The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Greetings, gang.

Bright sunshine this morning and the upper 70s by this afternoon. Currently 55. 90 by the weekend.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. Rode the bike for 14 miles. Then later I rode it out to Menards for a total of 20 miles. Nothing planned for today other than another bike ride.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning all, today we were suppose to go target shooting, but the guy I was going with canceled for the fourth time in the past two months. A pity since this might be the last cool day until September. I guess I could go alone, but that's a bit risky going out that far, although we can still get cell phone service where we shoot, there's safety in numbers.

Not much else going on here, don't have much planned now, a chance to get a few things done on my layout. The fire up in Bagdad is just about out, it looks like a war zone.  Bagdad is a small mining town with around 2000 people and so they've lost a considerable portion of their town to this fire, about 20 structures, most of which were homes and determined to be human caused.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
73 and sunny. 5 1/2 hours sleep. Then wide awake. Got up and turned on TV and coffee pot. Went back to bed at 9 AM, Had Alexa play rain sounds as outside street was noisy. Snorted some. Back up now.

Today's agenda. Water. Slight chance of rain tomorrow late. A lot better chances Thursday and Friday. Then some chances through Monday.

Think I will feel better after I shave and shower.

Later
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
Good morning 
         Had a great day yesterday. I got the weed eating done for a while and tilled a patch to plant more cucumbers. I plan on making mustard pickles this year and I want to be sure I have enough for the whole family because we all like them. 
          My daughter came down and we finished organizing my under lay out storage and I got rid of 6 boxes of larger gauge trains and trains that my boys had stored here were returned. Now when I start the under-table wiring there won't be so much to move. 
          It looks like rain today so I may get a break. 
           Don, I bet I know the story of how Bagdad got it's name. See if I am right:

Many years ago the fathers and sons would work the mine together and the sons got the job filling the bags with what ever. When the bag was full they would then say "Give me another bag dad" and that is how the name came about.  That's why there is no H in Bagdad. Wink

Charlie
(06-01-2021, 07:49 AM)Charlie B Wrote:            ...Don, I bet I know the story of how Bagdad got it's name. See if I am right:

Many years ago the fathers and sons would work the mine together and the sons got the job filling the bags with what ever. When the bag was full they would then say "Give me another bag dad" and that is how the name came about.  That's why there is no H in Bagdad. Wink

Charlie

Could very well be Charlie, we can go with that since there's no record saying otherwise, Waiting but that really would be a hard way to mine anything. Glad they didn't call it, "Sackdad". Icon_lol  

On that same note, there's a town here in Arizona called. "Show Low". It got it's name after someone won it in a poker game of Low Ball. There was a dispute about who owned the town and they agreed to decide by playing a hand of poker. He turned over his cards and said, "show low", won the game and the loser had to leave town, never to return. Now, unlike your story, this one can be verified as true. Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Video 
[quote="ezdays" pid='163068' dateline='1622563425']
[quote="Charlie B" pid='163066' dateline='1622555396']
           ...Don, I bet I know the story of how Bagdad got it's name. See if I am right:

Don, Our railroad ran to Bagdad, Pennsylvania, (again no H) About a minute into this video the host explains it. It's video about the railroad I ran.  (a little over 2 minutes. ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZkiIbRtiG4
Charlie
Good afternoon folks

It is afternoon already. Where did the morning go? I will tell you I have been on the phone trying to get my wife an endodontist appointment, an appointment with her cardiologist, and straighten out her diabetic supplies order. The wrong stuff got sent. After nearly three hours on the phone the appointment with the cardiologist is made, the correct diabetic supplies should be shipped later today. The endodontist is still up in the air. I have left messages or have been told there are no appointments until July. This is great since she has an infected tooth. I did get two appointments scheduled and I will let her choose but they are both in two weeks. Big problem is trying to schedule around her work schedule since she has no time left since her work made her use all her leave time when the school reopened and her doctors would not authorize her to go to work in person until she was fully vaccinated. They recommended she continue working virtual since her student was also remaining virtual. School said no she had to come into the building so she could use her computer to work with him just like she had been doing at home since September. Her only option to keep her job was go on Family Leave and use up all her time.

It is 72 and sunny. Going up to 75.

I need to go to the produce store, the grocery store, the pharmacy, the meat market, and PetSmart. Since I have been glued to the phone all morning, I am not sure what if any trips are going to get done.

With the rain this weekend we got a few inside things done. We touched up some paint on the walls. Straightened up a few messes. We did relax some on Saturday to help recover from out one night trip to Ocean City, MD. Sunday we took my daughter to get a new desktop computer. Some of the things she needs to do she cannot do on her laptop. We also went to Target where my wife ventured into the store to look around for the first time in over a year.

Modeling I installed the inclines at the edge of the Water Tower Diorama. This stopped the uncoupling and derailing. I ran trains for some time. I had a coupling problem with my Erie Built A and B units. Discovered the Proto coupler on the B unit was busted. I replaced it with a Kadee #5. Just like the rear coupler box did when I replaced the coupler the clip on the box broke. Got out the drill, the tap, and screw and redid the box.

Saturday was a special day. My wife, daughter, and I rode the Strasburg Railroad’s Wine and Cheese Train. The train was pulled by Norfolk and Western #611. I have not personally seen 611 since the 1987 NRHS Convention in Roanoke when she ran with the A #1218.

[Image: LGJbJGP.jpg]

[Image: JuRKjNn.jpg]
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Good photos TomPM.  I have a Lionel Legacy one of those with operating aux. tender.  Had my buddy that use to work for Lionel put a Legacy control board in it.  Give it a engine number, build a lashup and it works.  Backup lights and couplers. He did an aux. tender for my Y6B just like it.   

79 and sunny.  Watering.  Took a chow break.
TCA 05-58541   American Legion  NRA  Retired Mayor of Rolesville NC
(06-01-2021, 10:23 AM)Charlie B Wrote:            ...Don, I bet I know the story of how Bagdad got it's name. See if I am right:

Don, Our railroad ran to Bagdad, Pennsylvania, (again no H) About a minute into this video the host explains it. It's video about the railroad I ran.  (a little over 2 minutes. ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZkiIbRtiG4
Charlie

Charlie, that is soooo cooool. I had no idea. That had to be work, but fun. As far as the explanation, the host seemed to be a bit embarrassed even repeating it. Icon_redface Regardless, it surely could be feasible to mine coal and put it in bags, kind of a waste of energy for mining copper though. Still, we cannot dispute the truth of a TV news host, can we? Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don it took them 8 hours to film that little sequence and we had so much fun doing it I don't think they wanted to leave
Greetings, gang.

Lots of sunshine outside my window this morning.  55 at the moment headed for 81 this afternoon.

No wind yesterday so I pushed hard and did my 12.6 miles in 54 minutes and 7 seconds with an average speed of 14.0 miles per hour.  That's good enough for now.  I probably won't keep track of it anymore until late summer or early fall.  Also got a text yesterday afternoon about  ball game.  Fun time.  Great-grandson even got a double.  This morning I'll head to Walmart for a few supplies.  After that it's bill paying time.  Expensive this month with car license and insurance at the same time.  Then a trip to the gym to relieve the stress of paying the bills.  This evening is another ball game at 5:30.

I renewed my subscription to MR yesterday.  The last page before I confirmed that I wanted to renew had the following:

The number of issues in an annual term is subject to change at any time, but the amount of time remaining on your subscription will not be altered. 

Sounds to me like they are getting ready to go to 6 or 8 magazines per year.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning folks

It is 61 heading to 74.

Did not finish all my errands yesterday. I only made it to the pharmacy and PetSmart.

I did get to work on the PRR Pullman coach. I replaced the plastic couplers with Kadees. As recommended in the instructions I removed a portion of the center sill to allow the trucks to move better on 24-inch curves.

All goes well I have another Pullman coach to work on today.

Later this morning I must take the dog to the vets. He is going to get shaved and get his shots. Since he has become more sensitive about grooming since he became blind they will have to knock him out. After that I will try to hit the grocery store, meat market, and produce store. I also need to go to the post office and the UPS Store. I should try to hit Target and/or Walmart to find storage bins we need for some clothing.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Good morning all, if you haven't seen it before, take a look at Charlie's clip, you have to envy him in a way.

Temps still holding a bit over 100, 106 is the highest forecast. I heard the weather lady on TV say something about rain Tomorrow and Friday, but no one else seems to agree.

Our gas prices are all over the map, the Costco about 10 miles south of me is low at $2.79, the Chevron station down the street is at $3.29. Most are in the $3.05 to $3.15 range.

Getting tired of everyone wanting you to take a survey on, "how did we do?" Got an X-ray last week, got a survey two days later. Visit a doctor, get a survey, buy something, same thing. Had a CAT scan not too long ago, and they asked, "would you recommend us to your family or friends", and I said "no". I got a phone call, and I explained, as I did on the survey, that it wasn't my position to recommend medical services, that's what doctors do.  Get them from Home Depot wanting me to post pictures of how I used what I bought, same goes for Harbor Freight. When I sent Home Depot my review on a sheet of insulation board I bought, they rejected it. I guess I got a bit too snarky. Waiting The thing is, most of these, "surveys" are identical, meaning that one company is raking it in by convincing everyone that they need feedback. A few are now giving you the option to opt out of future surveys, and I do just that.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning 
         1:30 doctor appointment, just a quick check to see how the new medicine is working (great). 

Don,  I got a survey from my bank because we actually were in a town that had a branch that they hadn't closed yet and used it. They asked how the teller did and I gave her a 10, they then went on and I gave zeros to everything else. They wanted to know why I would not recommend them to a friend so I flat out told them I would not recommend their bank because I have to drive 10 miles to see a person if the ATM won't handle my transaction. I also told them I would switch to a bank that has a branch in town if it wasn't so much of a pain to switch. 

I look for gas to continue to go up, and suspending leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge will give them another excuse to raise prices.  Tom, I fully understand the problems with a blind dog. When Beck when diabetic he lost his sight in 3 days and as hard as we worked we could never get him to where he had a good quality of life. The disease just kept getting more and more out of control and he finally refused to eat. We really miss him.   Wishing a great day for everyone.Charlie
Hi Charlie---just watched the video of the Kiski RR---a great reminder of a memorable time in your's and Mary's life.