Signals - Which and where?
Hello,

as some of you may have read in my other thread, I am planning to build an N scale switching layout.
Theme is the modern BNSF in an Illinois located industrial district.
But the layout should be usable as a part of a branch- or maybe mainline, too.
Especially the left and the upper leg.
The lower left to lower right area will be staging only.
I would like to build it some kinda prototypical and I am now asking myself, if there have to be RR signals.
I´m not very experienced with signals and I´d like to know which signals should be placed where on the layout.
Attached, you find a sketch of the track plan and I´m looking forward to any advice you guys can give.

Regards

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.
Charlie
Have a look at some of these sites found thru a Google search.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.google.com/search?q=Railroad+signal+locations&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8">https://www.google.com/search?q=Railroa ... 8&oe=utf-8</a><!-- m -->
There's alot to be learned about RR signal placement on both real & model RRs. Basically signals are needed on both sides of siding & branchline switches. Depending on The RR they could be needed for leaving spurs.
See the attached image for signal locations. Only did sidings as don't know what the spurs are being used for (branchline or industry). The double signals before sidings indicate two signal heads for color over color signals like Red over Green (taking diverging route). The two signals "inside" the siding are two signals w/ each is to the right of the track so the engineer knows which track it's for. (forgot to put the two signals on left end of bottom siding)

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:See the attached image for signal locations. Only did sidings as don't know what the spurs are being used for (branchline or industry). The double signals before sidings indicate two signal heads for color over color signals like Red over Green (taking diverging route). The two signals "inside" the siding are two signals w/ each is to the right of the track so the engineer knows which track it's for. (forgot to put the two signals on left end of bottom siding)
Thank you very much for your reply.
I guess I forgot to point out two important things.
First, the lower part of the layout will be staging without scenery.
No signals have to be put there.
So I cut the first drawing a bit to reduce to the essential part.

Second, the "mainline" will run from lower left to upper right of the layout.
I marked the ends of the module in red.

All spurs (except the siding) are industries.
The connection from the top right to the lower right part could be seen as some kind of branch...
I don´t know if the very last turnout on the lower right end will be put there or not.

If you don´t mind, please add the signals needed to the new drawing.

Once more: Thank you!

Attached Files Image(s)

Stephan

Guys, if I don't bleed to death pretty soon, I'm gonna die of boredom.