Suggestions for Locomotives?
exohead Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:The correct answer in every single instance is the cheapest unit to operate that will handle the existing traffic on the existing line, to include grades.

In many cases, a switcher is more than adequate.

That makes perfect sense. To be honest the main reason I am looking at Geeps is because I like them and they were my first "big kid" models after my first train set, and I know I can generate the traffic and a good enough story to warrant them.

And there is your answer. Thumbsup
I also found a really weird, wacky geep that I need to model just because it's so cool and weird. It's the Southern Ry. high hood GP30s. Norfolk Southern seems to have been slowly selling or rebuilding the Southern high hood geeps, so it would stand to reason that at some point or another we picked up a couple for a good price.
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
Hello exohead---now that you have made some choices I thought I'd show a couple of diesel locomotives on the Leetown Division---RS3 #1806 and RS10 #3079 in the background

[Image: 39753085382_bbc2e9da8a_b.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello exohead---now that you have made some choices I thought I'd show a couple of diesel locomotives on the Leetown Division---RS3 #1806 and RS10 #3079 in the background

[Image: 39753085382_bbc2e9da8a_b.jpg]

ALCO diesels are so cool looking.
~Amanda
It should be noted, too, that on some roads, the long hood was considered the front. This was the case on the CNR for both the RS-3 and RS-10, although I believe that this may have been changed later in the lives of these locomotives, especially those re-built with low short hoods. There are some prototype photos HERE.

On a free-lanced road, you can choose whichever option you find most appealing.

Wayne
I believe that this was the case for the Southern Hi Hood GP30s that she's interested in as well. I have a Kato Southern Hi Hood GP35 with ALCO trucks where this was how it was operated.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Here's a typical arrangement of CNR diesel power during the 50's showing the leading RS10 locomotive running with the long hood forward.Note the bell above the headlight of #3079 which also helped to identify the front end.Also on the running board at the handrail the letter "F" was added.

[Image: 36774340966_2a4dd60b86_k.jpg]
This was taken just a few years ago, an ex-Southern GP38-2. If you enlarge the photo, you can see the "F" (FRONT) painted on the sill, near the steps....

[Image: September2010railroadvacation094.jpg]

EDIT: Well, it looks as if photobucket no longer allows a view of the larger image - sorry. Wallbang

Wayne
The high hood geeps are generally pretty cool looking. And Norfolk Southern has been selling them all slowly or converting them over to low hoods since the merger. A bunch just got sold in 2016, I don't know about much more recently. I think all of the GP30s are gone, now, converted or sold. They seem to still have 35s, 38s, and 40s, though. I really like the look of the Southern GP35 on ALCO trucks, almost as much as I like the look of the GP30s. I think they would be fun and unique pieces to model, for sure.
~Amanda
I just saw this thread and did not have time to read page after page of responses. The Arkansas & Missouri is a short line railroad that was looking for used locomotives. They found that They could buy three Alcos for the price of one used EMD. They bought up a bunch of Also Century 420's, and cannibalized two for every one they have running. The cannibalized units are the source of spare parts for the C-420's. The Alcos also pull better on grades than the comparable EMD units.