Small Highway/Switching Layout
Josh, don't worry about a grade being too steep for an on ramp or off ramp. Highway planners are not nearly as restricted as railroad engineers. 4.5% is considered too steep for mainline operation, although Cemex has a grade that steep between the quarry and the mill in Victorville. The "Grapevine" (I-5 between Gorman and Wheeler Ridge) has a 6% grade that is probably 6 miles long if I remember correctly. There is a 9% grade coming out of the town of Wrightwood West of Cajon Pass down Lone Pine Canyon. I think I have seen ramps as steep as 13%-14% in some of the hilly areas of Los Angeles County. I don't know what the grades are in San Francisco streets, but some like Davisidero look almost vertical.
You can always put a double lane one for passing on the upgrade.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Josh, don't worry about a grade being too steep for an on ramp or off ramp. Highway planners are not nearly as restricted as railroad engineers. 4.5% is considered too steep for mainline operation, although Cemex has a grade that steep between the quarry and the mill in Victorville. The "Grapevine" (I-5 between Gorman and Wheeler Ridge) has a 6% grade that is probably 6 miles long if I remember correctly. There is a 9% grade coming out of the town of Wrightwood West of Cajon Pass down Lone Pine Canyon. I think I have seen ramps as steep as 13%-14% in some of the hilly areas of Los Angeles County. I don't know what the grades are in San Francisco streets, but some like Davisidero look almost vertical.

LOL yes that is very true Russ, thanks Misngth I think i wont be so concerned about making the grade for the overpass over to the left shelf now. Plus i only have about 3'6"' for it to come down 5-1/2" lol I might even have to add a small 6" extension off that shelf to allow trucks and cars to get off that overpass/ramp lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
wgrider Wrote:You can always put a double lane one for passing on the upgrade.

ahhh thats a great idea, dangit Lynn, now im going to have to make a 4 lane overpass/ramp going to the left shelf lol, but i think that would look better anyways, with some k-rail barriers dividing the 2 directions of traffic Misngth

Thanks for the suggestion Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Little Update on this project

I have since smoothed some more sections of the highway out and more of the highway has been nearly completed (with just a few spots needing touch up coat and the rest needing a coat of paint)

I also set up a brief layout of the cement plant. I layed plaster cloth down to form a small hill to help cover up the lowered shelf (due to my inaccurate shelf bracket mounting lol). I also pulled to small Model Power Sand Bunkers. I sanded them down, gave them a coat of paint, and next they will be weathered and filled with materials for the Cement Plant.

[Image: SL372514.jpg]

Shows how i apply the second, third and fourth coats if needed.

[Image: SL372515.jpg]

[Image: SL372522.jpg]

The results of the smoothing from the picture above

[Image: SL372521.jpg]

[Image: SL372524.jpg]

The before and after of a little work to connect the ramp and the highway. Some minor chipping might be needed when the lanes get layed out....

[Image: SL372522.jpg]

The new section of highway i layed this morning

[Image: SL372516.jpg]

[Image: SL372519.jpg]

[Image: SL372520.jpg]

The Cement Plant, Sand Bunkers, and small hill that is below the 2 mainline tracks

Im also almost done with the pictures i will need to do the WS Smooth-It Tutorial, so that will come very shortly Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
The highways look good - nice and smooth! Makes me want to try working with that medium.
Looks good Josh. so....

When do we get to see some trains? Confusedhock: Misngth 35 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

nice work josh,thats definatley alot of roads Thumbsup ,so i agree with tetters WHERE ARE THE TRAINS Icon_lol --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Nice work Josh, all that plaster you have you should have no problem making messy cement piles accumulated next to the plant.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Dan, Shane, Josh, and Lynn, thanks for the comments Misngth

Shane and Josh, the trains are coming soon Misngth But i need to get some track before i can get any trains on there lol

You get a sneak peak of a double stack under the new bridge in my next post tho, does that count? 35 Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Spent the better part of the day working on the ramp and bridge for the shelf on the left of the layout

here are some pics, i made the entire thing out of cardboard. Now just needs a 4 lane divided highway paved on there and concrete panles installed on the walls (which will be cardstock, having them custom made)

[Image: SL372526.jpg]

[Image: SL372527.jpg]

[Image: SL372528.jpg]

[Image: SL372529.jpg]

A few shots of behind the sand bunkers. I added some paint and ground foam, next will be some bushes, rocks, trees.....

[Image: SL372530.jpg]

[Image: SL372531.jpg]

[Image: SL372532.jpg]

[Image: SL372533.jpg]

[Image: SL372534.jpg]

A few shots of the newly built bridge and ramp. Again this will be lined with concrete panels printed on cardstock. It will have a 4 lane highway running along it, 2 lanes in each directions with a k-rail divider running down the center and on either side of the bridge

[Image: SL372535.jpg]

[Image: SL372537.jpg]

This is where the last bridge part will be. This will be Washington Street and will run into the wall, connecting the bridge above, and the on-ramp to the highway. This bridge will run over across the sand bunkers and to the edge of the layout.... This will also be a 4 laned bridge, with 2 lanes in each direction and k-rail barriers down the center and on either side of the bridge

The highway under this bridge will curve into the wall. I made the mistake of layiing more highway today and i wasnt thinking of where i would have to make the highway curve into the wall, so now i have to dig up some of the new highway so i can curve it into the wall lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Hi Josh,

Great progress Big Grin liked the double stacks under the bridge now you have some scenics down it brings a bit of colour to the layout Goldth
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
ok,you get outta jail free this time josh,but dont forget to post pics of trains again,you here me Icon_lol ,the bridge looks great josh.you sure work a hellof alot faster than i do 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Misngth --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Trucklover Wrote:I have not decided what im going to do with the sides of the on-ramp, but im thinking of gluing plastic or card stock "concrete" to it, that should look pretty cool I will also add k-rail barriers along both sides of it all the way down the ramp.

Josh, around here the ramps usually have guardrails. The K-rail barriers are usually used to separate the opposing sides of the highway, ie northbound from southbound, or when there's a lane blocked off for construction or repairs.

I know you don't want to spend money on new stuff, but Rix products makes some really neat "metal" guardrails, and they are only $2.40 a pack at Walthers. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/541-3">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/541-3</a><!-- m -->

cheers
Val
Nice progress pics, what kind of ground foam is it your using? It looks like burnt grass.
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada