My first Scratch Build.
Wow! Fantastic work.

You are correct, sir, on several points. Yes, the MM corner punch can make windows, etc. easier most of the time, depending on the situation. Yes, cardstock can be really strong when laminated.

Don't worry about warping as long as you've got good bracing inside. I got my four walls up together yesterday then wondered if maybe I shouldn't have braced the lower section a bit better, as it is now in accessible other than through a small hole in the floors above and below for the wiring to run through. Still, it's only a little guy so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd think on a larger structure you'd want more bracing.

Now as for the roof, well, I'd just bang it out in paper first then use that as a template. OR build the 'base' of the roof, including the overhang, along with at least one triangle of bracing from corner to corner. As long as you know the height, this will let you actually measure the distances you need to make the roof surface bits in between.

Are you planning on sealing your surfaces before you paint? And if so, with what?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Just had an idea. Make a rectangle as high as the roof (from the top of the walls to the peak) and as long as the distance from one corner to the other (including overhang). Now mark the mid-point along the top (where the peak will be) and connect it with lines to each of the lower corners. Cut the small triangles on either side off. The large triangle will be one axis and the smaller ones, inverted of course and set perpendicular to the large one on either side will be the other axis. Just measure to make sure the cutting didn't remove too much or too little material on one side or the other. Capiche?

Galen
Oh, and another tip - put a piece of tape on the end of that hobby knife making a flap hanging of one side. That way if it rolls, er, when it rolls, it won't roll off the bench and into your foot! :cry:

Where did you get a knife handle like that with the slick tapered end, btw?

Galen
Wow! Holy crap Galen! Slow down man! LOL!!! Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Thanks for the feed back and advice. Its always great to hear from others.

As for the hobby knife, I got it from a kit I bought at Canadian Tire. The kit was labeled as a house brand called "Job Mate". Don't know if that will help or not.
Quote:Are you planning on sealing your surfaces before you paint? And if so, with what?

Missed this question. I was thinking about using some dull coat from a regular can. If you have a better suggestion I'd be glad to hear it. Thumbsup

Worked on the roof some tonight. Still have more to do, but man I'm tired...

[Image: DSC02874.jpg]

[Image: DSC02873.jpg]
I have another question about this little project.

When checking the plans for the stairs it tell me the rise and tread sizes. However, it looks like the stairs are solid and not "see through" as the plans indicate a riser by means of a dotted line when looking at the 2 x 12 stringers. I imagine that including a riser might actually make assembling the stairs a little easier, even though I'll have to cut more little bits to make them.

However, taking some modelers license with this one, do you folks think I should make them solid or see through?
I vote for see-through. I kitbashed a Walther's interlocking tower (you can see the pics either at the Kitbashing HO Structures Yahoo Group or on a thread over at that other Z forum) and made the stairs see-through. The model on the box cover/lid showed air under the steps, but the kit came with a solid single piece of injection molded plastic.

It was easy enough to slice off two long slices of the stairs to make stringers. These were glued inside the boards that run up the outside of the stairs, and scale stripwood was added to make the steps themselves.

Not sure if that helps.

I've been sealing the walls, etc. for my little tower with Krylon gray primer. One thing this project has showed me is that I want to learn more about finishing the card to look like other materials (like concrete slab, sheet metal or grainy wood, etc.). I'm guessing sealing and sanding and sealing and sanding may have something to do with it. Managing the fuzz seems to be the issue.

Those rafters are looking great!

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:I vote for see-through. I kitbashed a Walther's interlocking tower (you can see the pics either at the Kitbashing HO Structures Yahoo Group or on a thread over at that other Z forum) and made the stairs see-through. The model on the box cover/lid showed air under the steps, but the kit came with a solid single piece of injection molded plastic.

It was easy enough to slice off two long slices of the stairs to make stringers. These were glued inside the boards that run up the outside of the stairs, and scale stripwood was added to make the steps themselves.

Not sure if that helps.

I've been sealing the walls, etc. for my little tower with Krylon gray primer. One thing this project has showed me is that I want to learn more about finishing the card to look like other materials (like concrete slab, sheet metal or grainy wood, etc.). I'm guessing sealing and sanding and sealing and sanding may have something to do with it. Managing the fuzz seems to be the issue.

See through it is! Less material for me to cut! Icon_lol

Yeah noticed the fuzz is a bit of an issue. I try to handle the model (just called it a model Big Grin ) with kid gloves as that seems to keep it down. Plus you can sand it or file it to a point and then it starts to get furry, so I learned right away to use a light touch on the parts.

I was also thinking about a grey primer all around too. Perhaps I'll do that instead as that was my initial idea/thought. Do that before I install the windows of course.

ocalicreek Wrote:Those rafters are looking great!

Thanks! Goldth I want to detail the interior slightly, so the roof will be detachable. I did a bit more work after that picture and made a "plug" so the roof sits on the building like a cork in a bottle. Provides a quick and dirty solution for a ceiling inside the room to boot. I may still cut little bits to fit in between the rafters to help seal the inside completely though, as I want to light it as well.

I also started on the landing for the upper level this morning, cut little bits of 4x4 corner posts, 2x10 joists, scribed a 2x6 deck and then 3x3 rails...all out of cereal box card board! Man that was some small delicate and tedious work. I want to keep moving on this, and hope to get the first run of stairs going down and the landing that sits on the corner done tonight.

Cheers and don't forget to post up on your progress too my friend. Thumbsup
I was in "the Zone" tonight...

[Image: DSC02877.jpg]

[Image: DSC02878.jpg]

[Image: DSC02879.jpg]

[Image: DSC02880.jpg]

[Image: DSC02881.jpg]

I apologize for the lighting in the last couple. I was working up stairs at the dinner table...why I'll never know as the lighting is terrible...must be the comfy chairs. I'm very pleased with how the stairs turned out, I was worried that I'd muck it up royally. I just have to finish the lower stair railing and then call this part of the build done.

Next up...windows... Misngth
The stairs are fantastic Thumbsup Thumbsup Worship Worship Worship Worship
Kurt
Thanks Kurt. Big Grin

I got up a little early this morning and finished off the hand rail for the lower steps.

[Image: DSC02883.jpg]

Tonight I may get a jump on the windows, or I may do the doors instead. I have some ideas to make them turn out reasonably well.
Looking great so far!
-Steven-

The Zealot progress thread: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112267</a><!-- m -->
The current progress thread: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=923</a><!-- l -->
That is looking good tetters. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
I'm speechless.
Excellent work.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Great "first steps" in scratchbuilding, Shane. Misngth

Wayne