggie, we do it all the time, it's what makes some of our threads as interesting as they are. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Quote:Oh yeah, we started talking about an overpriced HO mining shovel and would up talking about full-sized aircraft and the dynamics of flying... No biggie, we do it all the time, it's what makes some of our threads as interesting as they are.

and the mining shovel is still overpriced Eek :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Catt Wrote:
Quote:Oh yeah, we started talking about an overpriced HO mining shovel and would up talking about full-sized aircraft and the dynamics of flying... No biggie, we do it all the time, it's what makes some of our threads as interesting as they are.

and the mining shovel is still overpriced Eek :mrgreen:

As are the wingless and the flying wing aircrafts 35 35 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Four pages of comments to get to, "WAH my hobby is changing without me!"
railohio Wrote:Four pages of comments to get to, "WAH my hobby is changing without me!"

Huh? Where?

I been modeling the same way for decades so,what change? :o 357
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
railohio Wrote:Four pages of comments to get to, "WAH my hobby is changing without me!"

Huh? Where?

I been modeling the same way for decades so,what change? :o 357

It's a lot more expensive than it was even 10 or 20 years ago. There's DCC and sound, great if you can afford it, then the cost of everything else has skyrocketed. Would you have ever been presented with the chance to spend over $500 for an engine or $6,000 for one model back then, no matter how finely detailed?... That's what has changed. Sad

Nobody's crying about it here, if someone has the wherewithal and the desire to spend that kind of money, all the best to them. For the rest of us, we can only shake our heads and wonder what it would be like to have those kind of resources. Icon_lol

I've always thought this was an interesting thread, even though it took a few turns. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don said "I've always thought this was an interesting thread, even though it took a few turns. Thumbsup "

Johnathan says , "But the straight and narrow is soooo boring. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:"
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Don,Even if I had the extra wherewithal I sure wouldn't spend it on a high dollar DCC/Sound locomotive since I already have a Bachmann S4 with DCC/Sound..I'm eagerly awaiting Bachmann's GP9 with DCC/Sound.

Many complain about Bachmann's decoder but,it does everything I require-speed steps and momentum.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Wink Just imagine what this,HOn3 outside frame 2-6-6-2, finished, :
Yeah :oops: it's still a work in progress
    would cost if it were a "purchased Brass model" Eek
That,.................. is why I learned how to scratch build ! Wink Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Brakie Wrote:Don,Even if I had the extra wherewithal I sure wouldn't spend it on a high dollar DCC/Sound locomotive since I already have a Bachmann S4 with DCC/Sound..I'm eagerly awaiting Bachmann's GP9 with DCC/Sound.

Many complain about Bachmann's decoder but,it does everything I require-speed steps and momentum.

Interesting thought, but what if we all had unlimited funds to buy whatever we wanted, just what would be buy? Would we decide that we wanted to go with the best DCC and sound system money could buy, then buy all new engines equipped accordingly? :? I suppose we could simply scrap everything we have and watch one of those companies that advertise in MRR build us that 1000 square foot layout that we dreamed someday of owning? Nope Perhaps we would build a layout fitting for a $6200 shovel and buy a few of them and some others of equal value, just to make our layouts more realistic. :o Or...would we just go a bit more than we do already and buy just a few things that we've always wanted, but thought were beyond our present means? Thumbsup After all, don't we get enjoyment with what we are doing now and really don't need a lot of expensive stuff to keep us happy. Big Grin

If I had unlimited funds to spend, I might go over to DCC and add sound. I might retrofit a few of my engines and buy a few more already equipped for DCC. I might even hire someone to clean and repair my track and to install new track when needed since doing trackwork is the one thing about the hobby that I really don't enjoy and therefore, don't do that well. Nope Who knows, I might just buy a bigger house with room for a bigger layout, then switch to HO so I don't have so much trouble getting all the wheels on the tracks as I do with N scale. 357 If it weren't for the last two items, I know I'd run trains more often, and so that's probably where I'd spend some of that money. Smile

What would you all do if you had unlimited funds to spend on your railroad??????
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and