The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #IX.. Stop In!!!
Good morning folks

It is a less humid 76 and is supposed to head up to 85 with more storms later in the day. We had a good soaking starting yesterday afternoon. Some areas particularly Chester County and along the Brandywine Creek picked up over 4 inches of rain. Lots of flooding and the Brandywine is well over flood stage.

I got the fishpond filter cleaned just before the storms came. I could hear the thunder rumbling for about 40 minutes prior to the storm hitting. I made my pharmacy run before I tackled the fishpond.

I worked on the engine terminal yard. This configuration is the one I like the best. There are still some adjustments that need to be made. Biggest problem is shortage of switches. I will run down to Delaware and the hobby shop to see what they have. I do need to get 4% inclines for the coal tower unloading area.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Tom:
I managed to make some inclines out of extruded polyplastic insulation board. For HO I used 2" thick. Cut a sliver off the end.
I marked it out with some pieces of stripwood (1/8 x 1) with little holes drilled in them. Put plastic on side and mark the bit to be cut. Pin the stripwood along the line -- check the grain so that it goes the same way both sides. Get the Woodland Scenics hot wire tool and drag it along the stripwood. Drag it so that it doesn't cut into the grain of the wood.
You may have to cut in short pieces -- 12" or 18" depending on the wood you get. Have a bit over the edge.
Oh, don't let the pins get into the line you're cutting.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Greetings, gang.

70 already headed for 95 later. Hottest day so far in this heat wave.

Tuesday night when I came back from the ballgame I noticed gas had dropped to $2.69 at some stations. Yesterday morning I noticed it was back up to $2.73. By the time I got around in the afternoon gas had jumped to $2.94. Just ridiculous! Otherwise a quiet day yesterday. Gym and bike ride were routine. Started loading the car. Looks like it will all fit. Today will be last minute chores like laundry and mowing. This evening is beer and bereavement with the couple from Nevada back in town. Lots to catch up on.

I'll be leaving here tomorrow afternoon for my granddaughter in Omaha. I'll leave from there Saturday morning for Houston. Be gone about a week. Participation here may be spotty.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning everyone, temps about to ramp up. Today and tomorrow should be around average, but we are suppose to be over the 115 mark by Tuesday. "Excessive heat warning" is already in affect. No panic, it's a typical June in the Sonoran Desert.

Nothing on the agenda today, I think I might get a bit done on my layout. Need to do some ballasting, don't ever look forward to that, so I do that as I go along.

The wildfires are growing to the east of us. One, (the Telegraph fire)  should be around 90,000 acres by now, the other big one, (the Mescal fire) close to 70,000. They have evacuation orders for anyone living close to US60. There are 750 firefighters at the Telegraph fire, just to give you and idea how big they are, prayers for them all.

Tom, have a fun and safe trip.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Hello Blue
Sun and 80s for the day.
Average gas price around here is $3.09.
I guess everyone is enjoying the summer weather as even the club members have been silent.
My wife got her 2nd virus shot yesterday and she's not feeling well at all. Had a bad night of sweats.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
We have appointments for the 2nd shot on Saturday. We checked in at the drigstore on Monday and had a phone call today. Asked at a couple of other places but didn't get anything more encouraging.

Don: our news has not been covering your fires. Or else we get frustrated after the first 30 minutes of Covid and go elsewhere.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Greetings, gang.

74 already. Headed for 90 with chances for rain.

Pretty quiet day yesterday. The car is loaded and ready except for last minute items such as snacks. Get together last night was fun. Lots of laughter and abuse. One lady brought along her step-father. Seems like a nice guy and a welcome addition to the group. This morning is last minute stuff. Leaving here around noonish. Be back a week from Monday.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning folks

It is a dreary 64 this morning. High will be 67 with an 80% chance of showers.

I did not make here yesterday. I had to take the wife’s car to the dealer to address a recall which meant I had to drop her off at work. The dealer was fast and took only about an hour. Afterwards I visited a local hobby shop. There I found a unicorn, the new Atlas code 100 #6 turnouts. I basically bought the guy out of them. On the way home I stopped at the pharmacy.

Once I was home, I spent the next hour or so on the phone with a health care system over a bill my wife received for a surgical procedure. The problem is she did have a procedure done on the day of service and we have no clue who the doctor is. After going through our records and comparing them to the billing records nothing matched. The billing office is turning the matter over to their investigators.

When I was done that, it was time to go pick the wife up. We got home rested and then it was out the door to get a haircut.

I did get downstairs and remove all the Peco turnouts. I am not thrilled with them as I stated in another post. I find them difficult to connect track into due to the configurations of the ties on the turnout. I have to remove ties on the connecting piece. I encountered shorting issues with them when I ran DCC. I still have not figured out why because the turnout would be fine and then it would short and then be fine again. I have had so many recent frustrations with the layout I need something simple not something I have to constantly nurse and tweak. I am now considering dropping the double track mainline to a single with a passing siding or two. This will give me more room for scenery and present some operational challenges.

Today I need to run to PetSmart and the pharmacy. The one I stopped at yesterday was out of the allergy spray I use.

Tonight, I hope to work on the layout.

Tom, have a fun and safe trip.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Good afternoon all, just taking a few days off. No gigantic change, just scrapped any plans and routines and am going with the flow, it's too hot out to do anything that requires energy anyway Goldth .

Got a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight this morning, I remember when you could find them everywhere and were good for anything they sold. This one had a bunch of fine print, so I took out a magnifier and it had a few exceptions. Well, it had a lot of exceptions, most major products and a long list of brands that it didn't apply on. That included all of the Harbor Freight brands making the coupon just about worthless. Hah, back to the pre-pandemic days of yore.

Three major fires here now, the two to the east of us have burned a combined total of close to 170,000 acres, but are each about 40-50% contained. The one north of Flagstaff has burned about 6,500 acres and is less than 20% contained.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Blue
Sun and 85 today. Little popup storms here and there.
Now that both of us have had shots I am looking forward to going out to eat again.
Plants we bought for the garden are growing nicely but it seems all to soon we are pulling them out for winter.
No train news.
S.J.
Good morning all, what about those lazy, hazy days of summer, we are now in the 110 zone, neither lazy or hazy, just plain hot. Wanted to grill something yesterday, the grill was too hot to touch, and that was before I turned it on. Eek Gunna get worse, anywhere from 112 to 117 through to this time next week. We have a couple of days in the 90's, but then, that's the low for those days. Icon_rolleyes

Nothing important going on, spend a few minutes on my layout, then sit down and wait for the glue or paint to dry, sometimes that can take hours and hours. Waiting Well, maybe it is going to be at least a lazy day.

We haven't heard from Frank for a few days, I hope he's doing OK.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Good morning folks

It is a dreary 68 heading up to 78. We are expecting storms throughout the day, the worst being around dinner time.

This weekend we replanted the window boxes. The pansies were at their end. Also replanted the other pots around the yard that had pansies. Weeded the front gardens. Drove down to Delaware to get gas. Prices in Delaware are 20 to 30 cents cheaper than in Pennsylvania. On Thursday I paid $2.88 to fill up the wife’s car. On Saturday it was $2.98 for my car. My daughter drove down on Sunday and paid $2.95. In Pennsylvania the cheapest we saw was $3.07.

I ran some trains on Friday night. I never did get back downstairs the rest of the weekend. I was basically too sore from the outdoor work.

Today I need to make a grocery store and pharmacy run. I will take care of some inside chores and it I can get to before it rains clean the fishpond filter. I hope to get to the trains and change out some couplers and continue fiddling with the engine terminal yard.

Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
Good morning everyone, "very hot, with sunshine". says the weather report for today. That explains it all, we now know where the "hot" comes from. We are in record-breaking territory, some forecasts show 119 for Friday.

Speaking of hot, we have yet another  wildfire, this one up in Cornville. Our family is scheduled to be in Cottonwood next week, just about eight miles from Cornville. There are evacuation orders and evacuation centers are in Cottonwood, so it looks serious. They had to stop fighting one fire yesterday because some yoohoo put a drone in their way. I would suggest that any drone that is found in any fire zone should be fair game for target practice by the USAF, or anyone in range. 

Nothing else going on, gas holding steady at $3.05, all other things rising with inflation. I could not afford to buy the house that I'm in now, so I could make a sizable profit selling it, but then I'd spend that on another house, so there's no gain. My son said that he heard that some builders are holding lotteries again for houses yet to be built.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hello Blue
Sun and 75 today.

I just received word that Da Chief, Frank Eagles is in the hospital with pneumonia. The poster said he was ill but being well cared for.
S.J.
(06-14-2021, 09:43 AM)sir james Wrote: Hello Blue
Sun and 75 today.

I just received word that Da Chief, Frank Eagles is in the hospital with pneumonia. The poster said he was ill but being well cared for.
S.J.

Thank you SJ for posting this. There is concern given his other health issues. He is in our prayers.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and