Finally, some updates at Dunnville...
I agree with Mike, that one building would take up about half my Normal-sized layout. Icon_e_biggrin Beautiful structures, all of them, the details are amazing. You set the bar high. Worship Worship Worship Worship
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks to all for your very kind words. 

For many of us, model railroading is a solo effort, and our satisfaction with what we create is our personal reward.  Positive input from others is a nice bonus.

Wayne
After some thought, it occurred to me that making the south end of the between-the-tracks platform useable only for LCL service and the north end of the platform for passengers only, was an inefficient way to use this real estate. 
To correct the situation, I built a second freight elevator-housing and a second stairwell structure, which will allow both platforms for passenger use, and also for mail and LCL shipments.

Of course, once I began building the duplicate structures, I got engrossed in the project and neglected to take pictures, although I did manage to get enough (I hope) to explain where this project is headed.

At the start of this, I had an idea about creating a roof over the platform, and after looking at some on-line photos, settled on a style, which I hope will resemble a butterfly-style roof, supported by centre columns.

I used Evergreen H-columns for the main vertical supports, and lengths of Evergreen channel stock, cemented together back-to-back, as the actual supports for the roof material.

Here's a simple temporary jig for cutting the cemented-together channel material all to the same length, and at a suitable angle to facilitate a butterfly-style roof...

...and another that ensures (hopefully) that all of the support columns are identical...

...along with the necessary components...

Here are a few completed examples...

Initially, I had cemented some cut-to-fit pieces of styrene into the base of the H-columns, with the intention of creating a larger gluing surface to attach the columns to the platform.  It then occurred to me that the butterfly roof would require drainage at its centre, and I decide that each column would be fitted with a base-plate of .010" sheet styrene, each plate also with a hole to accommodate the downspouts (1/16" styrene rod), and with corresponding holes drilled into the platform.  All of this should afford a somewhat sturdier attachment of the various components.

Here's the eavestrough (Evergreen channel-stock) cemented to the top of the H-columns...

...and a not-very-clear close-up of a column with a downspout cemented to one of its flat faces...

Here's things as they stand at the moment...

There's some more brush-painting to be done on the columns and downspouts before the roof material can be added, and I think that I may also cement the elevator buildings and stairwells to the platforms as the roof will extend partially over all of them.

More to come when it's time to install the roofs.

Wayne
Wow Wayne, that is going to be a magnificent structure.  You're able to plan ahead and make everything logical, where I have to go back and fix the obvious overlooked items. Attention to details...(remind me to tell you a story about that.)
Charlie
Your precision really annoys me Wayne Big Grin . Very nice modeling.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Nice!!!  Smile
Excellent job Wayne! Worship Worship Worship , cripes I love seeing your projects come together, very motivating Applause  Icon_e_biggrin .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Wayne your attention to detail is just amazing.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Thanks again for the kind words, guys, but there's lots that needs correcting, and I usually discover it later in the project.  My hope is that it looks decent once it's in-place, and that the screw-ups won't be too easily spotted by the viewing audience. Misngth 

Some of the corrections will be obvious, though, as the remedies will likely be easily identifiable as non-prototypical. I won't be too ashamed to explain what went wrong and why it was remedied in the manner I choose, either, as both I and anyone following this may benefit from the confessions.

Wayne
Thanks for posting this. I am following because it is something I have thought about but couldn't figure how to do it.  Looking forward to the confessions.  Icon_e_biggrin
Charlie
(07-24-2020, 05:47 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Your precision really annoys me Wayne Big Grin .  Very nice modeling.

Another annoying thing is how tidy his work area is. Worship Worship Mine always looks like the inside of the Kwik-K-Mart dumpster. Waiting 

Cannot find fault with anything Wayne does, excellent modeling, always, and super neat too..... Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wayne,

that platform canopy is looking very modern Thumbsup

Lutz
(07-26-2020, 05:40 AM)Schraddel Wrote: Wayne,

that platform canopy is looking very modern Thumbsup

Lutz

Thanks Lutz.  I was initially concerned that it would be too modern for the late '30s era of the layout, but a little on-line research showed that such platform covers had been around for some time.

(07-25-2020, 07:26 AM)ezdays Wrote: ....Another annoying thing is how tidy his work area is.

The only reason the area looks somewhat tidy is that the photo was taken in what was, at one time, the paint shop (which is now in a separate room in the garage, which is about a 100' behind the house - and not used as a garage).  I use this room mostly for soldering or working on largish structures, and for storing the paint and airbrush stuff.  

Here's a photo of the adjoining shop, where most of the building and repair work is usually done.  The "student desk" dates from pre-high school days, and, as you can see, explains why the earlier photo wasn't taken here...

...and from another angle...

Here's the two platforms with their roofs in place (.060" sheet styrene), and lined up in preparation for cementing them into a single unit...

...and here, with a substantial weight added to ensure a strong bond....

Next job will be painting the roof, top and underside, along with the trim at the eaves, plus any needed touch-ups and perhaps a little extra detail.

That work will be done atop the open drawers of the desk, as I can be seated there, and there's lots of adjustable light.

Wayne
(07-24-2020, 11:05 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: Thanks again for the kind words, guys, but there's lots that needs correcting, and I usually discover it later in the project.  My hope is that it looks decent once it's in-place, and that the screw-ups won't be too easily spotted by the viewing audience. Misngth 

Some of the corrections will be obvious, though, as the remedies will likely be easily identifiable as non-prototypical. I won't be too ashamed to explain what went wrong and why it was remedied in the manner I choose, either, as both I and anyone following this may benefit from the confessions.

Wayne

Now for the confessions....

The major item that needed correcting was the alignment of the platform roofs, partially due to the fact that the two tracks are somewhat farther apart at the south end than at the north end, so I fudged the south end of the south platform a little wider.
With the two temporarily installed on the layout (the blocks seen under the platforms, in the assembly photos in the previous post, "plug-in" to matching holes cut into the cork roadbed which was previously used under the removed crossover turnouts).  With the platforms in place, the roofs don't line-up straight, so I made the probably-not-prototypical supports for the free-ends of the platform roof using .060" sheet styrene, rather than Evergreen structural shapes of some sort. 
I wasn't initially planning on using any supports for those free-ends, but I started to worry that they might, over time, sag of their own accord.  When I noticed the misalignment, though, it seemed that a stronger remedy, no matter how unprototypical it might appear, would have to be used.
The greater gluing area allowed me to manually skew the roof into better alignment (also skewing the support columns, too, although they don't look too unusual, and that explains the use of a 3.5lb. machinist's block (and a bunch of clamps, not shown) to maintain the "skew" while the MEK cement set solid.

It didn't take me too long to accept that it doesn't, in my opinion, anyway, look all that bad, and it's certainly better than when the whole shebang was wonky.

It's yet to be seen if the finished product will pass muster with the viewing audience, as it's often easy for the builder to overlook his own mistakes....well, at least until it starts to gnaw at the conscience.

Wayne
Agree1  Taking Zwangsmaßnahmen (compulsory measures) just the same as i did with my stubborn resine car kits.

Lutz