UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
(08-16-2022, 08:46 PM)tompm Wrote: Deano

That is one sweet loco.

How does it run?
Thanks Tom Icon_e_biggrin 
The engine is a Scale Trains rivet counter edition, runs really well, great at slow speeds. The engine is about as heavy as a Athearn RTR, not real light, but not heavy like a Kato or BLI. I have not yet tested how many cars it can pull yet, but I am guessing it to be about the same as an Athearn RTR. One thing I do not like about this engine is the dynamic brake cover comes off WAY TO EASY, its like be VERY CAREFUL picking this engine up, or all the money you spent on it will hit the floor, SERIOUSLY. Scale trains makes a great product, but MY THOUGHTS, BLI is better for an RTR, but thats just my thoughts. 
[Image: oqcVehB.jpg]   

(08-17-2022, 05:54 PM)TMo Wrote: Ever thought about an eye-height layout?  Before you get too far, it would be my only major thought.  Running trains right past your nose is pretty darn cool and the photos ops are special.
I have thought about an eye height layout, but I didnt go that route for many of the reasons Wayne had mentioned. Eye height is a neat idea, but I'm 57, and have had this layout for around 7yrs now, its at 45'' high, makes it easier to work on, but not to low either Thumbsup .  Thank you, for the input Icon_e_biggrin .
These pics are old, so I am further into it then these show...
[Image: bv4I0yw.jpg]

[Image: ol39Pme.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Great looking layout! My layout is also around 45" and I'm 6'2" so if I rebuild I would probably raise it to 50". I tried an eye height once but it was a pain to work on anything more than 12" from the edge.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
yeah, sorry so late on the input - saw the first page and commented on that. I solve the eye height access problem by building a movable platform box that's about 20 inches tall. It doubles as storage for scenery components. I also limited the depth to the length of my arm and worked on scenery from back to front.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
Whose eye level? If I build at my eye level, my wife will be examining the wiring, which is not attractive. I can bend or sit to get to eye level. I used IKEA shelving as a base and the lower bit of the layout is about at my underarm -- I have to be careful not to swipe things off with my arms. 51" or 130 cm.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Just a quick update, NOT THERE YET, but I am making progress Misngth . I have a LONG WAY TO GO Icon_e_biggrin , not to mention all the nice details I have in store for this  Icon_e_biggrin , but here is I progress shot I took tonight...
[Image: OZOb3qm.jpg]
Hello Deano,

if the level of 45" of your layout is the comfortable level for you, then it's O.K.
And take a swivel chair, sit down and ...

... you are on eye level Icon_e_wink

Lutz
Well, I started project "Olsons Farms" way back in Feb Eek , just now have it about finished, just a couple little touches, not many, left to do, 95% done Misngth . 
Here's a few pics of the area, I'm pretty happy with it so far, and I'm throwing in a few pics of all the Wisconsin based roads I have Icon_e_biggrin . This is a two part post, hope you enjoy it Icon_e_smile .
[Image: MaLch7Y.jpg]

[Image: 7T2ZLO5.jpg]

[Image: WsJq48R.jpg]

[Image: PbALACQ.jpg]

[Image: eGTKD9C.jpg]

[Image: T6VV4Uu.jpg]
PART 2
[Image: fA5oulG.jpg]

[Image: R2IBCcp.jpg]

[Image: 5Rj6vHD.jpg]

[Image: f10yVOu.jpg]

[Image: UGCmle7.jpg]

[Image: rw1X47S.jpg]
Great looking scene. Very well done. You blended it into the surrounding area seamlessly.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Deano,

speechless: Worship Applause Thumbsup

Lutz
Excellent work Deano  2285_ Worship Applause
Nicely done, Deano, and I especially like that split-rail fence and the weathering on the barn.

Wayne
100% and then some.... Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Very nice indeed! Great work!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hi Deano---this scene is timeless---a quick change with the vehicles and this could be the early fifties or earlier with a steam engine rolling by.