ISL 2016 - Thinking out loud
Well hello fellow modelers.

As some might know its been a few years since I packed up my layout http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=4271 and sold everything!

Well life isn't much less busy and my business isn't doing as well as it should but I have confidence that it has turned and will continue to get better the more I work on it and work hard at all new things.

I've been trawling around the threads and getting rather keen again....at least to the point where I have identified a possible new location for a layout in the house or more specifically in my outside office. At this stage its just dreams and if I do decide to do anything it will be a few months before I commit and then I will start with something simple and small.

I love the ISL, Lance M and closer to this forum Faraway and Alcanman1s work, pity a lot of his content got lost!!

So far I 2 options drawn up and thought I would share. I haven't decided on exact industries yet but I like covered hoppers, one tank car at least and box cars....maybe the odd centre beam so a plastics, fertilizer or food processor are possibilities with a definite box car presents on the layout...have to run a railbox cars!!

I have a 4m or 13ft option which takes up the full wall but it has a door open right into it so I would have a lift out to cover that:

But actually I prefer this version on a much smaller footprint (2,5m or 8ft or so) that doesn't mess with the door opening at all:

You might recognize this configuration and ten points if you do!!

Any way...let the comments come...

Callum
Looks like a version of Alcanman's Deerfield Beech layout.
I enjoyed going thru you're old layout thread and will keep an eye on this one Thumbsup

Cheers
Jacques
My only advice would be to make sure the spot where the cars go inside the industry should be along the wall. It won't be fun at all to operate several turnouts and switch cars behind the structure. I've put a tall building in front of the siding and main line on my layout and I find it less than interesting, particularly during operating session.

Since you can fit everything without having an annoying lift out section, I do agree the second track plan is much more user friendly and easier to put together.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
SSWUPinSA Wrote:....I haven't decided on exact industries yet but I like covered hoppers, one tank car at least and box cars....

Sounds like it might be a good fit for GERN. Goldth

Wayne
The plans looks nice and interesting. My thoughts
- a lift out section in front of a door that opens into the room is no fun. Everybody knocking at the door will be your natural enemy. I would avoid it.
- a lift out section as a 90° curve is not stable if simply put down and it will stay in the way if mounted with a hinge. May be too complicated.
- a larger building in the front blocking the view and the 0-5-0 makes switching physically complicated. Go for a team track, scrap yard etc. in that spot.
Wish you the best to implement the plan soon!
Reinhard
Hi Callum.

Your track plan looks very similar to a design in one Lance M's books. Do I collect 10 points? 357

I like the simplicity of this plan and I did use it as the basis of my Deerfield Beach layout ( well spotted Jacques) . I simply add an additional spur

I agree that plan 2 is best and also avoid having large structures at the front of the layout they can get in the way.

I've been looking back at your old layout which was inspirational when I started building ISLs

Good luck with the new project.

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
sailormatlac Wrote:My only advice would be to make sure the spot where the cars go inside the industry should be along the wall. It won't be fun at all to operate several turnouts and switch cars behind the structure. I've put a tall building in front of the siding and main line on my layout and I find it less than interesting, particularly during operating session.

Matt

Matt,I've been that route and if powered switches is used there is no issues and depending how the structure is placed manual switches will work. One wouldn't want a manual switch directly behind the structure since like you say that will cause issues.

I favor breaking up the foreground with structures since gives depth and adds realism to the scene-ever see small buildings in front and taller in back? I have, only on layouts though. Wink I do limit the height to no more then 7" , used uncoupling magnets and if needed a powered switch.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Perhaps I should have posted a little more info first, don't have much time for these posts so they done in a hurry... Agreed on all points made but to clear up I dont have any internal offloading, think the bottom industry and detail was misleading.

The plan is a mirrored version of a plan from Lance M's books....just works well and I've adapted it to fit, not very original but its a start. if you read my lasy threads my design changed quite a bit but I like that this is modeled after a real location.. I prefer the wall staging behind the door if open, as stated it never becomes and issue and its far more reliable.

1. Plastic or food producing at Industry 1 with 2 spots, one of each type of rolling stock or 2 of the same depending on requirement for the week
2. Box cars at Industry 2 with 2 spots, box cars only....pref some Hi-cubes.
3. A single box car at Industry 3 that is seldom in place, perhaps in the 90’s it was decreasing its rail demand…kinda a half served industry.
4. Max 2 spots at Industry 4 at the front, if not only one most times, this would be an open paved lot accessed after passin behind a low relief non-rail served building. It could hold timber on bulkheads for forklift offloading in the first spot and a boxcar for loading at the doors of the purple building to the top, maybe a furniture manufacturer . this structure would be modeled to indicate a bigger building under the overpass.

Here is a more detailed plan in ft:

I'm guessing in this small a space you will be modeling in z scale?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:I'm guessing in this small a space you will be modeling in z scale?

Mike, A 8' long layout like the above will work quite well for a small HO ISL. With 4 axle yard switcher like a SW8 or Alco S-4 and 40' cars you can build a nice ISL on a 1x6 foot board.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Sorry that grid was definitely not in feet:

Here is the feet version...yes about 8ft x 1.5ft for the actual layout without the staging:

So whats the best GP60 and GP38 model in DCC with sound right now? I see Athearn Genesis and FVM are making a good looking unit in both... I like UP or SSW or SP
So whats the best GP60 and GP38 model in DCC with sound right now? I see Athearn Genesis and FVM are making a good looking unit in both... I like UP or SSW or SP
How about a Walthers? I have got some GP60 in BNSF/ATSF paint scheme and they are excellent runners. Don't know about sound from Walthers. A new Walthers model is easy to identify by a LifeLike price multiplied by three :o
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/walthers-ho-n/walthers-proto-HO-920-series/proto-2000-diesel/gp-60/">http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers ... sel/gp-60/</a><!-- m --> SP GP60 $249.99 with soundtrax sound

Athearn Genesis is always risky for me. The model look great and "may" run good but the lack of quality control from Athearn manufacturing partner in China makes it a gamble. Might be a great choice if your LHS has several in the shop and you can select your model.

For GP38 is Atlas my very first choice. They are excellent runners!
Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard, I had 2 Atlas Masterline GP40-2PII and loooved them, will look into a GP38