Freelance Modeling.
Just wondering what forum members think about the Freelance side of the hobby in particular stripping paint off locos and other rolling stock and repainting in their own fictitious color schemes.

I guess I am what is called a non conformist, I like the idea of changing the colors of locos etc, to a few friends of mine I am a vandal and throw a fit if I soak a AT&SF shell into oven cleaner then do a respray in my own livery, final remarks being it looks great but its not real.

I think they are pretty narrow minded and they think I am a screwball but somewhere along the line we still get along OK.

Have Fun
Dave.
There's a lot of us on the boards here that freelance.
I myself enjoy the stripping and repainting of locos and rolling stock, to my own road , the Southwick And Winsted.

The way I see it, it might not of been a real railroad, but it's mine, and I'm not bowing to rivet counters and perfectionist.
Model railroading is suppose to be fun. You don't like what I'm doing, or the way I'm doing it, don't look at it.

Would like to see pics of some of your work.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I've been a free lancer since 1978 and have no intention of ever changing. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
I look at it as its my time and money for a hobby that I enjoy so why not have what I want. I have been in freelance mode for ten years. It took nine of them to settle on an era, paint and motive power but I am satisfied with what I am doing and find most people receptive.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Freelancing is an expression of creativity and fun! It frees you to be able to determine everything about your railroad and requires some work to develop a scheme. Here is a little of my freelanced Kings Port & Western.
[Image: 002_zpsf5270d84.jpg]

Enjoy your own ideas and know you are among good company....John Allen's G&D, Allen McClelland's V&O, just to name a couple famous freelanced lines that any modeler would admire. Thumbsup
Did someone say Freelance?

[Image: 10_1619_a.jpg]
I read that somewhere.
Southwick and Winsted SD35 and GP-38-2.

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
One of my multi scale fleet of Grande Valley Railway locos. :mrgreen:

[Image: GVR_6789.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Here's my SWeep (SW15 cab and GP9 body) decorated for my Adobe Flats Municipal Railway.

[Image: IMG_4285.JPG]

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Now that - I like!
In many respects, freelance is harder than prototype. After all, prototyping is really nothing more than copying what someone else has already built, but in your specific scale, while freelancing requires far more imagination to create a backstory, believable settings and realistic, personal color schemes for your own choice of equipment roster. The proto folks have everything dictated for them in advance, so they may be master modelers but they require no real imagination or soul to do what they do.

And the proto people cannot have neat things like GERN or hidden quirky jokes on their layout, like a dinosaur.

Even the late, great John Allen had a dinosaur on his Gorre & Dapheatid RR, along with swayback buildings and boxcars. 8-)

Of course, none of you are ready for a fantasy scale modeler like myself... Icon_lol
MountainMan Wrote:Of course, none of you are ready for a fantasy scale modeler like myself... Icon_lol

Wink Nope "None" of us 357 357

Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, is the parent corporation of the Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor RR, and the Shipyard's industrial narrow gauge line. These are responsible for the major percentage of my model building. The Sci Fi stuff is the work of my "Evil Twin" Icon_lol :o Wink Icon_twisted
Star Fleet Battleship Kodiac NCC6000

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I like both but for myself I prefer freelancing.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Well there you go I told my mates that North American modellers have wonderful imaginations, love the pictures great locos. color schemes and road names, it just goes to show a picture speaks a thousand words.

All the Best
Dave.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:Of course, none of you are ready for a fantasy scale modeler like myself... Icon_lol

Wink Nope "None" of us 357 357
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Sag Harbor Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, is the parent corporation of the Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor RR, and the Shipyard's industrial narrow gauge line. These are responsible for the major percentage of my model building. The Sci Fi stuff is the work of my "Evil Twin" Icon_lol :o Wink Icon_twisted
Star Fleet Battleship Kodiac NCC6000
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

No offense, but that doesn't look like a model train to me. Are you a fantasy scale railroader, or not?

I am.