Other hobby teminology-a riddle of sorts
How about Electronics, specifically speaker building: Crossover, RMS, Amplitude, woofer, tweeter, midrange

Oakum is a plumbing term too as are: els, galv, PVC, CPVC, L Copper, M Copper....

As far as hobbies, Photography terms are almost endless Eek Eek

And... I'm not going to even mention model R/C airplanes... mostly the same terminology as the real ones Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Devil's Horses, Bayou Bogies and Herb's Dillies are just some of the names of my favorite 219 lures.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Whatchyamacallit......Thingymajig...and doodad are a few terms that can cover everything.

Of course to complete any other hobby, you need to get a roundtoit.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
How about Electronics, specifically speaker building: Ngauger... you forgot "Dolly Patrons",, The large cone shaped horns, called that for obvious reasons.
I went to collage to study audio engineering before becoming an electrician.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Isn't oakum what Oliver twist was set to picking at the workhouse?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Oakum is the stuff we use to stuff in the bell joints of cast iron drain pipe - pack it in place by hand, then set it using a hammer and cold chisel. I'd guess in Pete's language, it'd be used to make tight the joints in the planking of wooden ships. As for "make fast", I'd guess it's derived from "fasten", and simply means "make secure" as in tying-up a boat or even "battening down the hatches".
I've got an obscure one for any woodworkers out there: jigoku-kusabi. Anybody wanna take a guess?

I spent my working life in a steel plant, and like most industries, it had its own teminology: bustle pipe, downcomer, stripper, mud gun, bottom digger, scarfer, bloom, tap hole, runner, piping, hooker, recuperator, and manipulator, to name a few.

Wayne
You know Wayne I could have a lot of fun with some of those terms, like I've know a few strippers and hookers and have tapped a few holes in my time and I was married to a manipulator which caused me to need a recuperator. Don't even want to talk about the bottom digger I used to date! Yeah I could have fun with those but it's too easy so I'm not going to go there! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
doctorwayne Wrote:...I've got an obscure one for any woodworkers out there: jigoku-kusabi. Anybody wanna take a guess?

As a long-time woodworker and having watched every episode of "New Yankee Workshop" and "This Old House" as well as a few other woodworking shows on PBS, plus having every issue of "Wood" Magazine", I can truly say that I've never heard of the term before. Therefore, I can only assume that you have it confused with that used in one of the Star Trek movies referring to some classic maneuver used by a Starship to avoid a Klingon attack. Or was it the name of a distant galaxy somewhere within the Gamma nebula? Gee, now I'm confused, so put me down for a solid, "I don't have a clue".... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:...I've got an obscure one for any woodworkers out there: jigoku-kusabi. Anybody wanna take a guess?

As a long-time woodworker and having watched every episode of "New Yankee Workshop" and "This Old House" as well as a few other woodworking shows on PBS, plus having every issue of "Wood" Magazine", I can truly say that I've never heard of the term before. Therefore, I can only assume that you have it confused with that used in one of the Star Trek movies referring to some classic maneuver used by a Starship to avoid a Klingon attack. Or was it the name of a distant galaxy somewhere within the Gamma nebula? Gee, now I'm confused, so put me down for a solid, "I don't have a clue".... Nope

Well, I'm not much of a woodworker, but that term was gleaned from a Time-Life book which was part of a series on DIY. As some may have guessed, it's Japanese in origin and is an elaboration on the mortise and tenon. The mortise is cut to be wider at its blind end, and the tenon is double-slotted on its end and contains two wedges. When driven into place, the wedges contact the rear surface of the mortise, spreading the tenon. Properly-done, the joint cannot be separated. The literal translation means "hell's wedge". Glue? We doan need no steenkin' glue!

I did mention that it was obscure, eh? Icon_lol

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Well, I'm not much of a woodworker, but that term was gleaned from a Time-Life book which was part of a series on DIY. As some may have guessed, it's Japanese in origin and is an elaboration on the mortise and tenon. The mortise is cut to be wider at its blind end, and the tenon is double-slotted on its end and contains two wedges. When driven into place, the wedges contact the rear surface of the mortise, spreading the tenon. Properly-done, the joint cannot be separated. The literal translation means "hell's wedge". Glue? We doan need no steenkin' glue!

I did mention that it was obscure, eh? Icon_lol

Wayne

Yeah, obscure, but I did Google it afterwards and it did come up, but nothing showed the details. I've seen Norm Abrams make those kind of joints, I believe he called them "split tenons" or something like that since he probably couldn't pronounce the Japanese term for it either. 357 If it's what I'm thinking, it's what they use to fasten legs to a stool or table.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:put me down for a solid, "I don't have a clue".... Nope

That's not quite as bad a thing as Not "having a Clew"...... your sail would be " oddly out of shape ", without one.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
doctorwayne Wrote:Oakum is the stuff we use to stuff in the bell joints of cast iron drain pipe - pack it in place by hand, then set it using a hammer and cold chisel.
Wayne

Yup - That's what I was referring to. Plumbers use them to stuff in around the pipe below a toilet, when they have to lead in a flange, so that when they melt lead it will stop at the oakum and form a seal. Instead of flowing down through the floor. Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

e-paw Wrote:How about Electronics, specifically speaker building: Ngauger... you forgot "Dolly Patrons",, The large cone shaped horns, called that for obvious reasons.
I went to collage to study audio engineering before becoming an electrician.
Icon_lol Yeah - I forgot about Dolly Partons Smile How about a Leslie, another somewhat obscure speaker.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

doctorwayne Wrote:I'd guess in Pete's language, it'd be used to make tight the joints in the planking of wooden ships. As for "make fast", I'd guess it's derived from "fasten", and simply means "make secure" as in tying-up a boat or even "battening down the hatches". Wayne

"battening down the hatches", includes all the things that have to be done to insure the hatch covers, don't leak.

Making tight the joints in the planking of wooden ships, is the usage I was implying. One hand holds the Oakum, and the caulking iron, the other wields the caulking mallet. I had the opportunity to check up on the construction of Pete Seeger's "Clearwater", a Hudson River Sloop, over the period from when She was just frames, to Her departure on Her maiden voyage.
One of the weekends I was there, She was being caulked. It was both interesting, and a bit boring. On the Starboard side,the
worker started a seam aft, and walked forward driving the oakum into the seam. When he reached the bow, he walked back aft, and began the next seam, and the next etc. Because he used his right hand to wield the mallet, when he did the port side, he started at the bow.
I learned much of what I know about wood hull construction, by watching "Clearwater's" progress. She still sails out of N.Y. City, up and down the Hudson, advertising the need to clean up the pollution, made by all the towns and cities on the banks of the river. The first use of that knowledge, lead to the building of this:

I laid down the original lines drawing of this Cutter, and scratch built it. the hull is planked with 1/32" X 3/32" mahogany strips. Each had to be tapered as they approached the stem or the stern. I was a bit surprised that I was able to get it right the first time. Confusedhock: 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Some good terminology coming out here on this topic!
I hope this one can qualify?It was learned from my Welsh Grandfather when i was a very small child.
Just one word, a Canoodlypinofthevinkyvalve,what does it mean? well if its broken it'll be the Canoodly*******************le,if it wont start you need a new Canoodly***************le .
So next time that DCC chipped loco plays up or the car backfires you know whats wrong dont you?thats right its the Canoodlypinofthevinkyvalve !!!! SIMPLE.
Dont be a penny pincher , use a new one,not one of those dodgy reconn things!
What its Monday!! Again !!