HON3 Shay
Hello to all from Memphis! I'm looking at this on Ebay: 
HO/HOn3 ROUNDHOUSE 2 TRUCK SHAY KIT WITH STRAIGHT BOILER WOOD CAB WISEMAN MODELS. 
Has anyone attempted this kit? Maybe there are Youtubes regarding it. Just looking for opinions on feasability. 
I'm wanting to do HON3, not sure about the track/code yetAnd, is it doable to install DCC/Sound in this with an appropriate decoder?
And, is it doable to install DCC/Sound in this with an appropriate decoder?
I guess I'm really asking six questions, have not even researched it, just looking for ideas! 

Someone tell me I'm crazy...
Thanks!
Cid
Cid
depending how old it is the biggest worry is zinc rot not having one to look at i don't have a clue as to adding dcc.
Jim
(03-29-2024, 10:26 PM)jim currie Wrote: depending how old it is the biggest worry is zinc rot not having one to look at i don't have a clue as to adding dcc.
Jim

Thanks, Jim!
its advertised as new condition but im sure its at least as old as the last mfg Big Grin
Cid
(03-29-2024, 11:03 PM)cid Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 10:26 PM)jim currie Wrote: depending how old it is the biggest worry is zinc rot not having one to look at i don't have a clue as to adding dcc.
Jim

Thanks, Jim!
its advertised as new condition but im sure its at least as old as the last mfg Big Grin

I think he is putting them together with a spare parts lot he acquired. 

I have yet to encounter zinc rot in a MDC kit.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(04-02-2024, 05:14 PM)nachoman Wrote:
(03-29-2024, 11:03 PM)cid Wrote:
Jim

Thanks, Jim!

I think he is putting them together with a spare parts lot he acquired. 

I have yet to encounter zinc rot in a MDC kit.

a lot of early MDC kits were just reboxed round hose kits.
I have one on order, and got the book coming.  Now just need time... Icon_e_biggrin Icon_lol
Cid
I built a two truck MDC shay a few years ago. It was orginally an ho model and I found the parts online to convert it to HOn3. The only difference between the HO and HOn3 shays are some of the truck parts.
I regeared the drivetrain using NWSL kits, swaped in a can motor and changed the pick-ups on the trucks. I also modified the frame to accept kadee HOn3 couplers.
The real secret to building one of these and getting it to run right (besides tons of patience) is to bench test it after adding each new part to the drivetrain for at least 15 minues to check for binds in the drive.
I didn't convert it to DCC as it's used on a 5 foot switching layout and it was just easier to leave it DC. I think you might be able to squeeze a small decoder into the engine but a speaker would be a stretch. I should point out that even with regearing, the engine is still fairly noisy due to the large gear reduction in the drvetrain.
Hope this helps