Other hobby teminology-a riddle of sorts
Now, if you think that we have some strange terminologies for stuff we use in model railroading, I can across something the other day that really puzzled me. I needed something (I'll tell you what later), and there it was at my local Walmart, and only $0.97 each. When I looked at the package, it was labeled, "fat quarter". Huh, :o what the heck is a fat quarter and why is this call one? When I got home, I had to Google the term before I know what it was, otherwise, I wouldn't have a clue even now Nope .

My question is, I'm wondering how many of you know what a FAT QUARTER is without looking it up with Google or any other search engine. Be honest, how many really know right now? No peeking on the Internet, no looking it up in a book, no asking anyone else, you either know, or you don't. However, guesses are allowed and welcomed. Welcome

It has to do with a very popular hobby that dates back to early America, and possibly before. Smile

Give it a shot, guess if you think you have an idea, but if not, I'll come back in a bit and post a hint..... believe me, the answer left me shaking my head. 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
It's a quarter that need to pay a visit to Richard Simmons.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
e-paw Wrote:It's a quarter that need to pay a visit to Richard Simmons.

My first though was that it had to do with a choice ham from an overweight pig. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
One of my girlfriends mother is a quilter and had us pic some up for her at a fabric shop one time. So your secret is safe with me! Misngth
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Not a clue!

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Well Mike, you're correct in ID'ing the hobby, so I'm sure you know what it means. I was hoping someone did, let's see if there is anyone else.

Yup, that would have been my clue, the hobby is quilting, and so the "fat quarter" is a term associated with fabric or cloth.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I can't hold you in suspense any longer, and I don't want to be responsible for anyone losing any sleep wondering.

I was in need of a small piece of colored cloth for a project and went to Walmart where there was a whole rack full of "fat quarter" fabric in all different designs and colors for $0.97 each. Like I said, I never heard the term and hadn't a clue as to why a small piece of cloth was called a fat quarter. I bought one I could use, but had to Google the term when I got home otherwise it would have driven me crazy wondering. 35 35

The answer is as much mathematical as anything: One yard of cloth fabric is a 36" piece cut from a bolt that is typically 44" wide (1584 sq in). A "quarter" is just 1/4 of that, or 9" x 44" (396 sq in). A "fat quarter" has the same area, but is twice as high and half as long, 18" x 22" (also 396 sq in). Thumbsup Don't ask me why, I'm just letting you know what it is, not why. :o

I know this isn't the most exciting thing you'll encounter here this weekend, but then again, there's not that much activity going on here in modeling this week anyway so it makes a good time filler. Popcornbeer

FYI, I am not making a patchwork quilt and don't intend to. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
That settles it , Don , you've got me so inspired I'm selling all my HO stuff and taking up quilting . Eek ............. Misngth ...It'll keep me warm on those cold nights .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
In my previous life, we used the term "mixed pickles". There was even a newsletter with that for a title.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Yeah, I guess pickling can be a hobby. That brings me to think about all the other hobbies out there and the specific language that may be strange to others. For example, I do woodworking and we talk about dados, rabbets and even bench dogs to name a few. To me, "fat quarter" sounded really strange, but to a quilter, the term "frog" used in our hobby would probably produce a blank stare.

I wonder if anyone here has a few really odd terms used in other hobbies..... :?:
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Icon_twisted Should have known a term like that would come from a ... " Man of the Cloth " Wink Icon_twisted
Had a great day at the local train show, heading back there in just a bit, and will be bringing my modules back tonight.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
"Mixed pickles" was a term from folk dancing. One of the great teachers, Dick Crum, used it to describe a rhythm of slow quick quick (1/4 1/8 1/8). It also worked in Greek dancing for 3/16 1/8 1/8.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:"Mixed pickles" was a term from folk dancing. One of the great teachers, Dick Crum, used it to describe a rhythm of slow quick quick (1/4 1/8 1/8). It also worked in Greek dancing for 3/16 1/8 1/8.

Wow, that's way out there, I thought it meant a bunch of different veggies stuffed in a jar and pickled. How easy it is to get off course without some solid trackwork to guide you in the right direction. Icon_lol

One thing that's always mystified me are the terms used in cooling. Yeah, some people make a hobby out of cooking, others make a living out of it. In either case, I watch some of these cooking competition shows and I don't know if they're just showing off, or really into it that much, but I get lost really quick. "I made for you today a ______ with a ____, and some _____ with a _____ sauce all on a bed of _____." You can fill in the blanks with a variety of terms, but regardless, I haven't a clue as to what they're talking about. Then, of course, I look at how all that is "plated" and I wonder just how one is suppose to eat that piece of food art. :? :? :? :? Still, that's a very interesting hobby for sure. Smile
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Blocks, Deadeyes, Crosstrees, Pintles, Gudgeons, Fids, Fish Tackle, Strakes, Shrouds, Stays. Just a few of the terms used in sailing vessels, and the building of models of those vessels.

At this past weekend's Train Show, during a conversation with one of the "spectators", I became aware of the amount of knowledge one can acquire, doing the research needed to make a scene more realistic. Yeah, the "terminology riddle".
learning it all, takes more than just looking at something. Things are what they are because their function, requires them to be exactly what they look like. All of that, and understanding all the terminology used, can be a major part of any "hobby".

How many people today know what "Oakum" is ?, or, for that matter, the "Nautical" meaning of the word "Counter". Wink
or, " Make Fast " ? Wink Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Blocks, Deadeyes, Crosstrees, Pintles, Gudgeons, Fids, Fish Tackle, Strakes, Shrouds, Stays. Just a few of the terms used in sailing vessels, and the building of models of those vessels...

How many people today know what "Oakum" is ?, or, for that matter, the "Nautical" meaning of the word "Counter". Wink
or, " Make Fast " ? Wink Smile

Let's see, without checking with Google, I think Oakum is what they use to make rope with... either that, or you pour hot water on it and eat it for breakfast. :geek:

Now, "make fast", I'm familiar with, I was in the Air Force and when you "made fast", you butt was hustling somewhere or it would be mud if it wasn't :o . I'm assuming that term is also true in the Navy. Nope

Heck, the only nautical term I can think of is, "Jib", and I'm not sure anymore what that means either. Wallbang
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and