Northwest 22nd St, Miami
I thought its about time I post my rambings about my current project and my first US layout, of course being a Miami based layout a lot of inspiration has come from people like L mindheim and the guys doing great work on here such a Kurt, Gary and Reinhard and many others. In the UK I model P4 which is UK railways version of P87 so I'm accustomed to creating things myself and not using what is available to buy in every case so that means a lot of scratchbuilding/bashing.

Although I've not been to Miami I have been to the Caribbean and there are sections of Miami that do resemble the Caribbean which is one of the reasons I chose what I have rather than model it because its popular at the moment.

The plan is to model a section along the downtown spur along NW 22nd St. For me this model will be small and to what you guys would probably call a micro layout. Its only 5' long by 20" deep. Its based on the concept of less is more and prototypical style operation with just a couple of spurs off the main. The time period is current, my UK modelling is set in the 1980s so I chose to model the current day with my US modelling as I was starting from nothing.

Anyway I'll leave you with the track plan for now and I'll post up a little more detail and information as I catalog the building of this layout. There will be quite a lot of updating as its due for an exhibition in June this year so I've got a lot to be getting on with.

Here is the plan all the building labels equate to real plots that can be found on google maps if you look hard enough, its not an exact copy of the area as some buildings are taken from different parts of the area and arranged to fit the layout.

There is due to be a fiddleyard/storage area at each end of the layout so that it can be a through layout for exhibition purposes, but it may well see its first show with just the yard off scene to the left. For those that couldn't tell and I should have mentioned it higher up but it is going to be a HO layout using ME code 70 trackwork, although I may have to build the turnouts myself as there is a shortage of ME turnouts in the UK, I've got them on order but thats been since early Jan. Its based around CSX movements in Miami, but then most of you probably know that anyway.

I should have some photos of the benchwork in the week or so when the weather is better for outside photos.

Thanks for looking
Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
It all sounds quite interesting! I look forward to following your progress! And ...

Welcome

To Big Blue!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
No doubt that the Miami area is a great area to model. I know there are differing opinions on this, as some feel that mountainous terrain is the most photogenic, but the modern industrial areas in our southern cities are great subjects. Looking forward to your build, and it certainly sounds like you better get moving if you have to be ready in June!
Gary,Oddly I find modeling the urban area is harder then modeling mountain terrain.

Whatcha talking about Willis?

Modeling a urban area takes a fair amount of research once a location is found by using Google or Bing maps there are questions to be answered.

What type industries is located here?

What type of cars?

What railroad?

Whats the local scenery? Grass? Weeds? Sandy? Regular ground? Clay? Concrete? Mostly Stone/gravel?

Today's ISL designs leads to those questions since newer designs is based on a real locations even if its protolance.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Thanks guys for the welcome and the input.

I think that flat urban areas in such a small space as this is the only thing possible, I know that it can be done but this is what I prefer and the research has been 2+ years in the making. Almost all of my research has had to have been done with the help of google and bing maps.
Time shouldn't be an issue, I'm lucky that my day job allows me plenty of time for modelling. At its basic levels its really just the track the road and 5 styrene boxes. The woodwork is done and I'm just installing the lights at the moment.

Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
Brakie, I'm with ya. Since my layout is an ISL, I am doing exactly the things you mention. Research, trips to the industrial areas, taking photos, and building the structures and scenery to match prototype scenes. I find it to be very rewarding. Which was my point on comparing the differences in style that each of us has. Many folks don't like the industrial railroads, they prefer to see a train running through beautiful scenery. I'm glad the differences exist, and that there are many modeling themes and styles that we get to see.

Dave, you are correct, a small layout like yours wouldn't make much sense if it was a big ol' mountain! Big Grin
Hi guys, work continues a plenty here and hopefully at some point today I can get some photos taken as were blessed with some early spring sunshine, but I've got a question, in the UK we have limits to how close things are to the railway. Now my question is how close do you lay track next to a building or loading platform for a boxcar to load/unload. Is it just a case of as close as possible but so there is obviously no contact at any point?

tia
Dave
Dave, the NMRA track gauge has clearances on it. Here's a link to the NMRA page that explains everything. http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/gauge.html

Alternatively, you can just use some rolling stock to determine the clearance, put the building just a tad away, maybe 3/32" or so. Also, I have found that locos with sun shades over the windows are sometimes wider than boxcars, so allow for that if engines will be running next to the buildings. Also, more clearance is required for curves.

I am interested in hearing other people's responses too.
Thanks Gary,
I had a look earlier on NMRA site but some how missed that page that explained the letters, I had been using 15mm in my rough working out for the time being. Thanks for the tip about the locos only have 2 at the moment so checking won't be difficult.

Dave
dave_long Wrote:There is due to be a fiddleyard/storage area at each end of the layout so that it can be a through layout for exhibition purposes.......
Dave

Great to hear that you're managing to strike some sort of work/modelliing balance, and hope you received my post on your excellent blog site Thumbsup

Now, this is something that's been nagging me since I first saw your plan and as a 'Newbie' I've been putting off mentioning as it could be taken as a case of , "who's he to be lecturing a journeyman modeller as to how to proceed ....." etc. Also, If I did pluck up the courage to say anything, perhaps I should do it privately on your blog rather than in open forum, but as I feel we're amongst friends here, I'm sure I'll be given the benefit of tolerance - plus there'll be an opportunity for others to put me in my place Wink , so here goes:

I presume that with the benefit of a fiddle yard at either end you'll be engaging in 'running round', in addition to the 'Inglenook' type shunting which will, without doubt, add immensely to its operating potential as well as making things a little more prototypical? However, as a seasoned 'armchair modeller' with a library of modelling journals in the loft and the benefit of attending one or two exhibitions over the years, I'm aware that 'punters' feel a little short changed if they can't witness the entire procedure of the engine running round its train; in other words, ALL running round should be done on the scenic part of the layout. With such a small amount of 'proposed' real estate available I realise that this is not an option, which is why I thought I should mention before any track gets laid and while you're still in board building mode.
Additionally - I'll shut up after this - while 5' is small enough in British Railway Modelling terms, it is positively tiny in Railroading terms, bearing in mind the difference in length of even the smallest American stock to the humble British van. For instance, my plan - yes the one on the back of that old envelope Icon_lol - is based on Butley Mills - itself a micro at around 7' in viewing length, however, I had to adjust it accordingly to accomodate the larger American stock, hence its 9' length.

If this was just for home viewing, Dave, I'd have said absolutuely b*gger all, however, as you intend this for exhibition purposes, I thought I'd just give you the benefit of what little knowledge I have to make a slight improvement on what will inevitably prove a masterpiece.

Whatever you decide, be assured I shall be keeping a close eye to developments, and do my utmost to attend its first outing at the TVNAM (?) exhibition in the summer.

Jonte Smile
Another "2 turnout" layout! very cool. I think you've got plenty going on there as far as the scenickened portion goes. Detailing just that out is enough work as is. I've always been into the urban canyon motif. some kind of sector plate or transfer table within the left staging area would be a good start. looking forward to pics. -bill
Hi Jon

No worries any input is helpful. I haven't gone into this for a couple of reasons. The viewer will be able to see both fiddleyards and what happens in them, the main FY to the left which is where the operator will stand will be a cassette based system as this will make life easier to sort out the unlinked spur. I haven't had a chance to upload photos of the actual board itself yet from which you'll notice that unlike most exhibition layouts where the backscene turns 90 deg at the back corner and runs to the front usually with a hole in for the train to pass through into hidden fiddleyards well this isn't the case.

Alot of my influences on US layouts have been from friends locally to me who build small layouts and were ( sadly missed ) well connected with Carl Arendt. Have you seen Haston by C Gilbert http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.p...58-haston/ That might give you an idea of what I'm building a long with ChicagO fork layout http://carendt.us/scrapbook/page98a/inde...ho-chicago Both of these layout dont have end uprights for the backscene and Chicago fork shows that visual FYs can be well presented. Anyway at exhibition everyone always wants to look over and see whats going on in the FY.

The right hand FY will however for the short term be just a run around loop but probably ballasted so that it looks as though it fits the scene but that it is obviously a FY if you know what I mean. Then in the future a second layout may be built to attached to it.

I'm certainly going for the less is more idea at the moment, have a read of lance mindheim's recent blog entries on his ideas about how to operate a small layout, and then you can see lots of potential. Its all about the details, thats what I hope will make the layout something good to look at.

Thanks Mrbill, one of the main reasons I have chosen the downtown miami type layout is of all the colours that are there I do like industrial layouts but this will be colourful too.

Photos will come soon.

Rgds
Dave
Yes, I see what you mean, Dave. Killing two birds with one stone; very clever.

As one who enjoys nosing at 'what's behind the scenes', I definitely like the sound of that.

I particularly enjoyed Chris's series of photos showing his blow by blow account of how Haston was built (hint, hint 357 ) and his Youtube video.

His completed layout reminded me very much of this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ns1763.ca/rail/whr-minas-june27.html">http://www.ns1763.ca/rail/whr-minas-june27.html</a><!-- m --> Confusedhock: - I've got to build this myself - one day ?

If I was Richard Branson, I'd employ you on the spot and give you immediate payed leave to hasten proceedings - simply can't wait 2285_

Best wishes,

Jonte
Great link Jon, not seen that before and some great detail shots, I like the red tank with the garden on the back platform.

The turnout situation might have solved itself along the same lines that your trip out to hattons solved your issue. I've found a supplier of code 70 Shinohara switches, just a bit cheaper too. So I might check with myy ME supplier to what they think about timescales and try the shinoharas next week, would speed things up quite a bit too.

Anyone any views on shinohara v ME code 70 track and turnouts good,bad, indifferent.

Dave
dave_long Wrote:Great link Jon, not seen that before and some great detail shots, I like the red tank with the garden on the back platform.

Dave

Funnily enough, I hadn't noticed that before.

I'm pleased that you may have found an alternative remedy to your permanent way dilemma. Although deep down there's always that slight disappointment of not having gone with your first choice, ultimately, I believe it all boils down to the finish and attention to detail. For instance, I've seen some remarkable results with plain ordinary Peco track - Widnes Vine Yard and Chris Gilbert's Haston fall immediately to mind. Incidentally, I followed your advice and dropped in on Lance's blog site; I notice that he's replaced his Atlas Code 83 with Code 70, however, I really don't see the need as the 83 was fabulous and as for that 'Canal View' scene, well, the guy's simply a genius. I think that rather proves my point?

I'm sure you'll make a darned good job of whichever option you choose.

Jon.