Help With Wireing Up Several Modules
Hi guys

wondering if somebody can help me out here. Some of you may have read/heard about my plans for the M&ET modules that im going to be starting, yeah i know i keep saying im going to start them and then keep delaying :oops: but there coming soon i promise Misngth

How am i going to wire these things? I just counted on my plan and all together 34 modules in all Eek Misngth lol (mind you this is modeling work for years to come).

I want to be able to run a few modules at a time. Take maybe a set of 4-5 modules from the storage racks and string them together so its one long line 30' long (each and every module is 60" long). Ive never wired anything before, so this is going to be my first go at it all. I have read and understand how to do feeders and the bus wire and such, im just concerned how im going to connect each module's wires?

I am going to be using a MRC Prodigy Wireless DCC System if this helps. Any and all advise, suggestions.... are welcome, and thanks in advance Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Well seeing as its going to be DCC its super easy , basicly your running the main DCC buss line from one module on to the next , I use 12 guage house wire for my main buss wire. So once you have the main buss below the module you just need to run feeders up through to the rails from the main buss. So each module will probably have its own main buss line and feeders so its then your choice how you connect from module buss line to module buss line, there are all kinds of ways to connect them like a terminal strip which may be overkill seeing as you will only have 2 buss wires unless you plan on running a seperate buss line for DC assesories like building lites and such or if you plan on using tortoise switch for turnouts, anyway you can then simply attach the DC and DCC buss lines to these terminals via a screw hold down.Hopefully this helps.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Thanks Lynn, that does help me out Misngth

Is there any way that i could connect them like sockets? if you can, that seems like it will be the easiest. Like a male plug on one end and a female plug on the other end of each module?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I am not sure of the specifics of the Prodigy, but with Digitrax (what I use) you actually have two sets of connections to make.

1) The power bus. Use the heavy duty two-wire trailer plugs. They can handle the load over big distances (hotrak.ca routinely sets up more than 100 modules every January), and they are impossible to plug in wrong. See picture below)

2) The control network. Digitrax uses 6P6C telephone jacks (RJ-12) to wire the "LocoNet" together. Check your MRC instructions to see if anything different is required. It looks like it may be a CAT-5/CAT-6 type of connection - but don't take my word for it...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew

Attached Files Image(s)

http://www.trainweb.org/freemoslo/Module.../index.htm

Josh, here is a pretty solid link to give you some ideas. The pdf. file for the NorCalF Standards and Guidelines has some good instructions for Free Mo with pictures and wiring diagrams for doing up modules.

You said before that you were building these to another standard? Might be best to do some checking to see what the standards are for your group and go from there. Good Luck Bro! Thumbsup
MasonJar Wrote:I am not sure of the specifics of the Prodigy, but with Digitrax (what I use) you actually have two sets of connections to make.

1) The power bus. Use the heavy duty two-wire trailer plugs. They can handle the load over big distances (hotrak.ca routinely sets up more than 100 modules every January), and they are impossible to plug in wrong. See picture below)

2) The control network. Digitrax uses 6P6C telephone jacks (RJ-12) to wire the "LocoNet" together. Check your MRC instructions to see if anything different is required. It looks like it may be a CAT-5/CAT-6 type of connection - but don't take my word for it...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew

Thanks for the Pic Andrew, those look like they would work really well Misngth

I dont have the MRC Prodigy Wireless just yet, prolly another 2-3 weeks, i got a guy holding the used set for me lol Misngth so when i get it ill check the manual out
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
tetters Wrote:http://www.trainweb.org/freemoslo/Module.../index.htm

Josh, here is a pretty solid link to give you some ideas. The pdf. file for the NorCalF Standards and Guidelines has some good instructions for Free Mo with pictures and wiring diagrams for doing up modules.

You said before that you were building these to another standard? Might be best to do some checking to see what the standards are for your group and go from there. Good Luck Bro! Thumbsup

Thanks for the link tetters!! Misngth Ill check it out.

My M&ET modules will be loosely based on the Free-Mo Standards, and only 8 of them will be built to full Free-Mo Standards. These 8 are the mainline modules and will contain the BNSF/M&ET Interchange Yard, and i can bring a few of them to a show if i wanted to, thats why these are the only that will be built to full Free-Mo Standard.

Ill also have to check out the standard on the Free-Mo site, i forgot about that LOL

Thanks again Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
tetters Wrote:You said before that you were building these to another standard? Might be best to do some checking to see what the standards are for your group and go from there. Good Luck Bro! Thumbsup

Yes, I shoulda said that too... Definitely check out what the standards are for any group you plan to operate with. The alternative is to build one module as an "adapter", but that can be tricky, since there can be many other standards besides wiring that need to match for true interoperability.

Andrew
After reading through the wiring standards for Free-Mo, it sounds like that i HAVE to use Digitrax and wire it with loconet. So its looking like i will not be doing these to Free-Mo standards after all.

I do not want to use Digitrax at all and im not willing to pay the huge price for the systems from Digitrax lol. Why do that when you can get a MRC Prodigy Wireless for half the price that does all that one of the top Digitrax Systems does (Super Chief) and more! lol

So back to my original question and forget about the Free-Mo standards. Those of you with modules, how are you wiring them? Mine will not be permanent and they will be moved around alot, so i need them to be connected as easily as possible lol

Im liking what Andrew pictured above, but i would like to see what others do as well
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Again, I don't know the specifics of the Prodigy wireless, but I have seen some prices at $599 for it...? After a google, I see that Tony's has it list for $599, but is selling for $349 --> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tonystrains.com/products/mrc_components.htm">http://www.tonystrains.com/products/mrc_components.htm</a><!-- m -->

My wireless set up with Digitrax is not that far off, and I have had it for a few years now. It includes a Zephyr (under CAN$200) which handles all the programming/readback needs, a UT-4R wireless throttle (~CAN$120 at the time I bought it), and a wireless receiver at the club Wink (UR-91 - wireless US$115).

Alternatively, you can use InfraRed wireless, which is not as good, but still perfectly acceptable if you create good lines of sight to the receiver. Then you are looking at whatever base system you want, plus receiver UR-90 (for InfraRed US$45) and a tethered throttle (UT-4 = US$65) that can be used untethered with IR. Note that all Digitrax's "non-radio" throttles are IR capable.

:hey: Prodigy was not available when I started all this... Wink Big Grin

Back to the connections question - Other options:

Cinch-Jones plugs are a standard for some modules, but can be hard to find, and expensive.

I would avoid any sort of common wiring solution, such as plugs or sockets used with household wiring, in acse someone plugs the wrong thing into the wall, and sends 120V instead of 12V to your trains. Eek

Hope that helps,

Andrew
Thanks for the reply Andrew

I am getting the MRC Prodigy Wireless from a member over at Model Railroad Forums. Its a Used system but in great condition, hes selling it for $250 and i scooped it up lol

here is a pic of it:

[Image: DSCF1486.jpg]

Anyways, im going to have to re-read what you said in your last post some more to fully understand it all lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
MasonJar Wrote:Again, I don't know the specifics of the Prodigy wireless, but I have seen some prices at $599 for it...? After a google, I see that Tony's has it list for $599, but is selling for $349 --> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tonystrains.com/products/mrc_components.htm">http://www.tonystrains.com/products/mrc_components.htm</a><!-- m -->

this is where i originally saw it and was going to get it from, $349 was a good price, i think i saw one for $299 somewhere at a hobby shop online, but i forgot where it was and i lost the link lol Now that i found an excellent used one for $250, im in good shape lol

And just so im understanding this correctly, the MRC Prodigy Wireless (pictured in my last post) is all i need to run all of these modules right?

MasonJar Wrote:Back to the connections question - Other options:

Cinch-Jones plugs are a standard for some modules, but can be hard to find, and expensive.

I would avoid any sort of common wiring solution, such as plugs or sockets used with household wiring, in acse someone plugs the wrong thing into the wall, and sends 120V instead of 12V to your trains. Eek

Ill have to look up those clinch-jones plugs, but im going to need at least 2 of them for each module right? and thats 68 plugs when im done with all the modules and you mentioned there expensive, that might not be the best way for me to go LOL. I would like something that is a good price, not necessarly the cheapest thing on the market, but something that is reliable and will get the job done, i dont wanna break the bank in buying these things LOL

What you said about avoiding the sockets and plugs that are similar to household plugs is prolly a good idea LOL, that really would suck LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Trucklover Wrote:this is where i originally saw it and was going to get it from, $349 was a good price, i think i saw one for $299 somewhere at a hobby shop online, but i forgot where it was and i lost the link lol Now that i found an excellent used one for $250, im in good shape lol

Seems like the right price! Wink Thumbsup

Quote:And just so im understanding this correctly, the MRC Prodigy Wireless (pictured in my last post) is all i need to run all of these modules right?

Make sure you know the limitations (most notably the amp rating) to be sure that it can run all you want to run. If you use a large gauge power bus, it should deliver power to all parts of the layout, no matter how big it gets (well, within reason... Wink ). We routinely have cables running in excess of 50' to power districts of our <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotrak.ca">www.hotrak.ca</a><!-- w --> set-ups.

Quote:Ill have to look up those clinch-jones plugs, but im going to need at least 2 of them for each module right? and thats 68 plugs when im done with all the modules and you mentioned there expensive, that might not be the best way for me to go LOL. I would like something that is a good price, not necessarly the cheapest thing on the market, but something that is reliable and will get the job done, i dont wanna break the bank in buying these things LOL

What you said about avoiding the sockets and plugs that are similar to household plugs is prolly a good idea LOL, that really would suck LOL

Yes, theoretically, you'll need two plugs for every module. The trailer harnesses are about $5 a pair IIRC. So you're looking at ~$150 for 30+ pairs. Not bad. I would avoid any connection like terminal strips, because eventually the repeated crushing of the wire will cause it to break, and you'll have to replace it.

Good luck!

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Make sure you know the limitations (most notably the amp rating) to be sure that it can run all you want to run. If you use a large gauge power bus, it should deliver power to all parts of the layout, no matter how big it gets (well, within reason... Wink ). We routinely have cables running in excess of 50' to power districts of our <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hotrak.ca">http://www.hotrak.ca</a><!-- m --> set-ups.

I was thinking of doing by Bus lines with 10-12 gauge wire, that should be sufficient power supply and provide lots of power in the lengths of cables that will be connected....

MasonJar Wrote:Yes, theoretically, you'll need two plugs for every module. The trailer harnesses are about $5 a pair IIRC. So you're looking at ~$150 for 30+ pairs. Not bad. I would avoid any connection like terminal strips, because eventually the repeated crushing of the wire will cause it to break, and you'll have to replace it

$150 spread out over a few years is not bad at all really, and i can live with that, prolly but them 10-20 at a time.... Thanks again for the tips and advice Andrew, i really appreciate it Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Allied Electronics stock number:
512-4269 16-14AWG Fork terminal USD 0.22 ea
607-7006 4 position terminal block USD 1.56 ea
607-0085 2 position terminal block USD 1.21 ea

Use a block at one end of the module and make connections
using the fork terminals crimped onto the wires.

USD 2.09 per module (plus UPS) Misngth

If you want cheaper use wire nuts (or maybe 1/4" crimped quick connect terminals)
many ways to skin this partikuler cat Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

Cid