Using the mainline for switching
Hello.
I´m designing a switching layout with a long single mainline track and a long siding with spurs. I know it´s a dumb question but can I use the mainline for switching the industries?

Attached Files Image(s)

I'd say sure you can, unless you need to clear the main for other traffic.
It's done all the time.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
From an experienced rail the main is used all the time to switch cars off sidings or auxiliary tracks. Just a few things to clarify and maybe help you understand the difference in railroad terminology.

A siding is designated in the Timetable as a place to meet or pass trains. This means that either a dispatcher or control operator would control movements in and out of the siding using some sort or track authority. It could be Track Warrrant Train Order or signals. So before the switch crew started working they would have to contact whoever was controlling the main so everyone would be safe in case they wanted to meet a train in the siding.

Auxiliary or other then main track these tracks are not otherwise controlled by dispatcher or operator. This could be any track either double ended or single ended on the railroad that you do not have to have specific authority to occupy. So if the track is not used to meet or pass trains and was just used to runaround or store cars you would still need permission to use the main but the use of the track would be at the crews discression.

spur tracks have one way in and one way out and there are special rules governing how movements are to be handled going into them.

Not sure if that helps at all but there it is.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:From an experienced rail the main is used all the time to switch cars off sidings or auxiliary tracks. Just a few things to clarify and maybe help you understand the difference in railroad terminology.

A siding is designated in the Timetable as a place to meet or pass trains. This means that either a dispatcher or control operator would control movements in and out of the siding using some sort or track authority. It could be Track Warrrant Train Order or signals. So before the switch crew started working they would have to contact whoever was controlling the main so everyone would be safe in case they wanted to meet a train in the siding.

Auxiliary or other then main track these tracks are not otherwise controlled by dispatcher or operator. This could be any track either double ended or single ended on the railroad that you do not have to have specific authority to occupy. So if the track is not used to meet or pass trains and was just used to runaround or store cars you would still need permission to use the main but the use of the track would be at the crews discression.

spur tracks have one way in and one way out and there are special rules governing how movements are to be handled going into them.

Not sure if that helps at all but there it is.

Thanks Mountaingoatgreg. Ok, now in my layout will be a single mainline track, a single ended auxiliary track (industrial lead) and the spur tracks. I think I´ll use the lead as storage track. My idea is run short trains, max 7 cars. Now have to decide where and how to put the spurs. Thinking in operations have 3 proposed trackplans:

Attached Files Image(s)

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:....Auxiliary or other then main track these tracks are not otherwise controlled by dispatcher or operator. This could be any track either double ended or single ended on the railroad that you do not have to have specific authority to occupy. So if the track is not used to meet or pass trains and was just used to runaround or store cars you would still need permission to use the main but the use of the track would be at the crews discression...
I have two further questions on this:
1. How communicate the crew and the dispatcher that fact that the train will not pass a 10 mile mainline section within a few minutes but do some switching at industry and run around using the mainline several times for lets say an hour?
2. Is the dispatcher aware of the length of the run around and the industry leads and can order the train to interrupt switching e.g. for 20 minutes, pull into a run around or industry track and let another train pass? I mean use those tracks similar to a siding to suspend switching?
Reinhard
Faraway:
there will be a number of considerations.
The switching crew will be given the right to the stretch of track for a certain time. This will be stated in either the timetable of the train orders. If there is another train coming through, the switch crew will have to be clear of the main line probably 10 minutes before it's due. Let's hope the siding is long enough.
Or the crew will be told to meet the other train at the next passing siding at a certain time. If the opposing train reaches the siding and there's no switching train there, they will stop and get the dispatcher on the phone.
If the switch train can't get out of the way on time, a trainman will have to dash a mile down the track, leaving torpedos (detonators) as he goes to warn the other train.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Faraway:

It depends on what the operating method is being used in the area.
Yard or Restricted Limits: Everyone has to watch out for everyone else and communicate their moves.

Track Warrant: The train that has the warrant for the track will hold it until they are done. If they have a joint authority they will follow the Yard/Restricted Limit rules.

Block Control: Pretty much like a Track Warrant

CTC: The dispatcher would allow you 'Track and Time' essentially a Track Warrant for CTC territory. These would be time limited, but would not expire until the crew released the authority.

Train Orders: The operator would provide orders from one location to another and would be aware of what work would need to be completed in route. The crew would always have to protect against superior trains. If they had a change in plan they would have to call the operator on a phone to change up the plan.

If any of these are in signal territory there would be additional rules regarding opening mainline switches.

So to answer your question, it depends. The era, railroad, location, operating method are all going to shape what rules are needed.
In regards to what the dispatcher knows and does not know about the territory again will be completely dependent on the items stated above.

Postman:
For what it is worth I like the top drawing, it is the most prototypical. It could also be served from the other direction as a shoving movement out of a nearby yard. Could be interesting to incorporate a caboose or shoving platform.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/