Meanwhile, at the cottage...a scratchbuild!
Thanks, guys. Hinges aren't difficult at all. Making sure the little bit of brass wire doesn't go SPROING!! off into nowhere land is the hard part. Just a tiny bit of wire to stand in for the barrel of the hinge does the trick. It may be a bit of an exaggeration but it shows the detail, especially if you add a little highlight with a black wash or thin rust line down the joint.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
very nicely done Thumbsup ,the hinges on the door really make this structure amazing,i cant wait to see what other details you put into this!--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Extremely awesome!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The finish on the wood is great!....and those hinges are a sweet touch! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Keep them progress pics comin' Thumbsup
Steve
I thought I was hallucinating when I saw hinges.....Then I looked again...and sure enough...the door has hinges. Now all it's missing is squeaking stairs.... 2285_
Gus (LC&P).
Sweet! I keep coming back to the padlock you fabricated. It's an excellent detail, and looks great.
Hey thanks everybody for all the great comments. I will post more pictures when I make more progress. This weekend I took a diversion from my diversion, working on an ore car kit. I will start a thread for that and put the link here. Yes, there are pictures from that effort, although I have not looked to see how they came out.

Visited my 'old' LHS down in Portland today (55 miles away!) I finally bit the bullet and bought a NWSL Quarterer for that 0-6-0T steam project (not the Shifter...it's balanced and timed quite well, thank you). I had reviewed many methods of fabricating your own quartering jig from needing advanced metalworking skills to cutting cardboard and I decided it was worth my time and money to drive down to a store and get one.

Neither of the close locations up in King or Pierce counties had one so it was this place that got my dough. I had hoped the first place I called would have one as I had a more pleasant experience in that store, but alas it did not. I was already headed down that way on errands so the gas cost was shared and in the end I figured it was about the same as ordering it online plus shipping. We'll see how it works...hopefully very well!

As for the hinges and other such details, well, one of my goals when scratchbuilding in any medium but especially a cheap one like cardstock is to duplicate the level of quality and detail found on expensive 'craftsman kits'. Working on a structure like this, where you build up each wall to a certain level of completion then add on another level of detail, then paint, then weathering, etc. allows time for scrutiny, time to contemplate just how far you want the detailing to go.

Thanks again for following along!

Galen
Here is a link to that Ore Car thread I mentioned above:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=986">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=986</a><!-- l -->

Galen
Here are a couple pictures including the roof.

[albumimg]716[/albumimg]

[albumimg]717[/albumimg]

Galen
A couple close-ups of the roof:

[albumimg]718[/albumimg]

[albumimg]719[/albumimg]

Galen
And for us detail freaks:

[albumimg]720[/albumimg]

Galen
Fantastic! I love the distressed wood and the details on the door. Worship
Very nice !

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Real nice.
Uh...By the way,,,I lost the key to that door somewhere between "Upper Berth" and the "HO" forum.
Sorry.........
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thanks to all for the comments. It always astounds me what some paint and simple shapes can do to suggest to our brains that there is more than meets the eye. I try to aim for this in my own modeling - it's one of those 'know it when you see it' kinda things, to recognize it in others' modeling. Doesn't necessarily have to be prototypical, just typical in a way that tickles the brain.

Forgot to mention a couple things. First off, the roofing material is one sheet of metal roofing material, pre-shaped to resemble panels with seams. I just cut lines on either side of the peak down a few inches to suggest a ridge cap, while it really is one piece of material. Bending it down over the edges of the roof was easy with one of my favorite multi-taskers, a burnishing tool made by WS for their dry transfer letters. Came in handy all throughout the project so far.

Also I used some Bragdon's weathering powders on the roof (along with some gray paint streaked down the panels), down around the base of the structure, and on the landing and what will be the piece under the stairs.

Pieces are already cut for the stairs and railings...that's next weekend's work. Thanks again for checking in!

Galen