Open Hoppers weight ?
Just wondering how some of you guys add weight to open hoppers. I've been working on some Bowser H-22a's and I'd like to check out some other ideas.

Thanks,
Mark
I don't bother to add weight to empty open hoppers. If there's one or two in a train, I generally place them near the caboose, and if the entire train is empty hoppers, they don't pose any particular problem.
However, I run "live" loads, which make a loaded Athearn or Accurail two-bay hopper weigh about 8oz. One or two of those can be placed anywhere in a train, although if there are more than two in a train, their share of the trailing tonnage is doubled - in other words, one or two are considered ordinary freight cars, tonnage-wise, but more than two in a train each count as two ordinary cars. This affects the overall allowable number of cars in any given train, which in turn determines if the train requires more power (all locos have a tonnage rating, based on actual tests).
There are tri-weekly coal trains, comprised of a dozen loaded hoppers. With a caboose, these trains weigh 100oz., and are always doubleheaded. If, on a rare occasion, another car of any type is added to this train, another locomotive is required.

If you do need to add weight to empty hoppers, probably the most preferable spot would be underneath, between the hoppers and not protruding below the sidesills. Weights there would be invisible unless the car were to derail and roll-over. Crazy

You could make a simple mould using sheet metal, then pour melted lead for your weights or make a similar mould using sheet styrene, and substitute plaster for the lead. I'd glue them in place using contact cement, but be sure to follow the instructions to the letter: applied and used incorrectly, the solvents can damage plastic.

Wayne
Doctorwayne wrote: You could make a simple mould using sheet metal, then pour melted lead for your weights or make a similar mould using sheet styrene, and substitute plaster for the lead.

Lead shot mixed in plaster could also be used, instead of molten lead, if you are a bit nervous about melting and pouring metals. Big Grin Wink like I am .
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!