Multi posting
Nevertheless, it's worth pointing out that each forum has a different focus. In fact, there are several forums that have a Southern California focus. I would guess that if you posted that notice on, say, West Coast Rail Forums, Trainorders (if the membership fee is worth it), and SoCalRailFan, you'd reach your market. As I said earlier, wasting effort isn't admirable -- why post on largely East Coast/Canada oriented forums like Railwire?

If you wanted to go farther and ask why someone is posting on maybe a dozen forums -- in addition to a Yahoo group dedicated to Southern California model railroads -- you'd have to ask whether inflated self-importance is a possible explanation.

It isn't against the law to be annoying, and there are many, many worse things than just being annoying. Some people find things annoying that others don't, although if some in a neighborhood don't mind loud music while others do, it's best to refrain. But finding ways not to be annoying is also admirable.

This isn't a key subject, although the OP did in fact wonder if it was the best thing to do, after all, and I think an answer that some people find it annoying is factual and might be taken to heart.
jwb Wrote:Nevertheless, it's worth pointing out that each forum has a different focus. In fact, there are several forums that have a Southern California focus. I would guess that if you posted that notice on, say, West Coast Rail Forums, Trainorders (if the membership fee is worth it), and SoCalRailFan, you'd reach your market. As I said earlier, wasting effort isn't admirable -- why post on largely East Coast/Canada oriented forums like Railwire?

If you wanted to go farther and ask why someone is posting on maybe a dozen forums -- in addition to a Yahoo group dedicated to Southern California model railroads -- you'd have to ask whether inflated self-importance is a possible explanation.

It isn't against the law to be annoying, and there are many, many worse things than just being annoying. Some people find things annoying that others don't, although if some in a neighborhood don't mind loud music while others do, it's best to refrain. But finding ways not to be annoying is also admirable.

This isn't a key subject, although the OP did in fact wonder if it was the best thing to do, after all, and I think an answer that some people find it annoying is factual and might be taken to heart.

I guess it all depends on what it is that annoys you. If my neighbor has his rock ban practicing in his garage and that annoys me, it's something that's hard to ignore and do little to change on my own. On the other hand, if someone posts on a lot of forums and that annoys me, I can simply ignore that person's posts. Or, I can do as many others do, and only frequent one train forum, that way you have no idea what this person is posting elsewhere. These are thing that I can do something about on my own. it's really not that hard..... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wait a moment. I'm not sure why this should be controversial. The OP raised this, not me, and he raised it basically wondering if some people found it annoying. I believe the answer is yes, and not just me -- it's something people observe about forums in general.

No question I ignore those posts. No question there's nothing objectively "wrong" about it. I was giving an opinion in response to a question the OP raised. I think it's a valid opinion. I think that, in general, some people have concerns about the overall level of maturity on many forums, not just model railroads, but many other areas. Anything that can be done to promote traits like judgment and restraint on any forum, it seems to me, is worthwhile.

Where do you see the problem here?
We should not forget the none US national fora. I know of several fora dealing with US model railroading in UK, Germany and France. There is a lot of multi posting in US and none US fora by purpose. I know the names of UK members in big blue from RMweb and the Germans from us-modellbahn.net. Do not forget specialized fora like Rust bucket and Diesel Detailer.
Reinhard
jwb Wrote:Wait a moment. I'm not sure why this should be controversial. The OP raised this, not me, and he raised it basically wondering if some people found it annoying. I believe the answer is yes, and not just me -- it's something people observe about forums in general.

No question I ignore those posts. No question there's nothing objectively "wrong" about it. I was giving an opinion in response to a question the OP raised. I think it's a valid opinion. I think that, in general, some people have concerns about the overall level of maturity on many forums, not just model railroads, but many other areas. Anything that can be done to promote traits like judgment and restraint on any forum, it seems to me, is worthwhile.

Where do you see the problem here?

Problem? It appears that you've given your opinion, and others have given theirs. I hope that you' don't feel challenged by that. My bottom line is, I don't care who posts what and where or on how many forums, I only care about what they post here on Big Blue. I also care about the people that post here, they are like our family away from home. That is not only my opinion, it's gospel.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
[quote="ezdays}
it's really not that hard..... :nope:[/quote]
Don, I take that to be somewhat sarcastic and condescending in response to a plea for maturity and restraint.

Isn't the moderator's job to minimize this kind of thing rather than contribute to it?
"Model Railroader forum allows posts by a guy who makes a big deal out of his pet lion"

Sooooooooo, I'm guessing you don't want to hear about my pet alligator? Misngth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well, now I do! 357
I think that would be (1) more info than I really wanted to know about anyone here, and (2) way off topic. Now, maybe you can put "pet alligator" into "my other hobbies", although in general it might be worth asking then if you're a guy with real experience in that sort of thing and potentially with all required permits. OK, but maybe then a "don't try this at home" caveat too.

I do think this goes to the overall forum question: they aren't always good things, or good for people to participate in, if there's too much craziness. I quit a Yahoo group on rail photography that was otherwise worthwhile because the leaders kept talking about smoking marijuana while out doing photography -- reckless In several different ways and a potential bad example.

The guy on MR has it in his signature. I don't think it's good to advertise reckless behavior. Pet lion is reckless. Pet alligator -- I don't know enough about you, but if you have a pet alligator like a pet dog, with no training, precautions, or permits, that's also reckless, and it would lower my view of the forum if it promoted that kind of behavior.
I suspect that Misngth = humor....but knowing Tyson....inquiring minds want to know!
The problem is, on a forum, you can't be quite sure, and given some of the opinions here and elsewhere on appropriate forum conduct, it's worrisome.
"........and somehow feel guilty when I post here and not there with my layout updates.... "

I’m not really sure why you should feel guilty unless you feel you have developed a rapport with members on those other forums and feel if you don’t post there then you’re letting the side down, so to speak.

"..... just don't understand how they have time."

Ahhh, time that precious commodity. Generally as a result of getting older, though unfortunately accidents and illness do play their part, the body becomes less willing or able to participate in active endeavours, and so participation in multiple forums may not only be an individuals way of occupying time but also keeping the mind active.

"......the Model Railroader forum allows posts by a guy who makes a big deal out of his pet lion."

Unless I’m completely mistaken I believe you’re referring to the Broadway Lion whose passions, if that is the correct word to use while talking about a Benedictine Friars hobbies, are modelling an extensive HO subway system done on a shoe string budget, (that flies in the face of the seemingly continuous repetitious forum threads on the sheer expense of the hobby Wallbang Wallbang Curse ), and Big Cats. The fact that he posts in third person seems to drive some folks crazy but perhaps (political rant deleted) I celebrate harmless eccentrics.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://broadwaylion.com/page4.html">http://broadwaylion.com/page4.html</a><!-- m -->

jwb Wrote:Anything that can be done to promote traits like judgment and restraint on any forum, it seems to me, is worthwhile.

Fair enough, but to whose ideas of judgement and restraint??? Smile

I consider myself as a newcomer to forums in general, lurked for a while then joined the Model Railroader in 2011 which I still consider is my main forum, to ask a prototype question, and through a member over there who I won’t incriminate cos I don’t want him blamed for my arrival here, was introduced to BIG BLUE which I joined a year ago. Incidentally I take the view that membership of a forum is a privilege not a right.
Just my two bobs worth.
Cheers the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Wow just got home from working 12 hour day shift and thought I'll check my emails, huh one response to my outpouring, so I open up the email link and wow wasn't expecting this much activity. really not sure how to repond to all the comments. I do get the feeling that posting on a couple sites is the norm. And yes I suppose I do feel that I have some connections with a few of the members on forums such as RRL especially after your invited into there homes. I've always liked the guage and even as it now has the new name since the past few years. I sometimes wish all the aquaintances Ive made on all the forums would just go to one place. If you folks don't mind I think I would like to post my newest layout on Bigbluetrains and try to get reaquainted and hopefully have something to offer, and perhaps ween myself away from not so much making general posts on other forums but at least try to keep my layout progress on a single forum.
By the way for you's that have known me for many years around the internet hiway thanks for the hello's. And for those of yous that expressed opinions please don't take anything to heart with the responses you received.
Thanks again
Lynn
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I'm down to three railroad forums and one senior gaming forum..By years end I might be down to two railroad forum and the gaming forum.

For the record I started out on 9 forums including Big Blue,Model Railroader forum and the old Atlas forum.I quit a lot of forums due to the "experts" and "expert wanna bes".
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
LynnB Wrote:.... If you folks don't mind I think I would like to post my newest layout on Bigbluetrains and try to get reaquainted and hopefully have something to offer, and perhaps ween myself away from not so much making general posts on other forums but at least try to keep my layout progress on a single forum.....Lynn

We'd like that very much. Looking forward to hearing about your newest layout! Thumbsup
Ralph