Soldering Iron Non-Catastrophe
I plugged my Weller 35watt soldering iron in on 2/1 to do some work on my N&W cabooses, and discovered 15 days later (after I got back from Europe) that IT WAS STILL PLUGGED IN! Confusedhock: 35 :oops:

After it cooled down I found some heat-related changes, but no functional damage. More importantly, my house wasn't burned down! That would have irritated my wife!

The hot side of these photos was facing up in the stand. Notice the discoloration of the "Weller" ring

Apart you can see a white heat streak up the handle, the disassembly ring damage noted above, absolutely no damage to the heating element or it's wiring leads, and a spot of rust on the tip itself (and another 180 degrees removed). Not certain what would have caused that.

A crust of oxidation formed on the tip - easily knocked off with a file.

The iron is still functional - this is a good unit if it can survive a user like me...

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
I thought I was the only one who did that. My work station is a flip top coffee table like truck in the living room. One day when I sat on it, it felt kinda warm. I opened it to find my iron faithfully idling away at full heat, left from my last ask about a week earlier.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
think the longest I've left my Weller station was 12 days now you beat my record. Icon_lol great stations though.
Jim
Sheeesh Matt your a lucky man. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Wow - really glad that story had a happy ending and not one filled with fire trucks and cinders.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Yep, it happens to the best of us. We've left irons on at our shop all night and a few times on weekends. It was normally me that did it and not anyone else. Fortunately, the Wellers are all built to at least not burn up if they're in their cradle.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
PHEW!!!!! Eek Glad that turned out well!
Ralph
It's good to hear (I guess) that I am not the only one! 357 . I'll dispute being lucky and instead give credit to a well made product saving me from myself. I'd assume that one of Weller's product testing use cases is something similar to what I did - maybe longer!

What I've learned from this is that soldering in a well-cleared area is beneficial not only to give yourself work room, but to reduce he possibility of something falling onto or otherwise touching the hot iron...
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
I hope you're trip wasn't ruined because you had that funny feeling you "Left something on"

I guess the Wellers are good...I've had some cheapos burn out after a couple of hours.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I hope you're trip wasn't ruined because you had that funny feeling you "Left something on"

I guess the Wellers are good...I've had some cheapos burn out after a couple of hours.

Luckily, it didn't even occur to me! If anything, I was relaxed on that count because I'd gotten a soldering task out of the way prior to leaving!

Unfortunately, my wife wasn't able to travel with me, so if I had got that funny feeling I could have called, emailed or sent her a text message. Communication technology to the rescue...

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
This reminds me of the time that i was taking an Emergency Preparedness Merit Badge course. one of the speakers was from the fire department, and he was talking about all the things you shouldn't have in your basement (which plenty of those were in my basement...) and then it occurred to me i had left the soldering iron on. the first chance i got, i called my home, and my sister shut it off, but it had already been on for about 5 hours at that point.

I gotta be more careful, lol.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]