How long has it been, are you happy about it?
Those were fun times Pete . I had a 4a8 Marx O scale that had one turnout . If I could count $1 for how many laps I did with that train , I'd be a millionaire ! Icon_lol
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
33 Years for me (us)... A few friends and I started the HO in 1982

1984 sold the Ho switched to N
1986 I moved out of the parent's house and the N scale became a 3' long shelf, switching layout
1992 got my own house, the wife gave me a G gauge starter set for our Fourth anniversary and we've been in G ever since Smile

1999 re-did the entire layout (11 X 9) and started the ceiling part, finished in 2000
2007 Added a new section, a mine scene diorama type section under the bench work
2011 built a Z gauge briefcase layout - ran it a few years and sold it on e-bay
2013 added a 2 track siding/yard -- layout is now 13 X 9 and we added some scenery
2014 shored up the ceiling part and encased all the threaded rod with wood
2015 added a caved in mine section

Am I happy, absolutely!!! We still think of new things to add although we are running out of horizontal space Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
What I have now was started in 1996. Well if you count the planning it started in 94. There have been many changes.
Started with 2 helix's now has none.
Started with 2 levels now has one main level, one short line with multiple levels.{my layout is Wv.& Va.} has one level of hidden yards with 2 tracks dropping about 1 foot in about 15 feet for each yard one east one west.
in 07 I had to make major changes for access due to health problems. I am still working on these changes and don't think I will ever completely finish them.So 20 years on it and still not finished.OOPs make that 22 with planning.

Oh yea is satisfied kinda like happy?
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
I have heard it said that "Practice, makes Perfect" . . . . . I have found that, while it may "look perfect", it's really, only just an indicator that I need more "Practice".
That said, I am happy with the results all that 55 years of "practice" has lead to.
Compliment appreciated, Thanks.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The club layout (Hedley-Junction) started back in February 2006 as a harbour layout based on Quebec City in the late 1950s. It then moved to another hosue basement, evolved and became a messy labyrinth. The newer parts were rebuilt as a yard, then the original parts were renewed as the Murray Bay subdivision. Then the yard was once again modified several time until a last rebuilt two years ago. But nothing survive of the original structure. I still consider it to be the same layout since we never changed the prototype but only changed our focus on which part of the line to model. The only thing that remained was the staging area known as Hedley-Junction. Also, the era went from 1957 to the 1960s, then the 1970s, early 80s and finally settled in the mid-1980s...

The project as a whole was a crazy process... When I look back at it, almost 80% of efforts, money and resources poured into the project was misguided. But you never learn from your good actions, only from your mistakes. If it was to be done again, I would reduce the scope a little bit. There's still a few things I'm not satisfied with, but generally speaking, I like the prototype, the concept and the industries. The fact operation occur on a regular basis means to me it is a success.

Meanwhile, I started a lots of small layouts since then. Many dozens planned, maybe a dozen partially built. Most were failure, but I've learned a lot and it made the club layout better in the end. I wouldn't have gone that far if I didn't have the freedom to experiment.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
The new smaller home N scale layout? No I'm not real happy with it but I will keep working on it. The N scale show layout (Onandaga Sub) yeah I'm happy with it I do wish it was bigger but it's a PITA to get it out of the basement for a show. The current Z scale show layout.I seem to like it more everyday especially now that I have some buildings for it.

I also have a HO layout at club that basically is my problem child.It will be dual mode powered (DC & DCC) so its main purpose will be for testing and breaking in new /newly purchased HO locos.

I should add that I started this adventure in 1978 the year before we bought our house.It is as much fun today as it was back then. :mrgreen:
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
1. Years

2. No
Tyson Rayles Wrote:While you were good 55 years ago you skills are awesome today Pete! Applause

Mike, 55 years on the sharp leading edge of that learning curve, and the desire to constantly improve, are responsible for where my skills have gotten to, today.
It's sobering to look at those two photos and see how those 55 years have refined my skills, to their present level.
Sobering, :o and still difficult to believe. :mrgreen:
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
I know what you mean Pete. A few years ago I found a couple of pics of my first attempt to get back into model railroading as an adult (late 70's). Back then I thought it was a pretty good attempt. Looking at what I do now compared to those pics I did the only thing I could do, I burned the pictures! Crazy Eek Nope Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
This scratch built freight-house, is a project I did in 1959/1960.......it finally found a permanent home on the new ( 30") module set..... "How long has it been ?" Wink hmmm 1959.....THAT Confusedhock: was 57 years ago Eek Wink Big Grin

This was also the first roof that I used individual simulated wood ( paper ) shingles on. Since then all buildings I roof with wood shingles, use the same "one-at-a-time" technique..........My best guesstimate, is somewhere around 8,000 individual shingles over those 57 years ( yeah "guesstimate"....I'm not even going to think about counting them all. Icon_twisted )