Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating"
Managed to get some more done on the anchor building for my alley scene.

Today I banged off the dormers to go on the slope of the roof.  It took sometime and a couple of redo's but I managed to pull it off.

But first.  The unattractive underbelly of it all.  It's the parts that you don't see.  The copious amounts of glue, sloppy joints.  Yet somehow...

I again used a generous helping of creative license here.  I thought to start out I'd construct a dormer that had two windows. The windows in this one however didn't line up so well with the windows underneath.  yeah, my goal was/is to line up the windows with each other as you see in so many homes and buildings constructed in this manner.  So before it was too late I pulled it off and started over again.

So here is the new layout and above that is one I pulled off.  The second picture shows the three pieces that make up the dormer...two skinny sides that match the slope of the roof and the top cap.  The second attempt was not perfect, however it was good enough so I affixed it to the roof.

Out of all of this the most daunting was making the curves for the dormers that would go with the curved windows I picked that matched the second floor. Yet some how I managed.  Cutting the rounds requires as brand new sharp blade, patience and marking down accurate lines to follow on the piece. I'm still cutting by hand mind you, but those three things make the whole process easier to manage.  I do apologize for the lack of pics to document this process.

I'm not going to lie.  Adding these took some time to make.  But I'm glad I did make them.  They already help give the structure a finished look IMHO.  For the dormer for Rita's Diner I had to make sure I picked the right color and not just grab some of the green clapboard texture. Not that that really matters as eventually, I'll layer the siding on the dormer.  Another challenge I had was selecting a material for the curved bits over the two tavern dormers.  Eventually I discovered that 600 wet/dry sandpaper makes for the perfect covering.  So, I in a sense applied tarpaper over these areas.  Which if you look closely has been affixed in the next photo. I intend to paint the exposed edges and surfaces as well as add some 1x4 white trim pieces to help tie things together with the whole biilding.  Oh...making those curved 1x4 white trim pieces to go under the eave (soffit?) of the dormers...what fun.

Finally, one last gratuitous on the layout shot.  I really like how this is progressing so far.  I may still tackle a few things after dinner but for now thats all.  

Take care everyone.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Building Paper Card Stock Alley...with some "cheating" - by tetters - 10-29-2020, 04:20 PM