Sound decoder install project
Have a GP38-2 waiting for a sound install on my benchwork.I always installed Tsunamis but looks Esu has awesome sounds and very good motor control. Also want to run trains in a consist.What is your preferred sound decoder?
I prefer the Tsunami sound decoders.

The ESU sound (and none sound) decoders have a nasty humming sound at low speed I can not stand. They have that since version 2 and did never fix it but declared it "works as designed".
The intensity of the humming sound depends on the quality of the drive (how much BMF action is required to get the motor under control). First class Atlas drives create a moderate level of noise but old LifeLike drives ......

Anyhow, if you are not "allergic" to that kind of sound Loksound may be a good choice. But do not forget to get the ESU programmer. There are endless CVs to set and a computer screen is really required. I read in the Decoder Pro forum that ESU has some CVs quite unique and Decoder Pro does not fully support them.
Reinhard
On my MP15AC installed a Tsunami but I´m not satisfied with its motor control.I´m using manual notching and tweaked CVs.
postman Wrote:On my MP15AC installed a Tsunami but I´m not satisfied with its motor control.I´m using manual notching and tweaked CVs.
A very common problem mentioned frequently. I had severe problems too and was close to dump my Tsunamis.
This will cure the problem http://www.trainweb.org/gnw/BEMF%20Tuning.htm (set CV 210 down to 3 and 209 to 40) and define your own step table starting at 1,2 3.....up to 255 and get CV 66 and 95 down to 40 or 50.
ps. No it will not win a race anymore Wink
Reinhard
If it may help here the CVs of some sound equipped locos which had before a jerky start and stop behavior:

Atlas Genset 2 (with the new not so good motor as before) :
CV10: BEMF cutout 0
CV 67: 3
CV 68: 5
Then a straight line to
CV94: 109
CV209: KP Coefficient 24
CV210: KI Coefficient 10
CV212: Motor Control Intensity (BEMF Feedback Intensity) 255 (100%)
CV213: Motor Control Sample 15
CV214: Motor Control Aperture Time 15
CV215: BEMF Gain Coefficient 2 = ON
CV216: Voltage Adjustement (DCC RMS Voltage) 140

Athearn Genesis GP9 (Roco motor) with OEM Sound:
CV 68: 7
Then a straight line to
CV94: 128
CV209: KP Coefficient 80
CV210: KI Coefficient 2

Bachmann ALCO S-2 (Bachmann motor, a not so good runner) with OEM Sound
CV 67: 1
CV 68: 4
Then a straight line to
CV209: KP Coefficient 30
CV213: Motor Control Sample 11
CV214: Motor Control Aperture Time 20

I hope this may help you to set your decoders, after changing the CVs the starts and stops smoothens out. And all will used for switching duties.

Cheers Lutz
Thanks Lutz!.
I´m waiting for the new Soundtraxx sound decoder,the Tsunami 2.
Postman,
there will come some additional CVs to fumble with:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsu2_diesel_technical_ref.pdf">http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsu2_ ... al_ref.pdf</a><!-- m -->
See page 93 ff. O.K. let's see what we will get... Popcornbeer

For me, i have purchased three of the Econamis, two steam and one diesel. One of the steam decoders was installed in a ATSF Class #1050.
For the Diesel i am waiting for an ordered Atlas ALCO RSD-4/5 with Santa Fe zebra stripe livery, but not yet delivered here in Germany.
When i get this RSD-4/5 ALCO, then i will be able to make my expieriences with the Diesel Econami.
On the test bench, which has a sugar cube speaker integrated, the Econami sounds great.

Cheers Lutz
Yeah the Econami sounds nice but they need to upload the EMD 16cyl 645E non turbo file sound,that´s what I´m looking for,sound for my GP 38-2s.
@postman!

Good news for you. Just visited the Soundtraxx pages:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami2/products/tsuPNP.php">http://soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami2/products/tsuPNP.php</a><!-- m -->
The Tsunami 2 will be available in PNP format as presumed. 2285_

Cheers Lutz
Did Soundtraxx publish a formal availability date of the Tsunami 2 sound decoders?
ps. Looks like no 21 pin packaging. That is a surprise. 21 pin packaging is a growing market.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Did Soundtraxx publish a formal availability date of the Tsunami 2 sound decoders?
ps. Looks like no 21 pin packaging. That is a surprise. 21 pin packaging is a growing market.

Reinhard!

After a telephone conversation Mr. Drexler told me in app. about 8 weeks the TSU-2 will be available here in Groß-Rohrheim on this side of the big pond.
And it will be assumed ( :!: This is only RUMOR :!: ), that they will make a version with 21-pin MTC too.

Cheers Lutz
Will they update their sound files?
Anyway,just ordered the Loksound Select decoder.We´ll see how it goes.
Well,finally installed a Loksound decoder with a Zimo sugar cube speaker in my Proto 2000 CSX GP38-2. Great sound and great motor control.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IS7f4KXGDc">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IS7f4KXGDc</a><!-- m -->
Schraddel Wrote:If it may help here the CVs of some sound equipped locos which had before a jerky start and stop behavior:

Atlas Genset 2 (with the new not so good motor as before) :
CV 68: 5
Then a straight line to
CV94: 109
CV209: KP Coefficient 24

Athearn Genesis GP9 (Roco motor) with OEM Sound:
CV 68: 7
Then a straight line to
CV209: KP Coefficient 80
CV210: KI Coefficient 2

Bachmann ALCO S-2 (Bachmann motor, a not so good runner) with OEM Sound
CV 67: 1
CV 68: 4
Then a straight line to
CV94q: 128
CV209: KP Coefficient 30
CV213: Motor Control Sample 11
CV214: Motor Control Aperture Time 20

I hope this may help you to set your decoders, after changing the CVs the starts and stops smoothens out. And all will used for switching duties.

Cheers Lutz

Lutz....I have 2 questions....#1) the CV values that you list here...these are the new ones to make improvement? Yes?

#2). When you write on these locos the red words " Then a straight line to.." What do you mean?

Thank you,
Gene