Carl ARENDT Mine Company
I just finished my previous layout Lucky Luke.  I want to continue with another project at on 30 scale called Carl ARENDT Mine Company. 10 years ago I started a layout at on30 scale but I never finished it. So I will do it differently this time.
It's called Carl ARENDT, because Carl ARENDT was a remarkable man that I appreciated a lot. The second reason is that I add a specific constraint typical of  Carl ARENDT’s spirit. My layout will have only 10 cm deep (4 inches). The reason of this constraint was inspired me by a discussion with my friends Erwan Josset and François Fontana (editor-in-chief of a narrow gauge magazine) that proposes as a challenge to create a layout of 10 cm deep. I doodle a lot of and I find one solution by creating a cross-section of a mining network. There are also two advantages of this size: a quick realization and also it could easily store in my flat during the building.
I chose to do this at on30 for the atmosphere because if I do it at hoe scale it will be too small. It will be an US mine.

[Image: 50637646028_14e6d767da_b.jpg]1 by franck combe, sur Flickr

This is the blue print (overall dimension 120 cm by  60 cm by 10 cm  (130 inches  by  24 inches by 4 inches) 

[Image: 50637646023_35b4fc6282_b.jpg]2 by franck combe, sur Flickr

And please find 2 photos that will inspire the layout. These photos doesn’t belonging to me but I'm not able to find the owner, so if you are the owner of these photos please contact me.

[Image: 50637646068_a963390c41_c.jpg]3 by franck combe, sur Flickr

[Image: 50638478042_4dde27dc44_c.jpg]4 by franck combe, sur Flickr
Very clever idea, Franck. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
When I was very young, the Ontario Government had a display at the CNE that was a cross-section of a ball bearing mine (that's what was loaded into the trams and unloaded again). That disappeared at the end of the 1960s. It had a number of levels with trains going back and forth.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.