2019 Anniversary support auction #1
2019 auction #1: N scale anniversary car----

Well folks, this is the kickoff to our tenth anniversary celebration. We opened as Big Blue Train Forums on December 17, 2008 and have kept our promise of no ads and no sponsors. This is one way to help get the much-needed funds to keep us going, but a way to give something back in return. We're opening an auction of a hand painted and detailed Big Blue Trains N scale decorated 40' boxcar. The car has been stripped, repainted in Big Blue colors, decorated in our Anniversary scheme and clear-coated. Along with the new Big Blue logo, it has the “10th Anniversary Special” lettering. Also, note that this car has a unique number that will not appear on any other Big Blue or BB&G rolling stock. We will leave any weathering to its new owner if they think it’s appropriate. This car, we hope, will become treasured and be a show of pride for your membership and support of the Big Blue Train Forums, even if you're not into N scale. The car features sliding doors, magnetic truck-mounted couplers and a weight of 1.1 oz, thanks to the load of steel as can be seen in the photos.

Please note, for you non-N scale modelers, we have a few surprises in store, but this is your chance to own a genuine Big Blue N scale treasure regardless of what scale you model in.

Now, let’s get started. We are offering N scale, 40’ boxcar #BBT 100501 to the highest bidder. Here are the bidding rules:
  1. There is no minimum bid and no reserve, the highest bidder at the time the auction closes will get the car.
  2. Please keep your bid raises in increments of at least fifty cents and preferably a dollar or more.
  3. You can bid publicly by posting it in this thread. This thread is for bidding only; any comments or questions should be made in this  thread or by PM to either ezdays or ngauger. Non-bid posts will be deleted from this thread or moved to the comments thread.
  4. If you want to enter an anonymous bid (just like the rich and famous do), you can PM either ezdays or ngauger and we will bid on your behalf, (we will post the bid amount, but keep your name confidential, just like at those big auction houses). You may also want to give us the maximum you would want to go and we’ll bid for you by adding one dollar above the last bid, up the maximum that you have set, again, just like Christie’s does for the big boys.
  5. The auction will run until June 15th, at which time we will announce the winner and ship the car to them.
  6. The successful bidder will pay all shipping costs. That cost is estimated to be under $5.00US.
  7. Payment can be by PayPal, check or MO. We will give the winner instructions on how and where to pay.

Remember, 100% of the proceeds from this auction is to help keep Big Blue running, so we are depending on you for your support and hope to give something back in return.

Good luck to you all.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I shall open the bid at $5.
------------------------------------
Creator of the comic Flatt Bear.
A comic about... well... a bear

Flatt Bear
Thank you for that opening bid, now we can't let this car go for that can we??? I've got $5.00, do I hear six, who will give me six???? I have five, looking for six, blah, blah, blah. (auction babble)..... Icon_cool
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Big Grin 
(05-18-2019, 10:16 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thank you for that opening bid, now we can't let this car go for that can we??? I've got $5.00, do I hear six, who will give me six???? I have five, looking for six, blah, blah, blah. (auction babble)..... Icon_cool

With the title saying 1019, 1000 years ago I will make a bid of 25.00 just to get in the park at a fair price for this 1010 year old freight car... Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
(05-18-2019, 12:36 PM)Charlie B Wrote: With the title saying 1019, 1000 years ago I will make a bid of 25.00 just to get in the park at a fair price for this 1010 year old freight car... Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
Thank you Charlie, I'm assuming that this is in 2019 dollars....

FYI, this is not the first typo that I made on this project. I fixed the other one, I'll fix this one too... Thanks for your bid, and thanks for pointing out the typo, some 960 years before the invention of the PC or the Internet.... Icon_redface Icon_redface
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, when you reach the "golden" years the keyboards tend to type what they want to, not what we enter.  My keyboard has decided to be an English man and drops a lot of letters  and also substitutes s for a all the time with numbers it is 0 and 9 that it finds confusing.  Wink
Charlie
(05-18-2019, 04:46 PM)Charlie B Wrote: Don, when you reach the "golden" years the keyboards tend to type what they want to, not what we enter.  My keyboard has decided to be an English man and drops a lot of letters  and also substitutes s for a all the time with numbers it is 0 and 9 that it finds confusing.  Wink
Charlie

I took typing in high school and in college, but I think my fingers paid more attention to the instructor than I did. (lots of girls in typing classes back then Awesome ). As a result, my fingers sometimes choose a key that defies what my mind wanted....It gets worse as we go along, must be the weather... 35 35

So folks, we have a bid of $25.00, who'll give me $30? I've got 25, I'm looking for 30, do I hear 30???? You in the back, was that a bid or were you just scratching your nose? Waiting Let's keep it going folks, 30, 30, whowillgiveme 30, looking for a new bid....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-20-2019, 05:16 PM)ezdays Wrote: ....I took typing in high school and in college, but I think my fingers paid more attention to the instructor than I did. (lots of girls in typing classes back then Awesome )......

I took that course in high school, too...what better reason could there be, eh?

Wayne
Still looking for some new bids, if you're waiting for the last few hours to sneak in a bid, I have a feeling you wait too long. Since there hasn't been much action, I think we're going to close this auction earlier than first thought. As of now, the bidding on this N scale collectable will close on Midnight PDT, June 5 rather than June 15. We really need some help here, so let's see some more bids..... Remember, whatever we get we put right back into keeping Big Blue going and I have to tell you, each year it become more expensive and we usually wind up with paying more and getting less....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Remember guys, when you submit a bid, you are simply saying that you like visiting our Big Blue Train Form and that you would like to make a donation. If you are the high bidder, you get a wonderful N Scale car to run or just display for your enjoyment.

Don & I appreciate anything you can do to help us keep this great forum going!
We've been going in one form or another for more than 18 years now and it's always been a great place to exchange information and learn more about the hobby.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
We're down to the last few days of this auction and we really haven't had much in spirited bidding. Don't wait too long, we're ending this auction on June 5, so if you plan on bidding, now is the time.... Waiting 

We keep saying, Mikey and I need your support to keep Big Blue going. We've been around a long time and we want to continue, maybe we're not keeping up with the times, but we are comfortable with how we've been all these years starting with the original "The Gauge" and going to our version of The Gauge and on to Big Blue. We've had many members and staff follow us, and we're grateful for that, we've also gotten support over the years through auctions like this,  plus donations and sales since we've been on our own, and for that we are also grateful. So please, help support Big Blue and bid. We thank you all for your past support and hope that this and a few more auctions to come will be enough to see us through for years to come. Regardless, you will never see ads or sponsors on these forums, that's a promise we made from the get-go.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Change the title of the thread to 2019 anniversary support auction. A lot of HO modelers won't read the thread because it says N in the notice...I know this because I almost passed on it too.  Then make sure it gets listed as a new post again.
Charlie
Charlie makes a good point, as modellers in scales other than N might slough it off as outside of their interests, whereas an anniversary car, in any scale, might be considered a desireable keepsake, even if only as a display item.

Wayne
Great point guys, the task is done, let's see if we attract more bids. This is indeed a keepsake, and a way to help support Big Blue while getting something in return.
2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Last chance everyone, this auction ends tomorrow night. I know there aren't that many N scalers here, but this is a chance to get a keepsake, a memento, a collector item or a treasured "one-off", that can only gain in value. It is your opportunity to help support Big Blue and get something back in return. Thee are other auctions coming up, but this will be the only N scale one that we will hold. The last time we did this, we had several different N scale auctions, and they all brought a good return and helped to keep Big Blue afloat. The current bid for this is $25, we need it to go higher please. Waiting

Don't lose out, we will stop taking bids at midnight tomorrow, PDT (that means midnight West Coast time)...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and