Transformer for a Lionel 2141WS set
Hi Lionel guys, I have a question I know one of you will be able to answer. I just got today a 2141WS "O" set that is exactly the set I had as a 6 year old. It does not have a transformer and I would like to have the same one that my dad got for the set in 1949. The set has the 671 steam turbine with the whistle tender, operating milk refer and log dump as well as caboose and a hopper car. The transformer I had was not a monster but had 2 knobs, one for the whistle which had a spring to return it. If I have a number I am sure I can find one somewhere.
Merry Christmas
Charlie

Charlie:
I believe that Lionel's O sets (as opposed to O27) didn't come with a transformer; that was extra cost.
The description you give could be a TW transformer which had 2 circuits (not sure if they were independent) or a 1033 which came with the bigger O27 sets.
There were other transformers. My Lionel stuff is 1953 and after so I don't know what 1949 supplied.
The 1033 was 90W and had 2 levers.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Hi David, I knew the transformer had been purchased separately, and It looked like the 1033. The 1033 is 90 watts and they are not too high priced. I just want to be sure 90 watts is enough power. Today I have been working on vintage sets I have but they were not mine as a kid. I have a 48T American Flyer, and an O gauge American Flyer Burlington Zephyr that were gifts from 2 different friends. I would like to display all three sets under the tree next year.
Thanks for the input.
Charlie
Charlie your set was produced in 1948. The TW was first produced in 1953 and was made to control two trains. The 1033 was first made in 1948 and has a spring return whistle control like you described. My guess is the 1033 is what you had.
Robert
Modeling the Canadian National prairie region in 1959.
Thanks Robert, it looks like the right one. I think my son has one I may be able to borrow to test it . They are not commanding very high prices right now and should go even lower at the first of the year.
Charlie
Hello again. While looking at pictures of transformers I realized mine had a sloped top so my memory of 2 handles was of the neighbors. My wiring connections were on the back too, instead of the top so I had an RW and I found one cheap and it is on the way. Thanks again...67 years and I remember a sloped top...and the overload light right in front of you...I saw that light a lot. 357 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Charlie, and Merry Christmas