3-Point Suspension of Trucks
This has long been a method to stabilize our cars. Just recently someone suggested this
http://www.proto87.com/HO_Proto87_car_st..._help.html

[b]"FAST AND EASY" CAR STABILIZERS SUSPENSION UNITS
[/b]
has anyone had occasion to make use of them??
I had previously seen this method,..

Cars "wiggle" because missing of a good working three-point suspension on cars! This is not a problem that can be solved by a steadier fixing of screws. Trucks need a free movement for following also a bad trackage. However not both trucks need should be absolutely free swivel, one yes, the second in a light limited manner.
Look the pictures and you know what I mean (and what I do with all my cars).
[Image: dreipunkt_01k.jpg]

One frame bolster is equipped with a washer for an increased position which fits the correct high of couplers and so this truck can swivel free over its center in all directions!
[Image: dreipunkt_02k.jpg]

The second truck lies on two off-center points so that the truck can not swing sideward. This is a typical three-point constraint that avoids wiggle of cars.
[Image: dreipunkt_03k.jpg]

Here yet a different solution for the truck with the sideward bracing - short square brass profiles are glued on car boolster and the truck received two nails (or small bolts) on right position.
I have never worried about wobble. When I was watching trains as a lad it was not uncommon to see that occur. So for me modeling the 60s when there was still a lot of 39' rail the wobble appears quite prototypical.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
But this wobble in our model train cars can contribute to derails, particularly in taller cars.
I have not had derailment problems other than when the operator is negligent in verifying the position of the approaching turnout.   Icon_e_surprised Icon_redface Nope

Tom

Why is it when I tried to search for this subject thread I posted only a day ago it did NOT show up in any list provided to me by the website? The only way I found myself back here was because another fellow bothered to reply.

While we are at it, why is it so difficult to find a 'new post' button on this site??
(10-13-2021, 06:51 AM)railandsail Wrote: Why is it when I tried to search for this subject thread I posted only a day ago it did NOT show up in any list provided to me by the website?....

I've found that the best way to do a search here is open the main page for Big Blue, then, right below the BIG BLUE TRAINS title are the words Portal - Search - Member List - Calendar - Help

If you click on the word "Search" there (not on the Search box in the dark grey line below that), then simply fill in the search keyword(s) and the required user name, you should find info pertinent to your search.

Wayne
Another quick way to find a thread you started is to go to your own profile and click on the link that shows the thread you started.

Tom