Acme Bakery
Well Steve, I am of the opinion that it is a permanent ventilation opening, with various screens and control baffles to supply clean fresh air into the bakery without birds, bugs, dirt, dust, leaves, litter, vermin and people coming in as well.

A bakery is a hot place and is producing food so you need a supply of fresh air so people can work unimpeded and so your product doesnt get contaminated.

I am ignoring the open doorway, but at least a door can be shut if an ill wind is blowing. Nope
Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Wow, great model representation of the original Applause Thumbsup
I wonder if those are cooling coils for a refrigeration unit - that last picture makes me wonder.

Wayne
Mark and Wayne.....thank you both for your thoughts. I guess at the end of the day, I need these to be freight doors, So I will model them as doors and incorporate some screening so I can get the look of the prototype. Thanks guys! Thumbsup

AF350 Wrote:Wow, great model representation of the original Applause Thumbsup
Thank you sir! Thumbsup I think getting the unique signage right was critical. If that wasn't at least close to the original, I think the model would have suffered. It was actually the logo that attracted me to structure in the first place.
Steve
I have tried several ways to do the freight doors, but nothing I have done really looks very good. I will keep trying.

In the meantime, I need to put some door knobs/plates on my two gray metal doors:
[Image: IMG_20150405_211504_808%202.jpg]

First, I took a piece of regular white copy paper and drew two small squares on it. Inside the squares, I put a small dot of tacky glue (using a tooth pick). I let that dry overnight. The squares are there so I could easily locate the two (now transparent) glue dots. I painted over those areas with silver paint:
[Image: IMG_20150405_212659_365%202.jpg]

I will let the paint dry overnight and cut out the knobs and plates. If the knobs look too small or not quite round, I will put a little pin drop of paint on them.

I did this same technique on one of the doors on Midland Steel:
[Image: IMG_20150405_211538_735%202.jpg]

Very easy and it looks a little better than just a blob of paint by itself.........more as I progress Thumbsup
Steve
Well Bud, you got one up on me. I would of never worried about the door knobs, you always come up with that little extra that pushes your work over the top. nice job!!

Cheers
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
Sometimes access doors to back lanes and the like dont have any door furniture visible on the outside to make it harder for would be thieves or vandals to damage the door to gain entry. Wallbang

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Great idea for making door knobs. I used the small heads of pins so far, but that did not give me the knob and the plate as well.
Kurt
Steve,

I grew up in a bakery sort of. My dad, brother, and an uncle and some other distant relatives all worked for Omar bakery till it closed after Fazio foods bought them. My dad and brother retired from Wonder Bread which is now gone as well. We had several bakeries in town when I was a kid---Wonder, Big Bear, Kroger, Omar and Blue bird all gone but Kroger. The reason why I brought it up is wonder had a way of getting bulk ingredients from semi tanker trucks. Have you seen buildings in a downtown areas that have water plugs sticking out of them for the fire department use? Wonder had something similar for the delivery of flour that the tanker trucks used. As for the doors I have not seen anything like them before but what ever explanation it is part of what makes the structure interesting.
AF350

I retired as a food microbiologist for Sara Lee/Hillshire in 2012. We had the same unloading pipes as you describe for corn syrup, bulk pasteurized whole egg, flour, and granulate sugar. Granulated sugar tanks were located outside in 90' silos while corn syrup, bulk eggs and flour were located inside the facility in several 40 and 50 thousand pound tanks.

Larry
Thank you guys for the kind comments and the info on bakeries. Thumbsup Thumbsup Always happy to learn about the way industries work. Thumbsup

Just a quick update....I painted the windows and did a test fit:
[Image: IMG_20150407_133819_879%202%20small.jpg]

I cut the glazing and will do that next. I also want to jazz it up a little with some electrical boxes on the side. Still needs a roof as well Wink
Steve
Steve, WOW Eek Truly AWESOME! Thumbsup

I never really liked modeling buildings, but after seeing this thread it makes me want to try out some of the techniques you have used.

You have really done a fantastic job, top notch modeling Worship Worship
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thank you Deano! Thumbsup

Here is one of the finished doors on Acme:
[Image: IMG_20150408_212949_994%202%20small.jpg]

I took this pic of some electrical boxes/meters that I wanted to put on the structure:
[Image: IMG_20150315_121329_034%20cropped.jpg]

I first shrunk the pic down to scale using the door as a reference. Usually I would use styrene to make the boxes but I didn't have any the correct thickness, so I used wood instead. I placed the shapes on the pic and trimmed them to size:
[Image: meters.jpg]

[Image: Meter%20comparison.jpg]
Not perfect but good enough. I really am not worried about a whole lot of detail on this, since it will be on the side with trees around it.

Painted and in place:
[Image: IMG_20150408_203608_603%202%20small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150408_212924_520%202%20small.jpg]

Still have to put some more conduit on the wall, and finally replant the trees I took out to work.

I think this is a pretty good method for a beginner to scratch-building. It will ensure scale size boxes, in a prototype arrangement. The natural tendency is to think, "that has to be small enough"....it usually isn't Wink

Take care! Thumbsup
Steve
I took this pic of some electrical boxes/meters that I wanted to put on the structure:
[Image: IMG_20150315_121329_034%20cropped.jpg]

more power to you Icon_lol could not resist the pun.

Great attention to detail on the meters Thumbsup doors look good.

Roof details? Do I smell cakes baking? Popcornbeer
Well let's see..........I was sick as a dog for about a week..........I spent a lot of time after that working around the house......and then was "volunteered" by my wife into making a candy castle for an "after-prom" event at my son's high school that was themed "Sweet Memories". Any way here is how this "little" time waster turned out:
[Image: IMG_20150404_200630_876%202%20small.jpg]

Here it is at the school as they were setting up:
[Image: IMG_20150418_220318_936%202%20small.jpg]

You would not believe how much time that thing took to make......probably in the trash now :cry: Wink

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten about Acme....I did manage to pick out some roof details:
[Image: IMG_20150422_215923_232%202%20small.jpg]

Still need to paint them, and get some sandpaper on the roof.
Hopefully I can get some time in on this over the weekend.
Steve