I remember this day
Not too many of us around that remember this day some 78 years ago. I do remember the president's address on the radio. I was too young to understand then, but I knew something serious happened. Even though, I will never forget that day and those to follow. Every day, the newspaper and the newsreels at the local theater told us of the wars going on in other parts of the world.

I was getting on an elevator the other day and a guy was getting off wearing a, "WWII veteran" hat. I wanted to thank him, but he was gone in a flash. Thanks to him and the thousands of others, we are free to have this venue to discuss trains, modeling and other things. We can travel freely without fear, we have enough to eat and we can work where we choose.

Remember those that gave their all for our freedom, and thank a vet if you have the chance.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Well said Don---I too will always remember the signifigance of this day
Saw a lot of Flags at Half-Mast today...  

Always Remember!!
Never Forget!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
My Dad fought in the Philippines during WWII and to the day he died he wouldn't buy anything made in Japan.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thank You, Don!

I'm ashamed to say I had forgotten, until I saw the Queen on TV this evening...

Anyway, making my remembrance now.

Cid
Cid
Very good thread Don Applause Applause Applause
NEVER FORGET
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thanks for remembering, we cannot and should not forget. It just happens that yesterday was the 75th anniversary of VE day, the day that Germany surrendered. It's just hard to believe that some can't realize how senseless wars are.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I agree wars are senseless. All of the WWII veterans in my family said it was no longer about saving the world from tyranny but, staying alive.

According to them the replacements was getting younger and the season replacements fewer.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
My dad was drafted in Jan. 1941 for 1 year. After Pearl Harbor he was extended for the duration. He went to Guadal Canal and caught malaria and was sent to New Zealand to recover. Went back to Guadal Canal with MacArthur's invasion to take it back. He was finally discharged in 1946. Said it was the longest year of his life! Virtually all of the guys he went out with didn't make it! Malaria probably saved his life! He passed in 2003 at the age of 84.
I talk about going to Brenda's Kitchen frequently for breakfast. She changes the decor frequently usually to match a holiday, season or event. I noticed the other morning she had a new theme and there was a new plaque just above my head reading:

WE ARE THE
HOME OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE
BRAVE

Thank you Russ for that story
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Every day of the year should be "Remembrance Day" because every single day of the year a hero is lost somewhere in the world trying to preserve "freedom".This week is especially signifigant in my hometown of Hamilton Ontario as 197 sons of the city were killed as members of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry that were killed during the raid on Dieppe France 8/19/1942.Every day I'm grateful for the supreme sacrifices of all fallen heroes.
My father was in the Medical Administrative Corp, (now Medical Service Corp) a hospital admin officer, and was part of the Third Wave, OMAHA Beach on June 6th '44 as the officer in charge of the quartering party for his field hospital which was supposed to land shortly thereafter and set up to receive casualties..  He was the only survivor of the group.

Within a year his hair turned completely white and stayed that way for the rest of his life.