Jumping to DCC and Need Help with Everything
I agree with the advise from Lutz. As for a good reliable system NCE seems to be very good but make sure you get one that will take a booster. 
I use an MRC prodigy squared and I love it and I would recommend the new Elite system they have but the company was sold recently and I am waiting to see how the new owners handle repairs. EDIT HERE (I just got my booster back and they did a great job so I can now reccommend MRC) (every system will need a repair sooner or later). I have 4 wired throttles, 2 wireless throttles and a wifi adapter that allows me to run trains with a smart phone (cheap smart phones can be had for 29 bucks because you don't have to have a sim in them to use the wifi) (most google system phones can run the ap. A program track is a real must too. Programing on the main works well, just be sure you are sending the information to the right address. 

You will need to set up power districts to prevent the whole layout shutting down. These are districts that are isolated on both rails and protected by circuit breakers.  I used an 1156 bulb in series with one track lead as a breaker for years. they limit the current and light when there is a short. I recently bought a breaker called voltscooters which are very reasonably priced and can be set to 4 different amperages depending on your needs. (and with the 8 amp booster they preformed great) 

It is all very simple and nothing special needs to be done with wiring to begin, just install the track leads from the dcc unit where your analog dc is attached. 

Remember to ask questions here first if you need help. Woodone is waiting for you. 
Charlie

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jumping to DCC and Need Help with Everything - by Charlie B - 12-31-2020, 09:18 AM