The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!!
Good morning all
Thunderstorms last night and this morning in eastern Ohio.
Ya'all talking about cars and oil changes.  I worked many years as a Ford parts and service manage. I remember when Ford came out with the 6000 mile oil change. We convinced a lot of people that that was not a good idea because it cut our profits, not because Ford didn't know what they were doing. 
     My son continues as a Ford tech and once told me they  had a guy with a truck with a rod bearing failure. The oil had not been changed since the first change at 600 miles. 
Ford had them send an oil sample, after anglicizing the oil they told him to replace the short block, the oil was fine. 
      Another thing I want to point out is warranty. Few dealers are willing to honor, (or even know about) the 8 year, 80,000 mile emission warranty. 
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles...ooked.html which covers a lot of parts (and labor). 
When I bought my new car they tried to sell me an extended warranty (the car has a 10/100,000 power train) on the items not covered on the 3/36,000 (which is actually 5/50,000) and one of the pitches was what if the catalytic converter goes bad. I told the contract salesman they would replace it under the emission warranty. He told me I was wrong. I told him he better check. He did and found out I was right. That additional warranty coverage was over 3000 bucks. 
      I worked for 5 different car dealers and ONE of them was honest. (That does not mean all of his employees were). 
We are not driving the same cars we had in the 50s, 60, 70s or even the 80's. 
Good day
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VIII.. Stop In!!! - by Charlie B - 07-11-2019, 06:58 AM