2 cent tip
I know these are lame, but for anyone new: :oops:

For those of you that enjoy modelling in a certain era in a certain area my two cent tip is that you should rather focus on having many of one type of engine than many different types.

Also make sure the solder you buy for your rails is RESIN CORE not ACID CORE as this eats your plastic sleepers (cross ties).
Take it easy- take the train!
Two good tips worth repeating!
Ralph
Or, have a good reason for variety. Several basic engines of the same type, plus a switcher and perhaps a Shay for a steeply graded portion - all reasonable for certain operations.

Good tips! Thumbsup
gotta agree more with mountain man!

A certain era doesn't mean only one railroad company,
and I personally prefer the variety of different types!

just my .14 rmb Goldth
Cid
Numbering your "many of one type of engine" over a range suggests that the railroad is larger than is shown. (Look at Thomas the Tank Engine: sequential numbers from 1 up, every engine different {with exception}, no pattern to tender vs tank engines.) A little variety in details suggests a line that has made improvements over the years, but hasn't managed complete uniformity. Most railroads managed a pattern to numbering with the first digits giving a class and the rest being roughly delivery sequence. (But I can give lots of counterexamples to the last.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.