Business Train
Business Trains.
UP has one, BNSF has one. CSX has one. NS has one.
Conrail HAD one.
The Central New England is getting one.

Someone from work gave me this old Athearn F7 shell. He just wanted the drive. I had a drive, with a chewed up shell.
The paint job on this was pretty bad. Lettering and color seperation was horrendous. At first I was going to improve the paint and replace the lettering with decals. Then I decided to make this the power for abusiness train.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Since I still had a Walthers "Dress-up kit" (Made specifically for the Athearn F7, F9) that I was going to use on my F7, before it became a chew toy, I was going to add those details, along with some from Details Associates, and Details West.

First, I scrapped off the plastic nub "lifting eyes".

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Removing the horns(I'm going to use only one), I then sanded smooth the mold lines using 600 grit sandpaper.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Next, I chiseled off the steam generator details, and sanded smooth the roof panel.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
After I took care of the steam generator panel, I moved my attention to the holes left over from the horns. Using Evergreen Styrene Plastic rod, I plugged the holes, using CA(super)glue. When that had set, I trimmed the nubs and sanded smooth.
A little foresight...I could of waited to sand the mold lines, when I did this step.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
For some strange forgtton reason, I had cut the front portion of the frame of the drive off(Actually I think I got it that way at a show), so I fashioned coupler doors from styrene sheet.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I then drilled the holes for the handrails, grabs and lifting eyes. After that I installed Deatil Associates eye bolts(#2206) in the roof panels. After that had set, I washed the shell in warm water and I'm letting sit over night.
I will add the grabs and handrails after I paint the shell. Though I did put one on the nose.

Next: Prep for paint

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Looking Good Ed. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Matt
I can smell a steam post ten blocks away and when I do clear the tracks because the steam express will be hi ballin through
http://cambriaindiana.weebly.com/
I'll be following this one Ed! Cool project!
Ralph
Lookin' good, Ed!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Come on! You've got to tell us your plans for the good part...the private varnish!

I believe that the president of the road demands an interior! Will the train be all platform cars...or a mix. A 10-6 sleeper would be in order for a non-vestibule car...for those lowly secretary and food prep types. I know that some 10-6s were used in the official trains for a few of the modern roads...with their stainless steel sheathing removed, of course.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
neat work Ed . what is the drive you have for it Hi Fi ? Icon_lol
Thanks guys.

Here,s the start of the "varnish"
An old IHC Heavyweight baggage car is being transformed into the generator/tool car.
I cut the one door out for the radiator for the generator.. I also blocked out the other side, and one door each on the opposite end.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Unfolding the instructions to get a number for the "Dress-up" kit, which by the way is 770201(Probably not available anymore since the Horizon take-over of Athearn), I noticed templates for the roof grabs.

Using that I drilled holes for the roof grabs, then installed them. Then re-washed for paint.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Thanks for sharing some of the varnish! Nice to see that you're bashing it too! Cheers
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->