Donnie's Art Shoppe
Debated just how much oxidation this roof should have. Concluded that I could always make it more if I need to so I started out low. As for the loose fit on the interior, as you can see in the photos, I opted to add spacers around the interior to get a friction fit for the exterior rather than try to do it using Velcro or a more permanent solution. It should work just fine. I did add glazing to the windows and an interior ceiling to defuse the light. I will comment further with my thoughts on detaling this model once I get it planted on my layout. The little guys are preparing the space as we speak. 2285_

So, here is where I am right now:

Attached Files Image(s)

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
WOW!! Icon_e_surprised , TRULY FANTASTIC WORK Don! Applause Applause Applause

My hats off to you on this project Worship
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Just about done, this structure is where it should be, added lighting and now all that is left is some landscaping. I have two buildings to put next to this one and I get a better price if I do all three at the same time. Makes sense.

Here's a few shots of how it looks with lighting.

Here's overall shots of the Historic District night and day

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Lookin' good, Don!   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Wow Don, that will be a tough act to follow. I think those signs are great and you made it fit right in. I am impressed.  Cheers Cheers Worship
Charlie
Thanks guys, Charlie, you were looking for kind of a critique of how things went, well, here's an update:

Quote:Just a few comments regarding detailing this model. First, I want to thank the person that sent it to me, it has given me hours of enjoyment and kept me out of trouble while working on it. Maybe that was the intent.

Now, if someone was after a keepsake or a collectable, I would say to not do anything to it but put it on a shelf. It comes with a certificate showing only 300 were ever made. However, if you plan on putting it on your layout as I have done, it would look strange unless it was painted.

It is not an easy model to paint with all the details molded in. I painted as much of the interior as I could without really messing it up. There would be no need to do that except I made the exterior removable and wanted as much of the inside painted as could be. I put both parts in my ultrasonic cleaner for about two minutes, I should have left the heater off since it got a bit soft sitting in hot cleaning solution. I then sprayed it with white primer. I used acrylic paint, and it needed two coats with lots of touch up. Screw up, change your mind, removing paint is easy, just a bit of isopropyl alcohol brings it back to the primer coat.

I did like working on it and would recommend any of the Gold Rush models. As I said, it’s difficult to paint with all those details molded it, plus it is very heat sensitive. I used an 12V incandescent lamp for lighting and did some testing to be sure it didn’t put off too much heat and start melting the plastic. The other problem I had was with fine plastic strings around the window openings, kind of like spider webs. It seems like I was constantly scraping them off. even after painting. That might have been as a result of cleaning or the heat or the 3D molding process, don’t know for sure.

It was fun, I’d do it again, I just hope I did it justice.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Excellent well done Don! Worship 

Lutz
2285_ Worship Applause
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thank you all, all I can say is that I tried, and hope I didn't mess it up too much. It was fun for sure. Icon_e_biggrin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and