Ashley shops of the CRR of NJ of 1890-1900
**** Ashley shops of the CRR of NJ of 1890, give of take 10 years.

** That is the project, my new engine facility, I have been doing for awhile and have returned to yesterday. There is a Roundhouse with turntable,( C shaped, 16 stall sections,) Locomotive Erecting shop, Blacksmith shop, and Carpenter shop. Other shop services are provided in other buildings scattered around the facility. The Building I am doing first is the Locomotive Erecting Shop. Two things stopped my building of the facility. Windows and doors ! This is just one of the problems. The other has been a knee replacement. All this behind me I'll try again. I'll be talking about it from time to time.

** At present I am working on 2 of the 3 different types of double hung windows used in its construction. A common problem with scratch building any building is a lack of photos. With this building I have views of only 2 of the walls. This is a all brick highly detailed 1 story building, 170' X 90' building. It looks like 2, 170' X 45" high center peaked buildings built side by side, but are one building. Each of the 2 170' long roof peaks has a 150' long clearstory window structures centered on top of them. About 80 double hung windows are on each of these clearstory light providing, and ventilating roof structures. Never mind these 160+ double hung roof ventilating windows, there are many more windows and doors that are on the walls. On the two walls I see I can see in photos are 7 Locomotive doors, and around 20 windows more. To buy this many is impossible for me to do. I have to work around this problem, and will.

frank
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
It sounds like you have a huge project on your hands. With the lighting available today it is easy to forget the things that had to be done to overcome the challenges of the day. Would 3D printing be an option for the window frames? I also wish you a speedy recovery on your knee.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
I have no access to a 3D printer and would not know what is necessary on my end to do it.
frank
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
toptrain Wrote:I have no access to a 3D printer and would not know what is necessary on my end to do it.
frank

3D printing is not "inexpensive", ( first the printer, and then the material the printer uses )and I personally, will never use it.

For your windows:
1. The material would depend on the material the kit is made of. If wood /Card stock, window frames can be wood strip.
If plastic, then plastic strip. ( I would recommend getting a hypodermic syringe, and "Blunt tip" needles for the application of wood glue on the wood windows ). A fine tip brush, and solvent type glue for the plastic. ( I use MEK, Methyl Ethyl Ketone , for styrene. ) (( VENTILATE, and avoid as much skin contact as possible ))

2. Each different window size, would need a different "building jig" ( keeps all the parts aligned and square ) If you haven't used jigs for multiple part building, I highly recommend them, and it's a whole new "learning curve" well worth the effort.

3. the choice to "glaze" the windows or not, is up to you. Again the building jig for each size window could have a "support" in the center of each pane, to lay the glazing material on while the adhesive sets. I would recommend painting/staining the window muntins, before adding the "glass" panes.

4. Each window frames, once painted/stained and dry, can be placed back in the jig, for the process of adding glass.
It helps no end, in achieving virtually identical windows.

5. As with any new procedure, do several "test assemblies" to "get the hang of it". Wink Wink Big Grin

Hope this helps. Thumbsup Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
toptrain Wrote:... Never mind these 160+ double hung roof ventilating windows, there are many more windows and doors that are on the walls. On the two walls I see I can see in photos are 7 Locomotive doors, and around 20 windows more. ...

Hello Frank!

What is about photo etching all these windows?
When i did the crane there were photo etched windows and doors too: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8217">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8217</a><!-- l -->
It is also possible to etch the sashs too to create a deeper look of the brick walls. Like the door to the cabin of the crane.

My 2 €ents

Lutz