Suggestions for Locomotives?
I am in the process of picking out some motive-power for my modern-era proto-freelance railroad and could use some input. It's a short-line railroad covering about 40 miles, serving a quarry in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania, an industrial bakery, a couple of breweries, and a smattering of other local industries. I've done some googling, and have come up with what I think is a pretty decent motive power roster, but I'd like some input to see what you guys think.

So, to handle the quarry and bakery traffic (both are up the mountain on the same stretch of track), I'm looking at an SD9 as an "It's old, but it still works" type of power or an SD35. The rock trains are heavy and the quarry is up a mountain, so a piece of heavy duty power to handle heavy trains up and down a mountain seems to make sense.

To handle the mixed train for the local industries and transload tracks, I am looking at an SW1500. It would also handle the yard switching duties.

To handle the beer trains, two of them, I am looking at either one or two GP30s or GP10s.

The part of the layout I am going to be doing first has 18-20" radius turns, which shouldn't be an issue since the SD9 or SD35 wouldn't be running in there anyways except for possibly slow speed.

Does anyone have any input or other ideas? DOes this seem normal or typical? Would appreciate thoughts.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
Looks reasonable to me.

The Goderich and Exeter is a bit longer than your line. It lists 12 units and a slug. 2 SD40-2 and 1 SD45T-2. Rest are between GP35 and GP40.
G&E paint often looks just patched from the previous or even original owner; some are in the corporate scheme.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
What time period, and is this line an old PRR right of way? These are 2 things that would help decide the power. The PRR had relaid most of their important lines with 130# rail so heavier equipment and trains could be handled. The time period would influence the loco builders. I had an ALCo S-1 and a GP9 at the KJR. (I liked the ALCo best
Charlie
SD locomotives might have trouble on the 18-20 curves. You can also get by with B-B locomotives mated to slugs for extra pulling power. Railroads would often like to stay with the same parts bins for motive power, so either Geeps and other 567 engined locomotives or 645 engined locomotives would probably be more plausible.

My heart still lies with ALCO products, so that would be my first desire, but GE U25Bs and B23-7s are also flooding the market (you did say modern).
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I think the GP38-2 is the most obvious engine for a contemporary freelance short line. There are plenty of them on the prototype and model market.
Reinhard
In my years of studying short lines locomotives seem to be from one manufacturer and the affordable older locomotives with some leased units as needed.

Here is my choices for a 40 mile long short line based on my studies. GP9s,GP10s.GP16s or GP38s would be my first choice and my second choice would be GP38-2s.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Any kind of 567 engined road switcher would be my first choice. Don't forget the GP18, GP20, and GP35. Kato GP35s can be found on eBay for a reasonable price and are some of the best running engines that I ever owned. I have 2, one Southern Hi Hood and one NS low hood.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Did the short lines remove the turbo from the GP35 to save maintenance cost? What would a GP35 without turbo be called? GP20 became GP18....
Reinhard
Charlie B Wrote:What time period, and is this line an old PRR right of way? These are 2 things that would help decide the power. The PRR had relaid most of their important lines with 130# rail so heavier equipment and trains could be handled. The time period would influence the loco builders. I had an ALCo S-1 and a GP9 at the KJR. (I liked the ALCo best
Charlie

Time period - "Modern". So, now.

Regarding it being an ex-PRR RoW, I dunno, maybe? I am tying it in to the NS at Hollidaysburg, PA, but the line heads in to the Allegheny mountains, most of the lines that went up there, particularly up Broad Top Mountain, were short lines that were built on their own [The Huntington and Broad Top Mountain and East Broad Top RR]. So most likely the track was already there and my line brought it back in to use, whether being an old PRR branch/spur, or an old short line brought back in to use, probably the former. I don't know yet.

Mike Kieran Wrote:SD locomotives might have trouble on the 18-20 curves. You can also get by with B-B locomotives mated to slugs for extra pulling power. Railroads would often like to stay with the same parts bins for motive power, so either Geeps and other 567 engined locomotives or 645 engined locomotives would probably be more plausible.

My heart still lies with ALCO products, so that would be my first desire, but GE U25Bs and B23-7s are also flooding the market (you did say modern).

The SD wouldn't ever be on the 18-20" curves, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the parts commonality for the engines, after actually looking I didn't realize I was "double dipping", as it were, between both :O

Mike Kieran Wrote:Any kind of 567 engined road switcher would be my first choice. Don't forget the GP18, GP20, and GP35. Kato GP35s can be found on eBay for a reasonable price and are some of the best running engines that I ever owned. I have 2, one Southern Hi Hood and one NS low hood.
I might already have a GP35 model in storage. I am still unpacking from moving. I always liked the look of the cab on the GP35, too. I also think I have a GP9, as well.
~Amanda
You might have an interest in GP39-3. Some of them are former GP35 with the modern equipment of GP39-2. It might be fun to find the subtile visible differences. BNSF had some of them and they may be on the market for short lines.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Did the short lines remove the turbo from the GP35 to save maintenance cost? What would a GP35 without turbo be called? GP20 became GP18....

Reinhard,The GP35 was not all that favored by short lines due to many things and short lines seen a GP9 was superior to the 35 that's why short lines favor GP9,GP10 and GP16s.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
faraway Wrote:Did the short lines remove the turbo from the GP35 to save maintenance cost? What would a GP35 without turbo be called? GP20 became GP18....

Reinhard,The GP35 was not all that favored by short lines due to many things and short lines seen a GP9 was superior to the 35 that's why short lines favor GP9,GP10 and GP16s.

Agreed Larry,
But there are some short lines that did purchase them. I just mentioned it because they are Kato engines.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,I have a Kato GP35 and fully agree they're a top runner. I did some more research on the 35s and found the majority of the railroads removed the turbo during a rebuild or heavy repair shopping and the majority of the 35s was downgraded to local and yard work..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Exactly. Plus, it is easier to put a chip in a GP35 (my future plans for my GP35s).

Exohead. Your choices of locomotion are good choices. As a modeler, you want to make sure that you have reliable equipment.

If I had a small room for a short line layout, I would be running a terminal type layout with 539 Alcos for two reasons:
1 - 539 Alcos (S series switchers and RS-1s) we're relatively inexpensive and readily available.
2 - Atlas S series switchers and RS-1s are great running locomotives

If you don't want to go to the trouble of installing ditch lights and all of that fun stuff, then modelling late 70s to the early 90s would allow you to run the same equipment.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Given the info presented here, I've opted to make a few adjustments.

Rather than GP30, I will go with GP10s, and in place of the SD9 I will go with the SD18, and omitting the SW1500 to bring things a bit more in line with what would be realistic.
~Amanda