Technology: How Much Is Too Much?
MM,

I signed up to be able to digitally view Model Railroader's archives.  I would rather pay for that than to read a current issue.  I like reading the issues from the 1940s-1960s, because they are exactly what you describe - people making do with stuff they have before there were so many items on the market.  Nobody talks about how Athearn's GP9 had a hood that was too wide.  The last issue I read had a headline about not being a "slave to the prototype".  There were at least three tips in that issue for making rivet details.  People weren't talking about leaving the hobby because of the unreliability of brass track.  

On one hand, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  Many folks today seem to be frustrated about either the expense or technological aspects of the hobby.  They are unaware that a used AHM locomotive from the 1970s will run just fine.  They are unaware that you don't have to use DCC.  They are unaware that you don't have to have a huge budget to enjoy this hobby.

On the other hand, I am recognizing that I have aged into the "nostalgia" years.  The hobby has moved towards DCC, sound, cameras, etc because that's what many younger people are into.  Without the technology, they probably would not be interested, and choose another hobby.  So its a balance - enough technology that draws younger folks in, but not too much that out prices and frustrates the average person.

I've considered going DCC many times, but in the end never made much sense for me personally.  I don't like sound.  If I wanted to listen to something when I run trains, I will put on a ball game or music.   I run in the steam era that did not even run headlights during the day.   Multiple locomotives?  It's been a long time since I had a layout that had enough track to to run more than one train at once.  I don't anticipate having such a layout in the future.  The only reason I can see going DCC is if I join a club.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by nachoman - 04-09-2021, 04:23 PM
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-10-2021, 07:11 AM
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-10-2021, 03:07 PM
RE: Technology: How Much Is Too Much? - by ezdays - 04-26-2021, 06:25 PM