Video: local run w/ modified waybills and simple swichlist
I'll offer what I think is my best video effort so far. It includes a demonstration of how I determine the make-up and work of a train and the use of a switchlist.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2qKciGRDk&feature=youtube_gdata">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2qKci ... tube_gdata</a><!-- m -->
Ralph,Nice video..The switchlist is the better idea since that's what govern our work not the waybill.

BTW.I will overlook the switching errors you made. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Goldth I appreciate that Brakie...but I wouldn't mind hearing your professional evaluation of some of the moves.
I always like the color, lighting, and photography on your layout. On the videos, I like the variety of your freight cars and what you've done with weathering. As I said on an earlier post, the sound works well, because it's not much different from the sound dubbed into DVDs from the 1970s. I also like how you keep challenging yourself to do more!

A slight comment on how you name the local. This isn't universal, and there are always going to be exceptions, but a train ID with end points as letters, like KM, would tend to be a manifest. I believe the union agreements with manifests tend to limit local-style pickups, and for general efficiency, you don't want a train that has to get between end points within 12 hours to spend a lot of time switching. Locals tend to have different identifiers. I don't know what local iDs were like on Penn Central. On the UP, they have an "L" prefix and a yard ID, plus a number. Someone else may be able to help with what local IDs look like on other railroads -- I think they had a "W" and a yard ID on Conrail.

Because I worked a lot with computers when I worked for a living, I've always liked computer-based switchlist generators, but that's a personal preference. Especially if you have a fairly small number of cars and industries, a manual system like yours works fine and is as adjustable as any other.
Thanks for the comments jwb! I've been doing some online research regarding symbols for PC locals and haven't come up with much today. I posted the question on a PC forum. We'll see if some one can provide an answer. It would be nice to know the prototype practice. Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:Goldth I appreciate that Brakie...but I wouldn't mind hearing your professional evaluation of some of the moves.

As soon as I finish Slate Creek I plan on doing a video on prototype switching.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

THAT would be interesting! I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime would you be willing to comment on one thing you saw in my video that could be done more prototypically? As I make these little films it would be nice to show ops stuff that is more true to the way its done.

Thanks!
Ralph
Very nicely done Ralph. Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup I wish I could get inspired but currently in a fink on the models. Waiting for a new tap and die set so I can put a couple couples on a locomotive model that just has no easy Kadee couple.
Charlie
jwb Wrote:.... a train ID with end points as letters, like KM, would tend to be a manifest. I believe the union agreements with manifests tend to limit local-style pickups, and for general efficiency, you don't want a train that has to get between end points within 12 hours to spend a lot of time switching. Locals tend to have different identifiers. I don't know what local iDs were like on Penn Central. On the UP, they have an "L" prefix and a yard ID, plus a number. Someone else may be able to help with what local IDs look like on other railroads -- I think they had a "W" and a yard ID on Conrail.

I received a quick reply to my query on the Penn Central Forum on Railroad.net. I was given the example of the train designation for a local from Kingston, NY to Bloomville on the Catskill Mountain Branch. The job was called KB-1 from Kingston to Bloomville, while the Bloomville to Kingston run was BK-2. Seems like the PC used the their standard letter/number system for locals in this case. I'll try to learn more.

Ralph
Charlie B Wrote:Very nicely done Ralph. Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup I wish I could get inspired but currently in a fink on the models. Waiting for a new tap and die set so I can put a couple couples on a locomotive model that just has no easy Kadee couple.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie. I still enjoy bringing up your videos of Pennsy trains passing. My cat Lucy still comes running when she hears the loco sounds and perches on the computer table to watch the long line of cars move off screen.

Ah! for the want of a couple of couplers! Hope you can get that loco into service soon!
The taps didn't make ittoday as they were promised. As for locals in PC days, ours was CA1 (Conway-Alliance) and AC2 .
Thanks for that confirmation Charlie!

Hope the taps arrive tomorrow!
Ralph,Here's what I notice to be the most glaring.

When switching Kosco you should have stopped before backing across the unprotected crossing so the brakeman could flag protect the crossing-the head brakeman would have stayed at the switch while the rear brakeman handle the work.

You spotted your cabin where it would block the motorist track view-they can't see any on coming train.Safety rules would require you to leave the cabin at least 60' from the crossing if possible if not possible a flagman will be used to direct traffic.

You bump and shoved..You should stop after making the joint..The brakeman will need to connect the air hoses since your are a main line local not a yard job.Also the brakeman would need to flag the unprotected crossing so,a stop was required.

Overall you nailed it pretty good.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Ah! Good stuff! Thanks Brakie!
Good job...!!!

You've got a great layout...And it operates nicely.. Thumbsup

Two observations...
1- The use of the 0-5-0 to make up a train.... Nope Yard switching and train make-up are, for me, the fun part of operations...
2- I feel your switching speed is a little fast at times..

Question...Where do you get the cards..??

Let's see so' more...11
Gus (LC&P).