The rebirth of the Canyon State RR
Don, I have had pretty good luck using a toothpick for very small objects, the trick though is to get the smallest amount of paint on the tooth pick.
Your cars and van look great.  
Charlie
(09-15-2021, 05:54 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Don, I have had pretty good luck using a toothpick for very small objects, the trick though is to get the smallest amount of paint on the tooth pick.
Your cars and van look great.  
Charlie

Good tip Charlie, I'll give it a try. Thanks... Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Went through the junk cars and picked a few that looked like they'd still be on the road today to see what I could do with them. I stripped them as best I could, repaired what was needed, then repainted them, no primer because I couldn't remove the windows from three of them. My big challenge was to find something to replace the undersized wheels. I found some gemstones in the Walmart craft dep't that had one flat size and was the right diameter for a 16" wheel. Removed the old wheels and glued them gem side in, then painted the wheels and undersides black. Repainted, added chrome touches and clear-coated. They're OK as long as you don't get too close.  Icon_e_biggrin  Have one that's just a bit off scale (around 1:140), but will work if I stick it someplace by itself. The rest of the junk pile aren't worth the effort and are destined to the junk yard as soon as I see where I can build one. Need to find a couple of Pit Bulls Icon_rolleyes

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Nice recovery with the replacement wheels, Don.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, I thought about turning the gemstones facing out to add some bling, but I don't think the local PD would go for that. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Looking good, Don.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Don,

you have made simply the best out of these junkers Applause 

Lutz
Thanks guys, these were truly "el cheapo" vehicles, very little detail and about as thin as tissue paper. Whoever painted them also used about a tube of glue on the ones I couldn't take apart. But I enjoyed making them reasonably useful. Got a new project to start now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Well done Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks again everyone, I tried, and that's all you can ask for. Success is in the eye of the beholder... Goldth  Now, here's a very interesting conversation that was overhead by that proverbial fly on the wall:

As Rolland Indough finished his morning coffee, he said, “time to open the bank, now where did I leave those keys?” His wife softly replied, “honey, there are no keys, you’ve been bringing a shoe box full of money down to Main Street and working off of a fold-up table for twenty years now, don’t you think it’s time to buy a real bank building?” Rolland thought for a few seconds and agreed, “there’s that old firehouse they took apart and it’s just laying in that Walther’s warehouse down by the railroad tracks, I bet I can get it for less than $20 and we can assemble it anyway we want”. He added, “Better call and buy it right now before they raise the price.” He was smiling ear to ear as he hopped in the yellow Porsche 210 sitting in his driveway. “Where the heck did this come from?”, he though, then he realized there was no steering wheel, no radio or even a motor in the thing, although it did have some real glitzy-looking wheels.... Icon_cool  “Hmm, wonder if I could trade one of those gemstone wheels for that old firehouse”, he thought, always looking at a way to save a buck. Icon_e_surprised

Well, after much negotiations, here’s a photo of the old fire station and what the plans are for turning it into a bank. Nothing is certain until we proceed and try to meet the town building code. No biggie there, in addition to being the only banker in town, Rolland is head of the town building committee. Waiting

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
I have had several HO versions of that firehouse over the years. I currently have a slightly damaged one and seeing your plans has given me some thoughts about repurposing it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(09-18-2021, 11:42 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thanks again everyone, I tried, and that's all you can ask for. Success is in the eye of the beholder... Goldth  Now, here's a very interesting conversation that was overhead by that proverbial fly on the wall:

As Rolland Indough finished his morning coffee, he said, “time to open the bank, now where did I leave those keys?” His wife softly replied, “honey, there are no keys, you’ve been bringing a shoe box full of money down to Main Street and working off of a fold-up table for twenty years now, don’t you think it’s time to buy a real bank building?” Rolland thought for a few seconds and agreed, “there’s that old firehouse they took apart and it’s just laying in that Walther’s warehouse down by the railroad tracks, I bet I can get it for less than $20 and we can assemble it anyway we want”. He added, “Better call and buy it right now before they raise the price.” He was smiling ear to ear as he hopped in the yellow Porsche 210 sitting in his driveway. “Where the heck did this come from?”, he though, then he realized there was no steering wheel, no radio or even a motor in the thing, although it did have some real glitzy-looking wheels.... Icon_cool  “Hmm, wonder if I could trade one of those gemstone wheels for that old firehouse”, he thought, always looking at a way to save a buck. Icon_e_surprised

Well, after much negotiations, here’s a photo of the old fire station and what the plans are for turning it into a bank. Nothing is certain until we proceed and try to meet the town building code. No biggie there, in addition to being the only banker in town, Rolland is head of the town building committee. Waiting
Absolutely genius. Be sure all deposits are insured buy the GERN deposit insurance agency where your funds are 3% safer.
Charlie
(09-18-2021, 02:54 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Absolutely genius. Be sure all deposits are insured buy the GERN deposit insurance agency where your funds are 3% safer.
Charlie

They are, and because of that, we can provide a 3% higher return rate.  Awesome

And yeah Tom, I've had this kit for a while, wondering what I was going to do with it since I already have a smaller fire station on Main St. I can see lots of former banks around town being used as other things (think: hamburger stand where they can lock up those expensive patties every night), but not the other way around, so we'll see how this goes.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Old German proverb and bankster wisdom: "Was ist schon das Ausrauben einer Bank gegenüber dem Eröffnen einer Bank."

My attempt to translate:
Robbing a bank is peanuts compared against establishing a bank institute.

Lutz
(09-19-2021, 03:33 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Old German proverb and bankster wisdom: "Was ist schon das Ausrauben einer Bank gegenüber dem Eröffnen einer Bank."

My attempt to translate:
Robbing a bank is peanuts compared against establishing a bank institute.

Lutz

That's our banker, Rolland Indough's, philosophy exactly. He wrote a book, "How to rob a bank without a gun". It made the best seller's list in the Bankers Weekly Digest newspaper. Icon_e_surprised
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and