RSS Feeds
I searched in this forum but didn't find any posts about RSS issues. I first subscribed, about a week ago, to numerous forums using RSS. After a couple of failed attempts it seemed to work and they appeared in my RSS reader, NetNewsWire. However, I am not receiving new posts, since the initial downloads. I have deleted the subscription and subscribed again, actually twice. Any ideas why new posts aren't being added after the initial set-up? Thanks, Glenn
What is a RSS reader?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(04-13-2021, 05:07 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: What is a RSS reader?

A RSS feed should send you things to your cell phone that you've subscribe to, you are suppose to be able to do that from Big Blue. I don't use it here or anywhere else so I haven't a clue how to set it up or troubleshoot it. I'm trying to get hold of Pat to see what he says. it could be that we need to update our software to the latest version. I know we are a few versions behind. Sometimes he waits to see if there are problems with updates before he updates ours. He's gotten nailed before with updates that don't work right, and backups that take a long time to restore our database.

I'm doing what I can, maybe I'll learn something new from this.......
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Don and Tyson,
Just to let you know that RSS (Really Simple Syndication) not only works on cell phones, but also on laptops and desktops. What type of device it works on depends upon the RSS reader you choose. Basically it gathers posts/information from websites that are related to topics you are interested in. (ie. model railroading or anything else) and the website provides a RSS feed. My RSS reader, NetNewsWire, currently "feeds" me posts/information from 15 websites. So, instead of me navigating to 15 individual websites and checking out each of their forums, any new posts are delivered to my reader automatically. No muss, no fuss, just the "new" information I desire, from the forums I choose. That includes getting posts only from forum topics I am interested in. If you like kit bashing, scratch building and tuning rolling stock, but hate DCC, air brushing and scenery, then choose the ones you like, from the websites you like. You might even like the dcc topic on one website, but not another. Hope there is an answer soon. My other 14 feeds work great. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I avoid a lot of the current technology, RSS included, not that there's anything wrong with any of it, I'm just satisfied right now with how I interact with the Internet. I knew a little about RSS so thanks for filling us in, that's handy to know. I just never tried to use it or even know how our software deals with it. That's why we have a webmaster.... I did talk to Pat, he's crawling around through the back door to see what he can find and will be in touch....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I responded to the poll concerning RSS. I chose the, " I have tried, but it isn't working properly" option. For the last two days I have been receiving posts but since I don't know how many I should be receiving, I am not sure if it is working properly, yet. I received two posts yesterday and one today. I started receiving them after I deleted the RSS feed and instead of selecting the forums I was interested in, I chose all of them. Three posts, in two days, certainly seems very low. I have not figured out how to determine exactly how many there were over the two days. At least some are being received. Glenn
(04-22-2021, 10:27 PM)glenng6 Wrote: Don, I responded to the poll concerning RSS. I chose the, " I have tried, but it isn't working properly" option. For the last two days I have been receiving posts but since I don't know how many I should be receiving, I am not sure if it is working properly, yet. I received two posts yesterday and one today. I started receiving them after I deleted the RSS feed and instead of selecting the forums I was interested in, I chose all of them. Three posts, in two days, certainly seems very low. I have not figured out how to determine exactly how many there were over the two days. At least some are being received. Glenn

Are you talking about total new posts per day from bigbluetrains, from all subforums?  Or the total number of threads that have new posts?

I am sure someone can come up with an actual number, but lately I think maybe about 10-20 new posts per day.  Many of those are in the same Hobo Campfire thread.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Glenn thanks for the info. Don't think I would be interested in it myself but I can see where some people would be.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(04-22-2021, 10:27 PM)glenng6 Wrote: Don, I responded to the poll concerning RSS. I chose the, " I have tried, but it isn't working properly" option. For the last two days I have been receiving posts but since I don't know how many I should be receiving, I am not sure if it is working properly, yet. I received two posts yesterday and one today. I started receiving them after I deleted the RSS feed and instead of selecting the forums I was interested in, I chose all of them. Three posts, in two days, certainly seems very low. I have not figured out how to determine exactly how many there were over the two days. At least some are being received. Glenn

Glenn, we've been trying to find out where or how the RSS feed interacts in MyBB, but can't. Pat has found several plug-ins we could add, but they are about ten years old and haven't been updated since then so it's not worth the risk adding something that old.

It's hard to say how many posts you should be seeing based on what forums you select. You can see all new posts in, "view today's posts" at the top of the page. Keven is right, in the past month, we've had one day where we had 12 posts, and another with 25 posts. Our average is around 18-20 new posts a day. The past two days we've had 13 new posts each day, and we've had 12 new posts so far today.

We'll do what we can, but as for my poll, we're trying to find out if anyone is using this function successfully.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, Thanks for your efforts in rectifying the RSS issue. As I wrote yesterday I am receiving some posts. Today I received two more. I decided to try defining the link again and this time I chose "Syndicate All Forums" with 50 threads at a time. It worked perfectly. I received 50 posts from between 2/19/21 and 4/23/21. Now to see what happens tomorrow.
Glenn,

Thank you for your efforts in this. There is nothing we can do on this end to change anything other than add an extension, and as Pat has found out, those that are available haven't been updated in ten years. Extensions can cause problems, even when current. Sorry to put you though this, but it's something that came with the package and we've never given it a thought before now.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and