Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Wayne

Thanks for the information!

I have a Paasche airbrush also. It is nothing fancy. I got it about 8 months ago and I am still getting used to it.

I bought an airbrush cleaning fluid that I use in the way you described. I am just concerned about it getting all the color out of the brush between color changes. This last time I used only black, so the color change did not matter. I was going to use a tan and grey, but I decided against it. The gray was for the building which is gray and the tan for the bases. I painted the bases tan with a brush. I figure once there are placed on the layout they will be covered with cinders, coal, ballast, weeds, etc., therefore it only needs to look like soil. The building I did not paint. Weathering will take care of what needs to be done to make it look better.

I am currently using craft paints thinned with a thinner for acrylics. It seems to be working. I have not seen a “new” bottle of Pollyscale or Floquil in a decade in these parts.

In addition, I must be careful with what I use with my wife’s asthma. All sealing and any rattle can painting is done outside only. Things can be moved to the garage for drying provided the exhaust fan is turned on for a time to prevent any smells from leaking into the kitchen (next to the garage) or my son’s bedroom (above the garage) and eventually finding my wife.

With the craft paints I can airbrush in a dedicated spot in the basement since I can provide a makeshift booth and some ventilation. Since the craft paints have either no smell or a very mild one my wife is okay with it.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery

Messages In This Thread
RE: Remaking of the Ridley Keystone & Mountain - by tompm - 03-09-2021, 10:20 PM