Most Bizarre Model Railroad Behavior
EZDAYS said
" Isn't this typical of a lot of our threads? Eek We kind of wear out the original discussion and branch off to wherever the tracks lead us.... But then, we don't stray too far away from the mainline most times. Try this on some forums and you get busted. Try to revive an old discussion there and you get banned... Here on Big Blue we try to be reasonable and hope that everyone is understanding enough that it's hard to stay on topic sometimes. I've even seen threads hijacked, then come back full circle. Amazing, isn't it????? It's fun too, and that's what brings us here in the first place. Thumbsup"

I am the owner/moderator of a Yahoo group for Samoyed owners. I have 72 worldwide members, a select group and all friends. Many of us have met and had parties in person. We talk about anything and everything except religion and politics. The group is 6 years old and we average 4000 posts a month, and we come from all walks of life and beliefs. The same thing that makes The Gauge work is what makes our group work.
I have lost some new members because they thought discussing off topic things were out of line. The ones that hang on and start to contribute learn quick.
We do love our dogs though.

Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:I am the owner/moderator of a Yahoo group for Samoyed owners. I have 72 worldwide members, a select group and all friends. Many of us have met and had parties in person. We talk about anything and everything except religion and politics. The group is 6 years old and we average 4000 posts a month, and we come from all walks of life and beliefs. The same thing that makes The Gauge work is what makes our group work.
I have lost some new members because they thought discussing off topic things were out of line. The ones that hang on and start to contribute learn quick.
We do love our dogs though.

Charlie

The thing is, that I think a lot of forum owners, admins and mods think they control the world that they've created. Nope They don't, the members do that, and within reason, we allow our members to take us in the direction they think we should go. We not only learn and share things about the things we have in common, like trains and modeling, but we get to know more about these people. We become friends and we want to talk about other things and we don't always need to stay on topic either. We have forums and threads where all of our topics are usually not related to the main focus of Big Blue. I want to know what the weather is like in other parts of the planet and I like knowing more about our member's daily life. and seeing pictures of their other hobbies. Off topic discussions like, "what's the best bread slicer made by man" turn out to be interesting since by the end of the thread, we wind up talking about boats, cars and going to Disneyland. :o That's good, that's healthy and most of all, it's fun. Big Grin

Look at this thread, it started talking about stupid people smashing model trains just to show on YouTube, and went on to talk about destroying other property. We talked about the messes and vandalism that people create. then about target shooting, and on to using model trains to carry targets. It continued with a discussion on how we frequently wind up off topic, and who know where it goes from there. Misngth But we've learned a few things, we were serious for a bit, and we had a bit of light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek fun along the way. 357 If this is the direction our members want us to go, so be it, we just want everyone to be happy and to continue coming back. Welcome Welcome
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I closely relate our forums, (Blue and the Whitedoglovers) to the show connections. I have the yahoo group private and hidden so we can be a little more open. I did have to shut one guy down about 4 years ago because all he wanted to do was belittle folks. That is the only time I stepped in. Pretty good I think.

Charlie
Just don't start talking about that damned light.
Charlie B Wrote:I closely relate our forums, (Blue and the Whitedoglovers) to the show connections. I have the yahoo group private and hidden so we can be a little more open. I did have to shut one guy down about 4 years ago because all he wanted to do was belittle folks. That is the only time I stepped in. Pretty good I think.

Charlie

Yeah, that's good. We've only had to ban one person for cause here, and say something to others only a few times this past five years. There is so little to do here, that we've ordered another pinball machine for our rec. room. We'll have to move the pool table over a bit, but it'll fit just fine, right next to the bowling alley. 357 357 357 357 357 357

We still can't find it in our budget to get Ed that new light bulb that he requested a few years ago. Nope Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:We still can't find it in our budget to get Ed that new light bulb that he requested a few years ago. Nope Icon_lol

Do you think we will ever get him to switch to a "scented" candle ? Icon_twisted Icon_twisted :o 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:We still can't find it in our budget to get Ed that new light bulb that he requested a few years ago. Nope Icon_lol

Do you think we will ever get him to switch to a "scented" candle ? Icon_twisted Icon_twisted :o 357

Only if he pays for it. But then again, there's that tricky fire code that we have to adhere to. He can have the candle, he just can't light it..... :mrgreen:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and