Removing fingerprints question
What can I use to remove fingerprints from my finished hopper cars Curse . I discovered them this morning when I was putting the coal loads in. Hopper cars have already been weathered. looks like the prints were left from my oily fingers. I don't want to damage the weathering and I'm trying to avoid a re-paint.

Any help,

Mark
What did you use to weather the car(s)? Quick answer..Dullcote. Long answer...remove the weathering,wash the car and re-weather.
Used some of my last Pollyscale colors and some Modelmasters Acryil paints. Wouldn't the dullcote just seal the fingerprints on the hopper car?
twilight Wrote:Used some of my last Pollyscale colors and some Modelmasters Acryil paints....

Since your weathering was done with water-based paints and should be fully-cured, use a soft, clean, well-dampened rag with a bit of dish detergent to gently wipe off the fingerprints. Rinse the rag well, then, with it damp, wipe the previously-cleaned areas to remove any soap residue.

twilight Wrote:....Wouldn't the dullcote just seal the fingerprints on the hopper car?

Not likely, as it won't stick very well to the greasy areas. Crazy

I always wash my hands before running trains, working on the layout, or working on models, mainly to prevent such incidents. While beverages are allowed in the layout room, absolutely no food items are permitted, even though I'm usually the only one manually handling any trains.

Wayne
Doctorwayne, that's what I came up with, too. I used a little dishsoap and water with a Q tip. Used the Q tip as applicator and to dry. Worked pretty well. I'm going to see about using those latex finger cots for handling things in the paint booth and work bench from now on.
Thx,
Mark
twilight Wrote:Used some of my last Pollyscale colors and some Modelmasters Acryil paints. Wouldn't the dullcote just seal the fingerprints on the hopper car?
Must have been some very greasy fingers!! :o Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
I never really noticed them until I showed them to my wife! Thumbsup