Interaction Hobbies CPR Portable station
Taking a break from layout building, I've decided to build the new station for my small town of Blackwater. I got this small Portable station kit from Darryl at Interaction hobbies.

It's a very nice little kit. At the same time I also got the optional detailing kit:

The detail kit comes with the interior parts like the furniture, wainscoting, benches, and a basic lighting kit.

The kit is separated into bags for the laser cut parts and the stripwood that will later be used for both some interior detailing and the station platform.

The detailing kit is packages pretty much the same way. 

I started painting the interior walls and parts this afternoon.

The instructions come with paint color suggestions, mostly from Valejo. but I've been painting my RR structures with for different acrylics for a more 'family' look so I've stuck with those. The interior walls are painted with Americana Yellow Ochre and the wainscoting, doors, and interior trim is done in Ceramcoat Barn Red. The exterior will also be done in this color. I perfer to brush paint the interior so it gets a subtle shading and weathering.
Looks like a neat little station, Glen.  I assume that's a laser-cut structure.  Are the components wood or cardstock?

Wayne
Hi Wayne. It is a laser-cut kit but the contents are a mixture of laser cut basswood, very thin birch plywood and resin impregnated board. the birch and RIB are used for very thin components like the window frames and the wainscoting.
I made some good progress on the model today, starting with one of the interior walls. but first I had to build one of the little gems in the kit, the regulator clock:

The clock is made of three parts. I painted the clock face and the pendulum, then I used a micron pen to paint the dial features.

Then I glued them together and used a brown sharpie to touch up the sides.

The wall went together by layering a number of wall components together so you get the wainscoting and chair rub bar, as well as the door frame attached to the wall. This is the interior wall that separates the waiting room from the stationmaster's quarters.

Before I can go any further, I decided to paint the exterior walls. I started with staining the basswood walls with some A&I as a base.

Then I painted the Barn Red over top. I didn't paint completely over, but used a semi dry-brush technique to show the weathered wood underneath. I did paint  the front a bit more through though, since that would be the most noticeable to railway customers. 
I also painted the window frames and exterior door frames since I'll be assembling them next.
I like that kit, the details are great and I like how you're doing it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
look good so far i always use to use a brush when painting wood (though i haven't used wood for a long time but still use brush on plastic ) as you said it produces a subtle shading  that looks better to me .
Jim
Thanks everyone. I completed the front wall this evening. 

It took an evening or two to build the front wall. There is quite a bit of layering to achieve the right look, especially in the interior:

I finished off all the walls this weekend.

Since there is an interior, the building process takes a bit more time, but the end result will be worth it.

I still have to add the chair rail above the wainscoting but other than that the walls are almost ready to be assembled.

I also built the interior ticket wicket wall:

It's made of a number of parts, again layered on top of each other to make the 3 dimensional result. I decided to paint this wall with burnt sienna for a bit of contrast in the interior. 

The window is a laser cut piece complete with speaking holes and a ticket slot in the bottom.
I got quite a bit done over the past week, starting with putting some walls up:

The back and side walls are glued in place, the ticket wall was temporarily set in so I could square up the rear wall. I had to trim the chair rail around the ticket wall, something that has to be done with the front wall as well. The floor is a piece of laser-cut basswood that I stained with Flo-stain pine.

There were a number of things to do before installing the front wall. The first was to add the chair rail that had to be trimmed to fit around the window frames.

Then the desk had to be built and installed, starting with the two pedestals

Again that's a dime for scale.

And the finished desk.  There are 17 parts to the desk, and it still needs the chair. The desk is the same width as the station interior so it has to be added before the front wall goes in, otherwise it wonts clear the chair rails around the walls.

Then I turned my attention to the doors and the door knobs. The door knobs are 3-d printed parts and extremely fragile. I painted them brass while still on the carry sheet and then removed them.

I glued the doors on and then the door knobs. I really like how the screen door looks.
I added the front wall but first glued in the desk and the two interior walls.

And finally, the front wall.

Next is the interior furniture and fittings.
I got quite a bit more done today, starting with the furniture:

Included is a desk chair, a dresser, bedside table, and two benches. They all take a steady hand, tweezers and patience to assemble. 

The two benches are easier to assemble that they might seem. The 'slats' are actually one piece that are laser engraved and cut to look like individual pieces. The lay onto the framework and bend easily around the seat and back of the bench.

I also started on the roof, assembling all the rafters into the ceiling plate.

After that I glued the ridge panel in. The roof is built very sturdy because it's designed to be removed so you will be able to see the interior when it's done.
I've almost completed the station in the past week, starting with the interior:

I painted and added the 3-d printed stove, typewriter and telegraph equipment. The telegraph parts were very fragile and I broke them a bit but it's not very noticeable. I also installed the furniture and bed in the bedroom. The mattress for the bed comes as a laser-cut wood part. I made the blanket using some double-ply tissue and glued it to the mattress. I then painting it with an off-white  and airbrushed the stripes to make it into a Hudson's Bay Blanket. (What could be more Canadian than that?)

I then used some photo-reduced copies of magazines and papers to populate the waiting room and office space. I'll probably add some figures in later.

I also finished off the roof. I sheeted the top and added the fascia boards to the ends

Then I added the shingles. I used Scotch double-sided tape to stick them down. 

It takes a bit of finesse to get the shingles around the chimney, but they look pretty good when completed. I used some weathering powder around the chimney. 

And then I installed the roof. The roof is designed to be removable so it's a friction fit with the rafters fitting into the slots on the top of the walls. I did have to trim some of the slots to get a proper fit but it went together fairly easy. It was at this time that the instructions tell you to add the kit's LED lighting but I have a different plan so I'll do that later when some parts show up.

That looks like a very well-thought-out kit, Glen, and you've done a great job assembling it. 

Now all you need is an outhouse for the agent (and for passengers, too, if the train is running a little late).

Wayne
Thanks Wayne, and I do have an outhouse for the scene as well

I pretty much finished off the project. All I needed to do was to build the front platform.

The kit comes with some stripwood and a template for it. I pinned it to a small piece of foam with some wax paper over it.

Then I pinned and assembled the platform on top of it. I stained the wood with Micro-Mark's Brown weather-it stain.

and then it was done. 

I placed it on the layout where it will eventually go. I haven't done any real scenery in this area yet but you get the idea. I am thinking of shortening the width of the platform to 2/3 of it's size as it seems a bit wide for the area I've chosen.

I do have the lighting kit coming yet. I'll update this thread when that arrives.
good looking building , is it a flag stop ? for shingles i highly recommend B.E.T.S. stick on ones .
Jim
I am impressed with all the details and how well you did them all.. Nice model, nice job. Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD