MR
(04-18-2021, 07:48 AM)ezdays Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 03:41 PM)Mountain Man Wrote: Same here.  All of the LHS outfits in Colorado have closed.  Even the vaunted Caboose no longer advertises and is no longer a store worth going to.

I see (in the back section of the latest MR) where there is a local train swap meet in May. "Strict social distancing rules enforced". It's been years since I went to a swap meet, maybe, just maybe it might be worthwhile. What happens if MR goes digital, well, I used to be able to go over to "trains.com" and find out what the swap meet schedules are locally. I haven't done that in a long time, so I'm not sure you still can do it for free.

As far as brick and mortar stores, there's one in Apache Junction, about 75 miles from my house, and Jim Currie says there's one in Tucson, over 150 miles away. Is it worth the risk of time and expense driving there to find out they are "plumb out of (you name it), but can order anything you want"?

I think I'll give that swap meet a try, it's a heck of a lot closer and the $5 entrance fee helps support the hobby. If nothing else, I get to chat with a few folks that have the same interest that I do in railroading.

It's been several years since I saw anything about  swap meet in Colorado.  There is a railroad club somewhere in Pueblo...I think...but they never advertise anywhere nor post any meetings or invitations.  Again, it's been a few years since I last saw any sign of activity.

Kind of like returning to Lonesome Dove.   Sad
"Is it worth the risk of time and expense driving there to find out they are "plumb out of (you name it), but can order anything you want"? "

You could call first and ask about what they have.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(04-19-2021, 06:03 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: "Is it worth the risk of time and expense driving there to find out they are "plumb out of (you name it), but can order anything you want"? "

You could call first and ask about what they have.

That would work if I knew what I specifically wanted. But when you go there hoping to see something you'd like to buy and they have nothing, that's a letdown.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Many of the online magazines are having problems with advertisers too, since advertisers prefer the "targeted ads" on things like Facebook and Google.
Just got an "invitation" to join "Trains.com unlimited". The email heading says "unlock for free", however, the body says, "30-day free trial". All sorts of things that come with membership including viewing all issues of all Kalmbach magazines, videos, Q&A with editors, a T-shirt and much more. Lot's there that I don't care about, but curiosity led me to click on the link. All this for only $83.88, billed annually. Good deal or not, I'll pass, I spend way too much time in front of my computer as it is now.

Years ago, there was this show on DYI TV that was dedicated to model railroading and had some neat tips. I recorded all the episodes on tape, but never played them back. I haven't a clue where the tapes are now, probably ten feet beneath the local landfill back when we decided to downsize.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
The few stores left out of the 6 that were within 10 miles of me all stock the "fast selling" items. Hardly any G scale.
They seem to have a good selection of all the other scales. N through O.

You can find almost anything on the internet and that's what is hurting them. No overhead online. So most everything is cheaper than in the brick & mortar stores.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???