My first Scratch Build.
Clover House offers a test kit of slide and scriber, plus additional slides. Not sure how the prices compare, though.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Experimenting with lighting...figured out what the "moon" icon does and how much a tripod can improve your shot. However, I can't use the macro setting in the dark.

[Image: DSC02898.jpg]

I've decided to use a micro yellow LED to light the interior. It's wired up to a 3v power supply and a 470 ohm resistor. Works reasonably well and looks tons better in person then what you see here. Plus as an added bonus, from what I can tell, there is no light leaking out from any cracks or seams. I think I'll wire another LED in series to light the bottom floor too.
Very nice work! I approve Thumbsup
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Tetters, looking good. Nice to see card stock being used. Thumbsup
If you want your windows to have a dirty, dusty look, use wax paper. With the light shining through, the windows look real dusty.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
nomad Wrote:Tetters, looking good. Nice to see card stock being used. Thumbsup
If you want your windows to have a dirty, dusty look, use wax paper. With the light shining through, the windows look real dusty.

Loren

That sounds like a neat idea. I was going to use tissue (the kind for wrapping gifts) as blinds set to various heights.

Do you think the wax paper might make a better choice instead?
I would try the wax paper as the window, with the " blind " behind it. But you are talking about detailing the interior, and you can't see through the wax paper.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
If the tower is in use, I'd think that the windows would be reasonably clean. I usually use .010" styrene for blinds - cement a strip of .010" or .020"x.040" to the top edge, then apply glue (not ca - it'll fog your windows) to the strip only, cementing it to the wall above the window - this keeps glue from squishing out onto the surface of the glass. Common colours would be dark green, buff, or grey. Light construction paper would also work, since you're already using wood/paper construction. If you go with the styrene, contact cement is probably the best choice between the dissimilar materials and will last longer than white glue when used on styrene. If you go with the paper, use a strip of cardstock along the top edge, to prevent squishing, and white or yellow glue.
By the way, very nice work, Shane. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Just thought I'd shoot this past you guys on the topic of blinds. The reason I mentioned tissue paper is because you can see the light coming through it. I thought this would give a good impression of blinds when viewed in low light with the interior lights on. However the more I think about it, are blinds even supposed to be even semi-transparent? I suppose I should look at a medium that will block the light entirely then. :?

Heck I might even stick to card stock for the blinds as well? What do you guys think?
I would totally block the light only if your modeling WWII, and its a blackout.

To model blinds, I usually use strips of masking tape. I place the tape at different heights on the windows to simulate varing levels of closeures. The light coming throgh the tape looks like those tan roll-ups.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Instead of blinds how about pull down shades so some could be modeled half down to convey the idea they are there?
The tower is terrific!
Ralph
Neat night shot!

I like the idea of wax paper for dirty windows, since it is easy to come by and relatively cheap, something that fits the ideology of this thrifty & creative project. I've used Dullcoat on the inside of a building before to fog the windows, as it leaves the outer surface shiny and the inside dusty. HOWEVER, wax paper, even on the inside of window glass, will not be nearly as toxic or smelly as dullcote!

The good ole Life-Like general store has a nice feature cast into the front door window. It's a little ring on a string, meant to look like the pull on the shade. Pretty large considering scale, but detail like that really needs to be a little out of scale in order to be seen & appreciated, otherwise, why go to the trouble? Unless, of course, it's going to keep you up at night, I guess. Anyway, I just glazed that window with clear styrene and painted the upper portion above the cast-on pull and muntin a nice yellowish tan.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Couple of shots of primer on the building over the last couple of days. Getting closer to completion.

[Image: DSC02910.jpg]

[Image: DSC02909.jpg]

I'm going to let this dry over night and sand off some of the fuzzies... 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Misngth
Looking good Tetters, and a great night shot. Cheers

I have used tissue paper for blinds before and thought it was OK. You can paint the tissue to get any color if you like, dirty or otherwise, I don't want to hijack your thread, but if you will excuse me here are a couple of photos

[Image: 100_2302.jpg]

[Image: 100_2316.jpg]

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Man Shane, thats hard to believe thats all cardstock!! You have done a excellent job on it bro!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
josh, you took the words right out of my mouth Cheers . Fantastic job, Shane. Worship
Kurt