Some Weathering, first try.
Hi there,
I think I´ve never posted some pics of my first steps in weathering some rolling stock. I have doe a lot of weathering on larger scale models like cars,Trucks and some 1:35 tanks but the H0 things are new to me. I use pastels,oilpaints,pigments and other things, airbrush and paint brushes ans some other tools.
So I started with and Roundhouse 50ft boxcar kit. Here are some before and after pictures. Airbrushed with some diluted white paint for fading the green and the added some rustspots with a fine brush. used some pigments and a soft brush after that.
[Image: RIMG0057.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0064.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0186.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0187.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0188.JPG]

I don´t have filled the holes in the roof and haven´t done any details . It´s sitting on the started build shelf since that time. Will do some more work on that someday.

My next try was an Athearn 50ft double door boxcar. The material and tools are the same on that model.

[Image: RIMG0056.JPG]
Faded the paint a little bit with a light grey wash
[Image: RIMG0063.JPG]
Painted some areas of the roof with burnt sienna oil paint and added some MIG rust pigments in different tones.
[Image: RIMG0182.JPG]
added some scratches and rust spots with a fine brush and then sprayed a light dust on the lower part of the shell with diluted Valejo light grey
[Image: RIMG0183.JPG]
the other side looks better in my opinion
[Image: RIMG0185.JPG]

I´ll post some pictures of my 40ft PGE boxcar later.
Any comments are very appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
That is very well done. You know when to stop and not going into the overdone trap. I was astound reading it was your very first but you have experience on larger scales.
Reinhard
Excellent! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Very nice. I'd use your photos as models for how to weather effectively!
Hi there,
wow,thanks a lot. I´m realy happy that you like it.
Reinhard,yes those are my first boxcars I made in H0 scale. Used some photos for reference and tried to not overdo it.
Here are the pictures of the Accurail 40ft Combo Door Boxcar.
I used again picture from my Canadian Railcar Pictorial book about the PGE/BCR I bought when I started with buying rolling stock.
[Image: RIMG0066.JPG]
I added Kadde trucks and couplers and removed the upper part of the ladder on one end and the roofwalk.
[Image: RIMG0055.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0060.JPG]
I used again MIG pigments, oil colors and some Valejo paint to weather that boxcar. Result was a heavy weathering, a bit too much in my opinion but I´ll stay with it.I cleaned the wheels before it entered service Wink
[Image: RIMG0189.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0190.JPG]
[Image: RIMG0192.JPG]

So that´s all of my weathered rolling stock for now, but I´ll do more weathering for sure. I don´t like the shiny look on all the trucks,cars and other equipment on my layout cause I love that aged realistic look...and also those abandoned buildings cars etc....There will be a small salvage yard on my layout,that´s a must have Wink

This is a picture of a small street scene I made some time ago.
[Image: 1stdio054.JPG]

It could be easyly changed for larger scale. The picture with the pickup and the Hotrod are on the same base like the H0 cars.
[Image: 20784_397761850331222_1263278341_n.jpg]
[Image: 529110_397761596997914_1697880777_n.jpg]

Ok,thanks a lot again for the nice comments. I hope to weather some more things,soon...And any comments are very welcome.

Regards,Chris
Building the BC-Rail Dawson Creek Subdivision in H0 scale http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7835
Chris, WOW!!! your weathering slap knocked my socks off Thumbsup Worship Worship
Truly outstanding work Applause
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]